Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cash price for dental cleanings?
Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cash price for dental cleanings?

Have had dental insurance for two years since ER and that covers two cleanings.

But they've raised the premiums so it's probably no longer worth it.

I may have a referral to a dentist who will charge $100 per cleaning visit. Is is in the South Bay Area (SF).

How much are people paying for routine dental visits?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

$140 here in Chicago burbs, by a dentist. Billed as $100 for cleaning, $40 for the exam.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I worked out a deal with my dentist that covers routine cleanings and X-rays (one set per year). I'm charged $80 for a cleaning and $40 for X-rays. I'm pretty happy with this, as I've been going to this dentist for over 10 years and don't want to switch just for a slightly lower rate somewhere, which I'm sure I could find if I shopped around. This is in the metro Atlanta area.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #4

Just paid $125 for a cleaning only (no exam) here in So Cal.

I am thinking of getting dental insurance through Costco for next year. It's $145/yr for both of us, so cheaper than any of the plans available on the Covered CA exchange. We'd have to change dentists though so I'm waffling.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #5

I have a discount plan for which I pay $59/year here in Phoenix. Cleanings cost me $57 (including a $12 sterilization fee) and the oral exam by the dentist costs me $25. All other services are discounted as well (IIRC, periodic bite wings are free.) A full set of X-rays costs $56.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Just paid $125 for a cleaning only (no exam) here in So Cal.

I am thinking of getting dental insurance through Costco for next year. It's $145/yr for both of us, so cheaper than any of the plans available on the Covered CA exchange. We'd have to change dentists though so I'm waffling.
Yeah if you go to Delta Dental directly, they have some $80 a year plans. I believe that covers like 2 cleanings but it's a specific set of dentists on their HMO network.

I recall searching some of them on Yelp last year and they generally didn't have the best reviews.

Certainly could save a lot of money that way but maybe going for the lowest price when it comes to your dental health is not the best route. Though, how badly can they mess up cleanings?
Old 11-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Those paying a modest yearly fee are "discount" programs--not really insurance.

My BCBS dental insurance is $33 per month, which includes 2 cleanings a year and a $1,500 max coverage per year. I recently had to have some minor dental surgery, so it's been worth it for me. And it's good to have if someone has to have a root canal and crown @ 50% coverage.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #8

We pay around $135 on the SF Peninsula, cleaning and exam. DH just retired in August and we've decided to go with the 18 mos. (dental) Cobra as he's in the process of getting an implant. We'll drop and self insure once the 18 mos. are up.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Those paying a modest yearly fee are "discount" programs--not really insurance.

My BCBS dental insurance is $33 per month, which includes 2 cleanings a year and a $1,500 max coverage per year. I recently had to have some minor dental surgery, so it's been worth it for me. And it's good to have if someone has to have a root canal and crown @ 50% coverage.
When I initially signed up, it was like $21 and change per month.

I got some quotes for cleaning and exams and the insurance would have been worth it for two cleanings.

But they've raised the premiums a couple of times.

Well I spent $1000 on a crown under my insurance rates. Find out some people I know pay about that much for the cash rate.

I also had laser oral surgery on the recommendation of my dentist, who referred me to a periodontist, who charged me $1400, with some minimal payout from my insurance.

So I'm not sure how much of a discount I'm getting.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
We pay around $135 on the SF Peninsula, cleaning and exam. DH just retired in August and we've decided to go with the 18 mos. (dental) Cobra as he's in the process of getting an implant. We'll drop and self insure once the 18 mos. are up.
The dentist I had for years when I was employed proposed a dental implant and it would have been about $2900 out of pocket out of total $4200 charged under my previous employer insurance.

So I could have had Cobra at like $800 a month to save $1300 in the total cost of the implant.

Needless to say, I didn't go with Cobra and I went to a $21 a month plan which covered cleanings through a network which didn't include my existing dentist so I switched.

The new dentist didn't mention anything about an implant but did refer me to a periodontist for a different tooth for possible oral surgery, which I did.

There are dentists who advertise like $1400 for a dental implant around here but it's not clear if that covers all the procedures needed for an implant. The plan that my old dentist proposed was 2 or 3 procedures to be done over several months for that one implant.

Anyways, I'll see if other dentists point out the need for an implant. Implants are probably discretionary since insurance doesn't cover most of it, dentists have to convince you that you need it. I remain unconvinced and it's been over 2 years since I was told I needed it.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It used to be cheaper.... even last year....

DW just went in and it was $160 for cleaning and exam... no X-rays...

I will warn on people buying on the exchange... I had one early this year and we went to the dentist.... it said 100% for cleanings, however it only paid 50% or so of the bill... they want you to go to the 'cheap' dentists...

Also be careful of the cheap ones... the hygienist at my old dentist said she worked with one of them since had had gone part time prior to his retiring... said she had only half the time needed to clean properly.... so they would only clean the worst parts and leave the rest.... also tried to have you do work that was not needed...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Kaiser has a PPO plan administered by Delta Dental at $28.09 a month.

Two cleanings with any dentist, annual $25 deductible.

But that is an add-on if you enroll in a Kaiser plan directly. Not available if you enroll in the same Kaiser plan through the Covered CA exchange.

The health plans are identical as far as I can tell. The only "bonus" for enrolling with Kaiser directly is the chance to add on the dental plan and some kind of discounts for vision.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #13

In southern Ohio, my dentist charges $54 for a routine exam and $91 for a cleaning. Four bitewing X-rays (annually) are another $90.

We have insurance (subsidized by DW's former employer) that covers 90% of that, for which we pay $29 a month for two of us.

We love our dentist.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #14

I drive 25 miles to Mexico and get dental cleaning and exam for $30, very good service..
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #15

My dental COBRA coverage just ended this month as well. My plan is to use Groupon deals for bi-annual x-rays/cleaning/polishing. I've seen some for as low as $23 in the LA area.

I have heard stories of going to a new dentist only for that dentist to suddenly "find" thousands of dollars of major dental work "urgently" needed. I'm safeguarding against this by (1) having been just given a completely clean bill of oral health by the highly trusted dentist I had been seeing for years when covered by employer and COBRA insurance; and (2) should something unexpected actually do occur (tooth pain, etc.), I'll join immediately join Carrington's 500 plan and go back to my aforementioned prior long-time dentist who I trust to get whatever needed work, if any, done. I've already checked and my prior long-time dentist accepts Carrington and coverage is Carrington coverage is immediate upon enrollment.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #16

At our dentist cleaning, xrays and exam are $103. Last year the same thing was $99, so the increase is very reasonable. They call this the "coupon rate" but there is no coupon needed, it's just the rate without insurance. This is the same dentist that we had before DH retired. When DH worked we had a dental insurance plan and our cleanings, xrays and exam were at no cost.

Our dentist suggested we look into Careington, which is a discount plan. We didn't buy it.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've run the math on our employer group dental plan. It costs us very close to what we'd pay out of pocket for regular cleanings, exams and X-rays (which are all paid 100% by the plan, and the plan has no deductible for other covered services), maybe an extra $50-100 a year. But getting to pay the premiums pre-tax and being covered for occasional larger expenses more or less makes that worth doing.

If the insurance cost more than that it might not be worth getting. But we know we'll be doing regular dental maintenance anyway, and the cost for two of us (about $600 a year, about $500 after tax) is very nearly what we would pay for the services anyway, and our dentist is in the network, so for us it made sense since even if we have no other dental work needed, we roughly break even. YMMV, of course.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, I hadn't heard of Careington.

Another network of providers to research ...
Old 11-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

$125, all inclusive. My dentist is considered to be a bit on the expensive side for this area.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #20

$80 for cleaning.
Another $40 for exam (one time per year)
Another $40 for xrays (one time per year).

Our dentist doesn't take any insurance less than a PPO and doesn't offer a significant cash discount - 2% if you pay in actual cash (vs check or credit card)... I think they want to discourage that.

But - our dentist is great. He caught the cyst in my son's jaw that didn't show up on the regular x-rays... gave us the referral that led us to my son's jaw surgery this past Tuesday.