Join Early Retirement Today

Cataract questions
Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Administrator

Cataract questions

I've been putting off a new thread on this but will delay no longer. More questions to come, but I'll start with a couple, all asked at the doctor's office but getting general or vague responses.

- Realistically, how long should one wait before getting the second eye done? What is the shortest recommended time?

- It looks like new eyeglasses are needed for the interim period, even if they only last a month. Is this what everyone does?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
s.

- Realistically, how long should one wait before getting the second eye done? What is the shortest recommended time?
I was told that at about a 4 to 5 diopter difference the brain can no longer manage the differences in vision with glasses. YMMV. I found that to be true in my case. So, I had the 2nd eye done about a month after the first.

One exception, if you use a contact lens for the eye not operated on, the above probably does not apply. Alas, my eyes and contact lenses have never go along very well.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I've been putting off a new thread on this but will delay no longer. More questions to come, but I'll start with a couple, all asked at the doctor's office but getting general or vague responses.

- It looks like new eyeglasses are needed for the interim period, even if they only last a month. Is this what everyone does?
Had 2nd eye done 3 weeks after first. I would think the sooner the better. They only delay it to make sure there is no infection. I just had the optometrist replace the corrective lens over first eye with glass. Only charged $25 for that. Threw them away after eye #2 was done. Good luck! You'll be amazed...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #4

My doc routinely schedules the second eye a month after the first. He says that lets him be assured the first one is stable with no problems.

I took my glasses in to the optician where I got them and they replaced one of the lenses with a "plano" (non-prescription) lens at no charge. They said they do that routinely. It took care of me nicely for the interim month.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My wife had the second eye down exactly two weeks after the first eye. She had no complaints with how this went. In fact, she was quite pleased that she had it done -- meaning she had great reservations about someone operating on her eyes.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Administrator

Thanks for the responses. I'm guessing somewhere between 3 and 4 weeks is enough, most problems probably show after the first couple of days. One would never think that scheduling something would be so challenging in retirement, but this is proving to be the case for me. Or maybe I'm just reluctant and this is how it shows.

My glasses are from an online shop so I can't stop by for a lens change. I can send in an old frame, they'll refit with a new lens, I need to see how long it will take. I'll check with the ophthalmologist but don't expect any inexpensive options.

Another question to those that chose monofocal lenses. Did you need reading glasses after the procedure?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #7

I had posted a few updates about my surgery several months ago.. a lot of folks commented on their experience...might be somewhat helpful. Here's the first report

Cataract Surgery report
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another question to those that chose monofocal lenses. Did you need reading glasses after the procedure?
Excellent question. My wife was telling friends yesterday how much her vision has improved since the surgery. So I asked her what she meant by that. (Her surgery was last November 18 and Dec 2).) She explained that she opted for bifocals but except for the "prism" problem she no longer needs glasses to focus on distance objects. In addition, she said that her near vision has improved to the point that holding a paper at arms length she can read newsprint-sized print without glasses... and even that is getting better quite rapidly.

She said that (excepting the "prism" issue) she can see not needing glasses at all in the near future. YMMV, of course.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

4-6 weeks. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I was told that at about a 4 to 5 diopter difference the brain can no longer manage the differences in vision with glasses. YMMV. I found that to be true in my case. So, I had the 2nd eye done about a month after the first.

One exception, if you use a contact lens for the eye not operated on, the above probably does not apply
That is correct. The brain has a problem with the magnification difference caused by the eyeglass lens being a distance from the cornea (and therefore further from the lens). With a contact lens directly on the cornea, this problem goes away.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes, but ...

When the print (or computer screen) font size is big enough, I don't need any help to read. That covers probably 75% of the time. However, it's usually more comfortable to put on a pair of readers.

I even have readers in two different strengths (1.75 and 2.25) for different common situations.

For the remaining 25% of the time, readers are definitely needed, no question.

Frankly, it still seems a little odd to be putting on and taking off glasses, and it's been well over a year since my surgeries. All my life before that, it was put them on when I wake up, take 'em off when I go to sleep.

Am I glad I got the monofocals? Definitely. Couldn't be happier. Just get used to carrying a pair of readers in your pocket and you'll be golden. In fact, you'll probably be like me and wind up with many pairs of them. Costco sells them in 3-packs, so it's obviously common.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
….

Yes you will if both eyes are set for distance. After months of back and forth, I opted for the monofocal lens and couldn't be happier. I only had to have one eye done as my other eye's cataract is so tiny it is not affecting my vision. I now have monovision (the near/far combo) and am pleased beyond expectations with the results. Other than a pair of distance sunglasses strictly for driving, I have tossed my glasses and now have room in my purse for DH's sunglasses .

When my other eye needs surgery, the lens will be for near vision, thereby retaining my monovision.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I'm guessing somewhere between 3 and 4 weeks is enough, most problems probably show after the first couple of days. One would never think that scheduling something would be so challenging in retirement, but this is proving to be the case for me. Or maybe I'm just reluctant and this is how it shows.

My glasses are from an online shop so I can't stop by for a lens change. I can send in an old frame, they'll refit with a new lens, I need to see how long it will take. I'll check with the ophthalmologist but don't expect any inexpensive options.

I wonder if perhaps you could simply remove the lens, instead of getting a clear lens. It would look pretty bad, I suppose, but only for a month.

