Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The driver's license place was jammed, with not even one parking place, so we put off getting my new "no glasses needed" driver's license until Monday.

When I got a new DL earlier this year, the clerk asked if there were any other changes beyond my address, and I replied that I no longer needed the corrective lens endorsement. She said I would have to bring in a letter from a doctor to confirm that. I asked if I could just do the vision screening there in the DMV, but she said that wouldn't cut it. The restriction has to stay on the DL until I bring in a doctor's letter.

It really didn't matter to me, so I didn't bother pursuing it. I can't imagine a cop ever asking where my glasses are in a traffic stop because so many people wear contacts. If that ever happens, I'll just explain that my corrective lenses are now internal and not visible.

Your state probably has different rules, but I suggest checking before you make the trip, to avoid any frustration.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It really didn't matter to me, so I didn't bother pursuing it. I can't imagine a cop ever asking where my glasses are in a traffic stop because so many people wear contacts. If that ever happens, I'll just explain that my corrective lenses are now internal and not visible.
That probably won't work. When I was a patrol officer I always checked. Contact lenses can be seen if one looks closely, and it's even easier at night by shining a flashlight across (not into) the eyeball.

If I didn't see a contact lens the person got a ticket, and they had the option of calling someone to drive the car home or it got towed. They were not going to drive away. Can you imagine the liability to me and the department if I let them go and they later crashed into someone? I think the phase "dereliction of duty" would come into play....

Carrying a recently dated letter from the doctor might work but eventually the question will arise "Why haven't you had it changed at DMV?"
Old 10-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #223

Surprising, but sensible. Thanks for the tip.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #224
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, pretty confusing! Maybe the motor vehicles department would accept my lens implant identification card instead of a doctor's letter. If not, I'll ask my surgeon at the next check-up to give me a letter like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #225

Quote:
If not, I'll ask my surgeon at the next check-up to give me a letter like that.
It's probably best to get the letter from the doc, I'm sure he gets that request a lot, probably even has a Word document and just needs to fill in your name and such. Surprising they wouldn't just let you take the eye test though.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #226
Recycles dryer sheets

In Georgia, all it takes to eliminate the vision restriction on a Driver's License is to go there and re-take the vision test. Documents from a doctor are not needed.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #227
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
In Georgia, all it takes to eliminate the vision restriction on a Driver's License is to go there and re-take the vision test. Documents from a doctor are not needed.
I'll try that on Monday and see if it works. That would be the easiest thing to try first.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #228
Moderator Emeritus

I have my new driver's license, with no vision restriction! All that was required was for me to pass the vision test. That was pretty easy for me to do with my "new eyes".

Still dutifully following my eyedrop schedule and marveling at everything I can see now.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #229
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I have my new driver's license, with no vision restriction! All that was required was for me to pass the vision test. That was pretty easy for me to do with my "new eyes".
YAY!!!! You must be thrilled!

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #230

Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #231
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

Still dutifully following my eyedrop schedule and marveling at everything I can see now.
Congrats! It's so liberating isn't it.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #232
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
YAY!!!! You must be thrilled!
I am! In about a half hour I'm going to get behind the wheel for the first time since my surgeries, and drive to Weight Watchers.

Tadpole, I love the video! "I Can See Clearly Now", for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Congrats! It's so liberating isn't it.
Yes, it's a huge relief. F was very kind to chauffeur me around when I couldn't drive, but I so much prefer being able to get places independently.

Also, it's a big relief to know that I won't need glasses to drive. I know I won't need them for anything else (except readers for close up), so other than that I will truly be free of glasses now.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #233
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations WR2.
Life without glasses, wow! I'm scheduled on November 9th for my right eye, can't wait. Thanks for sharing your experience.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Congratulations WR2.
Life without glasses, wow! I'm scheduled on November 9th for my right eye, can't wait. Thanks for sharing your experience.
That's so exciting! I'll be hoping that your outcome is as good as mine has been. Just remember that it takes a few days after each surgery for vision to clear up. Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

Yes, it's amazing to live without glasses. At bedtime, I automatically reach up to take my glasses off and nothing is there to remove! And then in the morning, I can see right away too. Pretty cool. No more smudges on my glasses, either.

I am off - - time to drive to Weight Watchers, which will be my first time to drive since the surgeries.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #235
Moderator Emeritus

Just wanted to post a follow-up. I had a post-op checkup by my opthalmologist this afternoon, and he says everything looks great. My vision is 20/25 in each eye separately, but 20/20 when using both of them together.

I had some trouble with double vision for a few weeks, but it went away. I told him about that and he said it was hard to say what caused that, but that probably we could write it off as just part of the healing process. He wants to see me one more time, in 4 months, but that's it.

Total cost of the procedure, with Medicare and federal BCBS Standard, was $142 for eye drops.
Pre-op terror was infinite, as was post-op relief and glee at being able to see so well.
Operative and post op pain was zero.
Vision is the best of my entire life.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #236
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations W2R.

Thanks for posting your experiences. I'm scheduled to have my left eye done next week, and reading about your experience made it a little less terrifying. I'll be glad when its over with.

Bob
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #237
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobW View Post
Congratulations W2R.

Thanks for posting your experiences. I'm scheduled to have my left eye done next week, and reading about your experience made it a little less terrifying. I'll be glad when its over with.

Bob
Bob, I hope your experience and results are as good as mine! Let us know how things go, and good luck to you.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #238

W2R, Glad to hear your double vision went away. That had to be a little scary after the surgery was such a success.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #239
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations WR2. It always feels good to have the doc sign off.

If all goes well this Monday will be my second surgery. I'm sure ready to be closer to done. Even with just one eye done I don't know if I've ever seen this well.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #240

for educational purposes only (not to alarm), there is such a thing as double vision but it can be corrected w/ corrective lenses with "prism". A long time after my cataract surgeries so I cannot be sure if it was related to them or not, I was diagnosed with a mild case of this. The brain doesn't see the images from the 2 eyes as one so the lenses are designed to move the images closer together....typically for me this means the top of one lens is thicker than the bottom for one eye and the opposite for the other eye. The implanted lenses for me were optimized for near vision so I need to wear glasses for distant vision anyway.

The tipping point is when you are driving and you aren't sure which image of the road you should be following. That's a bit scary. Without the glasses, sometimes I have to mentally divide by 2 because I know there is only one moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prism_correction
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote