Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Congratulations WR2. It always feels good to have the doc sign off.

If all goes well this Monday will be my second surgery. I'm sure ready to be closer to done. Even with just one eye done I don't know if I've ever seen this well.
Believe me, I understand! I am happy to read that you are seeing so much better after surgery on the first eye. Let us know how the second surgery goes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #242
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
W2R, Glad to hear your double vision went away. That had to be a little scary after the surgery was such a success.
Thanks! It was, but I guess it was nothing to worry about.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
for educational purposes only (not to alarm), there is such a thing as double vision but it can be corrected w/ corrective lenses with "prism". A long time after my cataract surgeries so I cannot be sure if it was related to them or not, I was diagnosed with a mild case of this. The brain doesn't see the images from the 2 eyes as one so the lenses are designed to move the images closer together....typically for me this means the top of one lens is thicker than the bottom for one eye and the opposite for the other eye. The implanted lenses for me were optimized for near vision so I need to wear glasses for distant vision anyway.

The tipping point is when you are driving and you aren't sure which image of the road you should be following. That's a bit scary. Without the glasses, sometimes I have to mentally divide by 2 because I know there is only one moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prism_correction
Thanks, kaneohe. I'll definitely keep that in mind and seek out prism glasses if it returns and is bothersome. My brain right now seems to be letting the images converge so I hope that continues. The double vision wasn't too bad when I had it, but at the time I worried that it might get worse.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #244
Recycles dryer sheets

A friend of mine is an ophthalmologist and he once told me that they used to keep a patient in the hospital for days, block their head with pillows and make them lay still. Now, people come to the hospital or surgery center, get their cataract fixed and go to the mall for lunch and shopping right afterward. Amazing!
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #245
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2go View Post
A friend of mine is an ophthalmologist and he once told me that they used to keep a patient in the hospital for days, block their head with pillows and make them lay still. Now, people come to the hospital or surgery center, get their cataract fixed and go to the mall for lunch and shopping right afterward. Amazing!
So true! Cataract surgery today is nearly miraculous compared with what it was like years ago. Although, I must admit that my surgeon's instructions were to rest for the remainder of the day after surgery.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:31 AM   #246
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thank you very much for sharing your journey with us. I will come back here when it's time for my surgery (not yet needed) to calm myself down. Very happy to hear your double vision went away and you now have a 20/20 vision.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 AM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I've heard something similar from my former SO's mom - Her mom (or was it her grandmother) had to have sand bags placed to block her head movement and lie in the dark for a week.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #248
Dryer sheet aficionado

Finally had my 2nd eye done last week. Had a three month interval between the right eye, and now the left. Surfing the VA's voucher system, and then the Veteran's choice program was no fun. Got it done though and I am thrilled with the results. The IOL technology is great and bound to get better. Right now I am thrilled to be glasses free after 47 years!
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #249
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This was a great thread. I am up for my first eye (right) on March 2. These posts have helped calm me down a bit - the idea of having someone working on my eyes has a big creep factor. Mine is going to be blade-less and the lens will be toric to correct for astigmatism. She can't tell if it will correct 100% until she plucks the old lens out.

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

DW is also having one eye done 3/2.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
This was a great thread. I am up for my first eye (right) on March 2. These posts have helped calm me down a bit - the idea of having someone working on my eyes has a big creep factor. Mine is going to be blade-less and the lens will be toric to correct for astigmatism. She can't tell if it will correct 100% until she plucks the old lens out.

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread.
Definitely a big creep factor! I have to admit that I was terrified and put it off until I just had no choice. If I had had the surgery earlier, I might have avoided some pretty awful falls, broken toes, and so on, mostly due to poor vision.

For me the most wonderful, exhilarating feeling was after the surgery on the first eye, and realizing that I could SEE. Not only that, but I could see better than before the surgery. Pretty amazing. After that experience, the second eye wasn't scary at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
DW is also having one eye done 3/2.
Congratulation to her and to jebmke for taking this momentous step! I'll be hoping that both have good outcomes like I did.

I still seem to have double vision sometimes but only when my eyes are very tired late at night. I plan to mention it again to my opthalmologist on my last post-op checkup, which is in April I think. I suspect he is going to say it is due to dry eyes. So, I should probably get some saline eyedrops and try them first. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I still seem to have double vision sometimes but only when my eyes are very tired late at night. I plan to mention it again to my opthalmologist on my last post-op checkup, which is in April I think. I suspect he is going to say it is due to dry eyes. So, I should probably get some saline eyedrops and try them first. Just haven't gotten around to it.
Cataract surgery two years ago. I haven't had any problems like double vision, but I occasionally get a bit of fogginess in one eye, especially in the afternoon/evening. Visit to the ophthalmologist a couple of weeks ago confirmed that it's just dry eyes, and she gave me several samples of eyedrops to take care of it.

The eyedrops work well, so I suspect you could benefit from them as well.

One word of warning: Eyedrops can be either liquid or gel. The gel type is much more soothing and feels pretty good, but can give you blurry vision for an hour or two. The doc confirmed that it's probably best, if you want to use the gel type, to save it for just before you go to bed.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #253
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Cataract surgery two years ago. I haven't had any problems like double vision, but I occasionally get a bit of fogginess in one eye, especially in the afternoon/evening. Visit to the ophthalmologist a couple of weeks ago confirmed that it's just dry eyes, and she gave me several samples of eyedrops to take care of it.

The eyedrops work well, so I suspect you could benefit from them as well.

One word of warning: Eyedrops can be either liquid or gel. The gel type is much more soothing and feels pretty good, but can give you blurry vision for an hour or two. The doc confirmed that it's probably best, if you want to use the gel type, to save it for just before you go to bed.
Thanks - - I'll keep that in mind, for sure. I need clear vision more than I need soothing sensations so after reading what you had to say, I think I'll avoid the gel completely.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #254
gone traveling

All these cataract surgeries are becoming like the ER Class threads, I will be in the class of 2016.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Congratulation to her and to jebmke for taking this momentous step! I'll be hoping that both have good outcomes like I did.
thanks - her vision has deteriorated so badly that she can hardly see now - she has to get right up to the TV to see it and driving, well.....

dr said she would correct to 20/40 without glasses with the regular lens, which is covered by insurance!
Old 02-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #256
Give me a forum ...

My late father had cataract surgery in 1983, and he and my Mother described the ordeal often, and in detail. He had to lie face down for 3 days, except he was allowed to get up to use the bathroom, and even then had to keep his head down. Although the lenses gave him great distance vision, he eventually had to get trifocals in order to read the newspaper, watch TV etc. I guess most people still need reading glasses with the new cataract lenses.

Just having to lie flat for 3 days is now known to have bad health effects, so things have improved greatly from a health perspective, not merely the vision technology itself and the avoidance of trouble and wasted time!

Amethyst

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #257
Give me a forum ...

DW had surgery yesterday on her right eye. Went to follow-up today and her vision corrected to 20/25 without glasses. I almost started crying in the reception area.

Her left eye will get done 3/15.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #258
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
DW had surgery yesterday on her right eye. Went to follow-up today and her vision corrected to 20/25 without glasses. I almost started crying in the reception area.

Her left eye will get done 3/15.
WONDERFUL news!! I am so happy she had good results, and so fast! It's possible that her vision might even improve a little more in the next day or two.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #259
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

(Ditto W2R.)

She must be really pleased with this outcome!
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

thanks everyone - 50 years ago I guess she just would have gone blind?

it's nice being in this day and age