I have no idea about reading glasses, since I haven't had this surgery yet. I do plan to get the monofocal lens when the time comes, and I would be puzzled if reading glasses were not necessary. I don't know how that could be handled during that month.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Michael , Problems show up very quickly usually within the first two weeks . I had mono vision lenses ( one for distance & one for close ) and I occasionally use cheap Dollar store readers if I am reading for a long time . Otherwise I never wear any glasses . It is the easiest surgery I ever had . Eye drops, a pinch of relaxation and ten minutes later it was all over . Then eye drops & maybe a patch for a few days . Good Luck ! You will do great !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Had both eyes fixed six weeks apart. I wore a contacts lens during the period. It is nice to see without glasses.

The only thing to be aware of is that you become at greater risk for retinal detachment. I had that happen to me and had to do the whole lie down face down thing.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Had both eyes fixed six weeks apart. I wore a contacts lens during the period. It is nice to see without glasses.

The only thing to be aware of is that you become at greater risk for retinal detachment. I had that happen to me and had to do the whole lie down face down thing.
I was told the greater risk was for vitreous (sp?) separation rather than retinal detachment. VS is very common after 50 and I have several friends who have had this at around that age. DH in his mid 60s, and me, at 60 right after cataract surgery. Unfortunately, I did have retinal tears and detachment (had to have 2 laser repairs) as a result of the VS, even though I didn't have those risk factors…severe myopia being one. It's something that concerns me and I will be doing a bit more research as i have a teeny, tiny cataract in my other eye which will need surgery at some future point in time.

My VS and resulting retinal tears/detachment occurred during heavy exercise and I am just now getting back into my gym routine, even though the doc cleared me at least a month ago.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:50 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My eye surgeon scheduled my second cataract removal about two weeks after the first one. The only slightly annoying thing about that timing was making the pre- and post-op eyedrop schedule quite complicated. (Predictably, I built myself a day-by-day eyedrop spreadsheet...)

He strongly recommended monofocal. (I inferred he had some dissatisfied multi-focal patients in the past.) Since, like braumeister, I had spent nearly a lifetime donning glasses as the first thing I did in the morning, it has not been a hassle to have readers around the house and with me out-of-house. (I recently met someone who had multi-focal and loves the results. YMMV.)

WR2 - I did indeed just have the eyeglass tech at my surgeon's office pop one of my lens out. It looked a little odd, but only a couple of people noticed it.

After nearly a lifetime of being very near-sighted, being 20/20 in one eye and almost 20/15 in the other is delightful!

P.S. For those needing readers, Costco now carries cheap sunglass-readers. Great for all your lazy summer reading afternoons!
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:55 AM   #18
Administrator

I do have advanced macular degeneration and some retina damage, including a hole, and cataract surgery might increase the risk of further damage here. Certainly all the ophthalmologists involved so far have been hesitant to commit to a specific level of improvement after cataract removal, preferring to stay vague. "You'll be pleased" and "somewhere between 30% to 60% of the vision you've lost recently". One even said "there's no way to know, and we may never know" which I took as an invitation to find another doctor.

I don't feel that I have a choice. A few years ago, when first diagnosed with cataracts, they basically said that cataracts cause a steady progressive loss in vision, this is dealt with by getting new eyeglasses with stronger corrections, and this continues until new glasses don't provide enough improvement. My last two refractions indicate I've reached that point, the decline has not ceased and now I'm motivated.

I'm going to schedule 4 weeks in-between and make sure I have nothing big for at least a month after the second eye. Time to get moving on this.

W2R, good idea about removing a lens, but I think my family around here would not let me live it down. After 4 prescription changes in the last 3 years I have a few frames laying around, I'm going to send one back to the online shop and order a new interim pair.

Appreciate the comments so far.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #19

Quote:
this is dealt with by getting new eyeglasses with stronger corrections, and this continues until new glasses don't provide enough improvement. My last two refractions indicate I've reached that point, the decline has not ceased and now I'm motivated.
Every time I asked my ophthalmologist over the years, I always got the same answer: "Cataract surgery should be done when you're not satisfied with your vision anymore. It's that simple."

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
The only slightly annoying thing about that timing was making the pre- and post-op eyedrop schedule quite complicated. (Predictably, I built myself a day-by-day eyedrop spreadsheet...)
My doc gave me a great spreadsheet-type chart showing exactly what drops to use every day. But if you don't get one, I second the recommendation to make your own. It was fairly complex.
Cataract questions
Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cataract questions

MichaelB, just read this thread. I just want to share my experience. I too have bad macular degeneration with retina tear and some internal bleeding in the right eye. I did a surgery 4 years ago to repair the tear, remove floaters and bleeding and had to go through around 3 weeks of face down recovery. During that surgery, the ophthalmologist also did cataract surgery for my right eye as I had cataract. After the surgery and recovery, I experienced glares and halos and still have them now though they are much improved. My other eye is very myopic with macular degeneration and I tried to delay cataract done on it as much as I can as I knew the dangers like retina detachment etc. the doctor said that the most I can delay it to is 1 year as usually people do the other eye quite quickly but he understood my concerns. I eventually did cataract surgery on my left eye around a year later with a mono vision correction. I experienced similar halo effects and glares and they still continue to this day though at a lesser form. Other than the halos and glare under lights, I see pretty well. This year I felt my left eye blurring up again and I asked the ophthalmologist on the blur. He told me that 60% of patients experience this blurring effect as the transparent capsule that supports the intraocular lens may become cloudy after 1-2 years. I am now scheduled for a capsulotomy coming Thursday which can restore the vision. There are side effects of retina detachment (2%of patients get it) following a capsulotomy but I advised that given the extent of my blurring, it is worthwhile to do the capsulotomy now. Hope my sharing helps.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote