Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have an aunt who is about 8 years older than me. Prior to her surgery they asked if she wanted to be near sighted or far sighted after the surgery. She told them far sighted. She says this was a huge mistake because she has had a tough time getting glasses that compensate for the far farsightedness adequately.

I told her I would remember that when my time comes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your aunt should look into progressive bifocals. Nothing on the top, with near field correction in the bottom. Gradual transition in between.

That might be exactly what she needs.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Cameron View Post
I have an aunt who is about 8 years older than me. Prior to her surgery they asked if she wanted to be near sighted or far sighted after the surgery. She told them far sighted. She says this was a huge mistake because she has had a tough time getting glasses that compensate for the far farsightedness adequately.
I don't understand why anybody would choose to be farsighted after a cataract operation. Wouldn't that mean you would need a plus correction for your distance vision and a higher plus correction for near vision, making it necessary to have bifocals or progressives?
Old 08-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Every time I asked my ophthalmologist over the years, I always got the same answer: "Cataract surgery should be done when you're not satisfied with your vision anymore. It's that simple.
Funny, when I heard that from an ophthamologist my thought was it wasn't a smart or helpful thing to say. Now, a little less than 2 years later, it makes total sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post

Hope my sharing helps.
Sure does, and thanks for sharing it.

Halos are the most frequently mentioned negative after effect of cataract surgery. I guess they cannot be predicted and vary in severity?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

MichaelB, the severity of glares and halos differ a lot from person to person - even differ from my left to right eye. For me, it was really bad for the first year for both eyes esp for the eye which underwent surgery. During the night when entering a tunnel at night, I would be like blinded by the glares and halos so much so there is no way I can comfortably drive. Even watching TV under spotlights or yellow lights can be very disturbing. I still experience glares and halos today ( to a much reduced extent compared to the first year) esp under yellow lights. They can still be disturbing when I watch TV.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #26

Update

Had my first eye done last Thursday. Vision is now 20/20, the world is brighter (in my right eye) and the contrast is amazing. My left eye will be done in two weeks. The eye drops are a real PITA but I'm careful not to miss any.

The glasses I ordered were a waste of money, I simply can't adjust to one lens with a correction and one without. Should have taken W2R's advice. Anyway, they weren't that expensive, I got them from Zenni and can return for a partial refund or a full store credit. I'll probably take the credit, I now need reading glasses. Zenni also offers non-Rx sunglasses with purple lenses, an option I simply can't resist.

Even if it's just one eye, it's so nice to see clearly again.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1

How was the procedure? Any discomfort/pain/ickyness?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good to hear everything went well! Waking up without having to reach for glasses immediately is a real treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #29

I like to say that I was blessed to have had cataracts and now no longer wear thick glasses. I only occasionally wear reading glasses. It was a miracle. I know you will feel the same way.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #30

How old are you guys (and gals) to have had this surgery? I am in my mid fifties and I get my eyes checked every year, but my doc hasn't mentioned anything about cataract up until this point.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #31

I'm very nearsighted and have had my eyes checked regularly. No cataracts at age 55. I have a friend younger than me with cataracts. Next eye exam, just ask. You're probably fine.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
How old are you guys (and gals) to have had this surgery? I am in my mid fifties and I get my eyes checked every year, but my doc hasn't mentioned anything about cataract up until this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I'm very nearsighted and have had my eyes checked regularly. No cataracts at age 55. I have a friend younger than me with cataracts. Next eye exam, just ask. You're probably fine.
I'm 61. The telltale sign of my cataracts was 1) I suddenly needed glasses, about 4 years ago, then 2) the prescriptions only lasted 8 months or so, then things were blurry again. It was time to do something when, at the last refraction, the tech said "this is as good as it gets" and things were still blurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I like to say that I was blessed to have had cataracts and now no longer wear thick glasses. I only occasionally wear reading glasses. It was a miracle. I know you will feel the same way.
It's early, but I'm already feeling that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Good to hear everything went well! Waking up without having to reach for glasses immediately is a real treat!
I know! I can even see read the clock now.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Had my first eye done last Thursday. Vision is now 20/20, the world is brighter (in my right eye) and the contrast is amazing. My left eye will be done in two weeks. The eye drops are a real PITA but I'm careful not to miss any.

The glasses I ordered were a waste of money, I simply can't adjust to one lens with a correction and one without. Should have taken W2R's advice. Anyway, they weren't that expensive, I got them from Zenni and can return for a partial refund or a full store credit. I'll probably take the credit, I now need reading glasses. Zenni also offers non-Rx sunglasses with purple lenses, an option I simply can't resist.

This sounds great. Brighter is good, contrast is good, and no correction needed is amazing! I am expecting to need this surgery sometime in the next few years, but have been delaying as long as seems reasonable.

So happy to hear of your great outcome!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How was the procedure? Any discomfort/pain/ickyness?
No. Not much for me to compare, though, it's my first time in a hospital as an adult patient.

DW was there and commented on how careful everything was. The biggest discomfort was the prior day after midnight fast, so no morning coffee. The procedure itself was quick and painless. I was awake but have no memory of the few minutes it took but recall immediately before and after - even two of the nurses complaining about the high cost of health care!

The biggest ickyness for me is the eyedrops. I can clean bloody wounds and have needles stuck in me all day, but need help putting drops in my eyes. Now it's three drops, each four times a day, for four weeks. I comply because all the literature I saw pointed to post-op infection as the overwhelming source of surgery problems.

I am much less apprehensive about the upcoming left eye job, 2 1/2 weeks to go.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The biggest ickyness for me is the eyedrops. I can clean bloody wounds and have needles stuck in me all day, but need help putting drops in my eyes. Now it's three drops, each four times a day, for four weeks. I comply because all the literature I saw pointed to post-op infection as the overwhelming source of surgery problems.
Wow.

I'll happily trade eyedrops 4X a day for needles and blood - especially MY blood!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #36

I was about 55 when my cataracts made it difficult to drive. They started mostly in my left eye, but then when I could tell a difference in my right eye, too, I got the surgery. For me, it was like a very thin tissue over my left eye. Very cloudy.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Michael , Glad you had a great result !Hope the second eye is just as easy !
Old 10-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I was about 55 when my cataracts made it difficult to drive. They started mostly in my left eye, but then when I could tell a difference in my right eye, too, I got the surgery. For me, it was like a very thin tissue over my left eye. Very cloudy.
Wow. I didn't know it could happen at such an young age (well, relateively speaking..). I need to get mine checked specifically for this next time. I can see pretty good, but my night vision, not so much.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Wow. I didn't know it could happen at such an young age (well, relateively speaking..). I need to get mine checked specifically for this next time. I can see pretty good, but my night vision, not so much.
The doc can tell you if you have cataract, and about how far it has progressed, but you're the final judge of when or if to get the surgery.

Every time I pressed my ophthalmologist as to when it would be time, the answer was always the same: "You'll know. When your vision is no longer acceptable to you, that's the time."

She was exactly right.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The doc can tell you if you have cataract, and about how far it has progressed, but you're the final judge of when or if to get the surgery.

Every time I pressed my ophthalmologist as to when it would be time, the answer was always the same: "You'll know. When your vision is no longer acceptable to you, that's the time."

She was exactly right.
I guess I am still OK then