Cardiologist visit may change everything

Having lived through what you are experiencing, it is understandable that this weighs heavily on you and your spouse. I had the same issue 8 years ago. The 2nd opinion is a solid suggestion, but I agree with many that responded and do not delay the procedure. Stay positive! :)

My DW had the same thing and had the valve replacement surgery last year (a little more than a year now she was 46 at the time). As you noted the first week of recovery is rough, Now 1 year later she is back to full activity riding her bicycle 50 miles every three days. She followed her doctor's instructions carefully for exercise and has done fine. The only annoying factor has been the requirement of taking blood thinners for the rest of your life. Best of luck to you it is a serious procedure but is done very often.

Thanks for all the comments. After a second opinion and another echo yesterday, waiting clearly isn't an option at this point. It's for the best, we just need to soldier on and get it taken care of.

Just finished reading the thread and noted pretty good comments from others. I just wanted to wish you the best as you and your wife go through this difficult period.

Best of luck to you. Putting off the procedure doesn't sound logical.

I have a history of heart disease in my family (grandfather died of a heat attack at 50). Should I be tested for heart disease? I am in good shape-- run 9-12 miles a week, eat well, 48 years old.

Just finished reading the thread and noted pretty good comments from others. I just wanted to wish you the best as you and your wife go through this difficult period.

+1. Given the progression of stenosis and the risk of sudden death, I think you are definitely making the right decision.

I have gone through the process of selecting a surgeon and hospital in recent weeks. Find the best, one who you believe will give you the best outcome.

You should also take a look at each hospitals' acquired infection rate as a part of your selection process.

Back
Top Bottom