Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I remember a big eye drop schedule when I had LASIK. I was glad when it was all done and am very happy with my repaired eyes. Congratulations on your progress and I can hardly wait for Thursday when you will have 2 new eyes!
Thank you! I am hoping results from the second surgery are as good as they have been from this one.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:15 AM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's interesting, and gratifying, that all the cataract surgery stories on ER.org seem to be highly positive.

On citydata.com, one can find all sorts of cataract surgery horror stories.

Since I don't think people self-select by eye health to join ER.org, I have to wonder if the "difference" lies in the ability, or inability, to comply with Doctor's orders.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:29 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It's interesting, and gratifying, that all the cataract surgery stories on ER.org seem to be highly positive.

On citydata.com, one can find all sorts of cataract surgery horror stories.

Since I don't think people self-select by eye health to join ER.org, I have to wonder if the "difference" lies in the ability, or inability, to comply with Doctor's orders.
Quite possible, but I would guess an even bigger factor may be a tendency to look for a more experienced surgeon.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Quite possible, but I would guess an even bigger factor may be a tendency to look for a more experienced surgeon.
I remember that my cataract surgery was suggested by a young doc fresh from residency. When I found out how many (few) procedures she had done, I freaked out. I felt bad about hindering her further development but selfishly wanted more experience. Fortunately DW worked at the local medical school so we got a good recommendation . I still like to use the "Goldilocks" screening technique........not too young as to have minimal experience; not too old as to (possibly) have physical issues along w/ the vast experience. Fortunately, the biographies on the medical group website make this relatively easy. Not foolproof but comforting for me.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have read a lot of horror stories about cataract surgeries online, too. I do not know the reasons behind them. My surgeon has a top notch reputation locally, has an excellent education and qualifications. He has a good general knowledge of ophthalmology as well as extensive experience in cataract surgery.

Not going to trust these baby blues to anyone but the best.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #186
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am sure it will get easier as I go along. My point was just that I am not as prone to exaggeration as some may have assumed, and that one might want to be prepared to tackle the drop schedule with enthusiasm and a little thought. Just in case.
Your eyedrop schedule may seem like a lot because you are doing pre and post care for both eyes at the same time. It looks pretty standard to me. One thing that stood out when I was doing what you did - researching what could go wrong - was the overwhelming dominance of infection and inadequate pre/post self-care. In other words, patients not caring properly for themselves seemed to cause so many of the issues with this surgery.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I completely agree! But at age 67, with only one eye done, I have the best vision of my entire life. So, if this terrific surgeon wants me to follow this crazy eyedrop schedule, I'm going to do my best to do what he feels is best.

I am sure it will get easier as I go along. My point was just that I am not as prone to exaggeration as some may have assumed, and that one might want to be prepared to tackle the drop schedule with enthusiasm and a little thought. Just in case.

I cannot wait until this weekend, when the other eye will be done. My vision wasn't this good even as a kid or teenager.
I totally and completely agree with you. I would do it willingly too if I could get the vision you did.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

DW, DS and DB have all had cataract surgery. DB never wore glasses, other than readers, still doesn't. DS no longer needs them, she got fancy lenses. DW still wears them although she is now 20/25 and 20/30, I think she likes them.

If and when my turn comes, I'll be right there waiting.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Well, my second cataract surgery is in just a little over 10 hours. (Yeah, they scheduled me for the crack of dawn, this time, ugh).

I'm not terrified like I was last time, but it is hard for me to take eye surgery lightly. I will be relieved when it is done and I know what the outcome is.

I'll let you all know how it goes. At least I know this surgeon is either as good as his reputation, or else he was amazingly lucky with my first cataract surgery.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #190
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At least I know this surgeon is either as good as his reputation, or else he was amazingly lucky with my first cataract surgery.
As long as his amazing luck holds, do you really care?

Good luck - to both of you!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #191

Best of luck, W2R! Hoping for another successful outcome.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:23 AM   #192

I hope all goes well for you. I've had two eye surgeries, one for cataract and one for something more major (retinal pucker). Scared to death the first time; piece of cake the second. Loved the "twilight" drugs given for both!!

Your eyes will be fine. But what I really want to know is--how is your toe? My stress fracture is now on its second month of healing--very, very, very slow and frustrating.I think I'd rather have eye surgery. . .
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #193
gone traveling

Good luck, although I suspect your in good hands and won't need it.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks all! I'm home from surgery now. Everything went really well, and the surgeon even mentioned that it looked really good. It is such a relief to be DONE with it. I can see pretty well out of that eye but of course everything is blurry and will be until my eye is no longer dilated. I am probably still feeling the effects of the sedative they gave me (Versed), so I am planted in my comfy easy chair and plan to just relax and recuperate right now. I did start some coffee which will be quite wonderful to enjoy.

I have great hopes for this surgery too. It seemed to go a lot easier and faster than the last one. And already, that eye is able to contribute some assistance to my other eye so that is great

Marita40, my toe is about 97% healed and doesn't hurt any more as long as I don't hit it on anything. Wearing shoes is easy now and best of all, it doesn't hurt when I walk short distances now. I broke it on August 20th. I think the enforced rest after my eye surgery helped my toes, too (the broken one and the one that probably wasn't broken after all).

Actually in my case, I think the toe and the cataracts were connected in that being able to see will me to stop tripping over furniture and injuring myself.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #195
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually in my case, I think the toe and the cataracts were connected...
Old news:

Congrats on everything going well!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #196

YAY, W2R! Glad to hear all went well. Hoping for a speedy recovery and great vision.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #197
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Old news:

Congrats on everything going well!
Love that song! Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
YAY, W2R! Glad to hear all went well. Hoping for a speedy recovery and great vision.

omni
Thank you! In celebration of getting through all this, I changed my avatar to a 1961 photo of my left eye. I can see out of it better now, than I ever could back in 1961. With any luck, by tomorrow morning the dilation medicine will have worn off and the same will be true for my right eye.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #198
Administrator

Hope you have a speedy recovery and the best vision ever.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #199

Yes! Now take it easy and finish off those eye drop directions. Two new eyes!!!
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations, W2R. It sounds like your 2nd surgery went well. Yep, two new eyes
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote