Cataract lens options

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
This is for anyone who has undergone cataract surgery.

I'm extremely nearsighted, and have worn glasses since the age of six, bifocals for the last 15 years.

I've noticed my vision getting blurry over the past few years, a sign of developing cataracts. The last time I saw my ophthalmologist she said it was just a matter of when my vision was no longer acceptable to me. I think that time is coming soon, probably in the next year or two.

I realize that my main options are for replacement lenses optimized for distance, close up work, or one of each (the brain makes the adjustment). I think there are also some newer multi focus lenses, but I'm not sure.

Which option (distance/close/combination) do you recommend, and why?
My gut feeling is that I'd be best with distance vision, since I could just get by with ordinary reading glasses, but on the other hand I've been happy all my life to do close up work by simply taking my glasses off.

It's kind of a dilemma for me, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

I can't make a recommendation but I can tell you that I got the combo job done and am extremely happy with the results. No glasses for reading up close and my distance vision is about 20/40 (plenty good enough for me). Like you, I dealt with glasses all my life and it was just a PITA. Getting cataracts turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me. I was apprehensive (ok, ok, scared!) but the surgery was a breeze and your vision is set for life. It's been several years since I had mine done and at the time the multifocals didn't have enough history to go by. It may be different now. Good luck with your decision.

I had monovision( One eye is for distance & one eye is for close ) implants after my Cataract surgery . I had worn monovision contacts so I was a good candidate for it . When I had my surgery the newer lenses were just being developed so I shyed away from the multi focal. I am six years post surgery and have great vision with no problems at all .I occasionally wear reading glasses ( Walmart specials ) if I am reading for a long time . It is more habit than necessity .

I had implants on both eyes about 5 years ago. I paid the extra to have multi-focal lens and have been very satisfied. No need for glasses for the first time since early teens. Used a Rezoom lens in my dominant eye for its strength in distance and a ReStor in the other eye for its midrange and near capabilities. The doctor did a great job of fitting and getting the right prescription. In fact, we delayed the second eye to get a different prescription once they checked the correction in the dominant eye with the ReZoom lens.
As point of clarification, both types of lens correct the full range of distances but when I had the work done, each mfg's design had its advantages. Don't be afraid to mix and match if you can get better results.
Good Luck
Nwsteve

Similar case, glasses since age 7. A few years ago had cataract surgery, type ZA9003 in each eye.

Great. Love the colors which were all washed out before.

Note, with cataract lenses you will have built in UV filters. These lenses have a very sharp cutoff just below the UV range.

I do need external correction for reading, 1.25 diopter works well enough, ( the $6.00 variety) for more detail I use 1.50 glasses. All for close-up work.

I had implants on both eyes about 5 years ago. I paid the extra to have multi-focal lens and have been very satisfied.
As point of clarification, both types of lens correct the full range of distances but when I had the work done, each mfg's design had its advantages. Don't be afraid to mix and match if you can get better results.
Good Luck
Nwsteve

Thank you. I have wondering what people thought of these new lenses.

I had implants on both eyes about 5 years ago. I paid the extra to have multi-focal lens and have been very satisfied. No need for glasses for the first time since early teens. Used a Rezoom lens in my dominant eye for its strength in distance and a ReStor in the other eye for its midrange and near capabilities. The doctor did a great job of fitting and getting the right prescription. In fact, we delayed the second eye to get a different prescription once they checked the correction in the dominant eye with the ReZoom lens.
Now that more light is getting through your eyeballs to your retinas, do you still need more/brighter light to get enough contrast to read small print?

There are many times when printed matter is in focus for me, but I still need more light to be able to bring up enough contrast.

From what I've read in the literature, it's either less light getting through the lenses or the retinas losing their light sensitivity. Cataract surgery can help a lot with the first but I don't think there's a fix for the second.

Nords,
For the most part--yes to the smaller fonts being more legible with regular light. I do find that with 3-5 pt font, I still benefit from good contrast. For example, I had to get direct light to make out the intl phone number on the back of my credit card--but still could do it without glasses.
Did have a Yag lazer treatment on one eye last month that had begun to have some fuzziness on the edges--apparently very common with cataret surgery. Took all of about 10 minutes and totally free of any discomfort.
Nwsteve

Nords,
For the most part--yes to the smaller fonts being more legible with regular light. I do find that with 3-5 pt font, I still benefit from good contrast. For example, I had to get direct light to make out the intl phone number on the back of my credit card--but still could do it without glasses.
Did have a Yag lazer treatment on one eye last month that had begun to have some fuzziness on the edges--apparently very common with cataret surgery. Took all of about 10 minutes and totally free of any discomfort.
Nwsteve
Thanks-- good to know. Our optometrist is already seeing tiny cataracts but I probably have years to go.

My father moved to a new apartment years ago and told me once that he thought his new town had repainted all their fire trucks orange. Then his optometrist pointed out a cataract. He had a 1990s lens installed to make the fire trucks red again, but I remember that a while later he also had to have an uneventful YAG treatment.

I recently visited my opthamologist as well. I don't have any indications of cataracts yet, but was also interested in understanding the options to get rid of my glasses which I have been wearing for 45 years, with the later 10 years using progressive lenses.

My Dr is a big proponent of Crystalens which will adjust for distance, mid and close up ranges. While the probability of a good outcome is very high, I'm not sure I will pursue this surgery until cataracts development.

I had cataract surgery in my right eye in March (the left eye has no cataract yet). Since my left eye is very good without correction for distance but not for close sight, I had the right eye monofocal adjusted for reading distance. I'm very happy to have one eye that can read without reading glasses--comes in very handy for all sorts of things!--although I do wear reading glasses for extended reading.

Back
Top Bottom