Cataract questions

Update

Had my first eye done last Thursday. Vision is now 20/20, the world is brighter (in my right eye) and the contrast is amazing. My left eye will be done in two weeks. The eye drops are a real PITA but I'm careful not to miss any.

The glasses I ordered were a waste of money, I simply can't adjust to one lens with a correction and one without. Should have taken W2R's advice. Anyway, they weren't that expensive, I got them from Zenni and can return for a partial refund or a full store credit. I'll probably take the credit, I now need reading glasses. Zenni also offers non-Rx sunglasses with purple lenses, an option I simply can't resist.

Even if it's just one eye, it's so nice to see clearly again.

Good to hear everything went well! Waking up without having to reach for glasses immediately is a real treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I like to say that I was blessed to have had cataracts and now no longer wear thick glasses. I only occasionally wear reading glasses. It was a miracle. I know you will feel the same way.

How old are you guys (and gals) to have had this surgery? I am in my mid fifties and I get my eyes checked every year, but my doc hasn't mentioned anything about cataract up until this point.

I'm very nearsighted and have had my eyes checked regularly. No cataracts at age 55. I have a friend younger than me with cataracts. Next eye exam, just ask. You're probably fine.

How old are you guys (and gals) to have had this surgery? I am in my mid fifties and I get my eyes checked every year, but my doc hasn't mentioned anything about cataract up until this point.

I'm very nearsighted and have had my eyes checked regularly. No cataracts at age 55. I have a friend younger than me with cataracts. Next eye exam, just ask. You're probably fine.
I'm 61. The telltale sign of my cataracts was 1) I suddenly needed glasses, about 4 years ago, then 2) the prescriptions only lasted 8 months or so, then things were blurry again. It was time to do something when, at the last refraction, the tech said "this is as good as it gets" and things were still blurry.

I like to say that I was blessed to have had cataracts and now no longer wear thick glasses. I only occasionally wear reading glasses. It was a miracle. I know you will feel the same way.
It's early, but I'm already feeling that way. :)

Good to hear everything went well! Waking up without having to reach for glasses immediately is a real treat!
I know! I can even [-]see[/-] read the clock now.

Had my first eye done last Thursday. Vision is now 20/20, the world is brighter (in my right eye) and the contrast is amazing. My left eye will be done in two weeks. The eye drops are a real PITA but I'm careful not to miss any.

The glasses I ordered were a waste of money, I simply can't adjust to one lens with a correction and one without. Should have taken W2R's advice. Anyway, they weren't that expensive, I got them from Zenni and can return for a partial refund or a full store credit. I'll probably take the credit, I now need reading glasses. Zenni also offers non-Rx sunglasses with purple lenses, an option I simply can't resist.

Even if it's just one eye, it's so nice to see clearly again.

This sounds great. Brighter is good, contrast is good, and no correction needed is amazing! :D I am expecting to need this surgery sometime in the next few years, but have been delaying as long as seems reasonable.

So happy to hear of your great outcome! :dance:

How was the procedure? Any discomfort/pain/ickyness?
No. Not much for me to compare, though, it's my first time in a hospital as an adult patient. :)

DW was there and commented on how careful everything was. The biggest discomfort was the prior day after midnight fast, so no morning coffee. The procedure itself was quick and painless. I was awake but have no memory of the few minutes it took but recall immediately before and after - even two of the nurses complaining about the high cost of health care!

The biggest ickyness for me is the eyedrops. I can clean bloody wounds and have needles stuck in me all day, but need help putting drops in my eyes.:facepalm: Now it's three drops, each four times a day, for four weeks. I comply because all the literature I saw pointed to post-op infection as the overwhelming source of surgery problems.

I am much less apprehensive about the upcoming left eye job, 2 1/2 weeks to go.

Last edited:
The biggest ickyness for me is the eyedrops. I can clean bloody wounds and have needles stuck in me all day, but need help putting drops in my eyes.:facepalm: Now it's three drops, each four times a day, for four weeks. I comply because all the literature I saw pointed to post-op infection as the overwhelming source of surgery problems.
Wow.

I'll happily trade eyedrops 4X a day for needles and blood - especially MY blood! :nonono:

I was about 55 when my cataracts made it difficult to drive. They started mostly in my left eye, but then when I could tell a difference in my right eye, too, I got the surgery. For me, it was like a very thin tissue over my left eye. Very cloudy.

I was about 55 when my cataracts made it difficult to drive. They started mostly in my left eye, but then when I could tell a difference in my right eye, too, I got the surgery. For me, it was like a very thin tissue over my left eye. Very cloudy.

Wow. I didn't know it could happen at such an young age (well, relateively speaking..). I need to get mine checked specifically for this next time. I can see pretty good, but my night vision, not so much.

Last edited:
Wow. I didn't know it could happen at such an young age (well, relateively speaking..). I need to get mine checked specifically for this next time. I can see pretty good, but my night vision, not so much.

The doc can tell you if you have cataract, and about how far it has progressed, but you're the final judge of when or if to get the surgery.

Every time I pressed my ophthalmologist as to when it would be time, the answer was always the same: "You'll know. When your vision is no longer acceptable to you, that's the time."

She was exactly right.

The doc can tell you if you have cataract, and about how far it has progressed, but you're the final judge of when or if to get the surgery.

Every time I pressed my ophthalmologist as to when it would be time, the answer was always the same: "You'll know. When your vision is no longer acceptable to you, that's the time."

She was exactly right.

I guess I am still OK then :)

Mine also started at a young age, late 50s. Apparently there are a number of different types of cataracts. The one I had (don't recall name) tends to strike at a 'young' age and is very aggressive. Within the course of less than a year, my vision decreased to the point where I couldn't drive at night unless it was in the immediate 25mph neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom