Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #261
Moderator Emeritus

So happy for your DW, B_H. The lenses were developed after WWII when a military doc realized the eye tolerated plastic shrapnel from the cockpit windows (or something like that, per Wikipedia). My surgery was a year ago and every day I am still amazed that this wonderful result was possible.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
thanks everyone - 50 years ago I guess she just would have gone blind?
No, but intraocular lens implants were new, unproven and not widely available, so she would have probably ended up wearing thick "Coke bottle" hyperopic glasses.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #263
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No, but intraocular lens implants were new, unproven and not widely available, so she would have probably ended up wearing thick "Coke bottle" hyperopic glasses.
Yes. My grandfather wore those.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So happy for your DW, B_H. The lenses were developed after WWII when a military doc realized the eye tolerated plastic shrapnel from the cockpit windows (or something like that, per Wikipedia).
Yep.

I found this short story of how this all came about:

The Fascinating History Behind the Intraocular Lens | Fort Lauderdale Eye Institute
Old 03-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes. My grandfather wore those.
As did my mom.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #266

If you've had cataract surgery in the last ten years, there's a good chance that at least one of the instruments used was invented by a friend of mine. He has a list of patents for them as long as my arm. Fascinating stuff, working at such a micro miniature level.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #267
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
As did my mom.
My grandfather and my aunt as well.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #268
gone traveling

Quote:
DW had surgery yesterday on her right eye. Went to follow-up today and her vision corrected to 20/25 without glasses. I almost started crying in the reception area.

Her left eye will get done 3/15.
What a terrific outcome, truly life changing. Congrats to you both.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #269
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got back yesterday from Annapolis. We stayed over Wed. night since I had a followup at 8am. Initial test shows 20:25 in my new right eye with the toric lens. Doc says it should improve in the coming weeks. She she thinks she may have been able to fully correct for the astigmatism which was "off the chart". What is amazing is the color difference! I had no idea that the world turned yellow on me. Incredible.

I was wound like a watch spring waiting to be wheeled into the laser room. Thank goodness for Versed.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Just got back yesterday from Annapolis. We stayed over Wed. night since I had a followup at 8am. Initial test shows 20:25 in my new right eye with the toric lens. Doc says it should improve in the coming weeks. She she thinks she may have been able to fully correct for the astigmatism which was "off the chart". What is amazing is the color difference! I had no idea that the world turned yellow on me. Incredible.

I was wound like a watch spring waiting to be wheeled into the laser room. Thank goodness for Versed.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Congratulations, glad it went well. You made me laugh. My mom freaked out about the yellow. She'd been scrubbing her white kitchen walls for months trying to get the yellow off.:sly:
Old 03-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #272
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If you've had cataract surgery in the last ten years, there's a good chance that at least one of the instruments used was invented by a friend of mine. He has a list of patents for them as long as my arm. Fascinating stuff, working at such a micro miniature level.
A big thank you to your friend
Old 03-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #273
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Congratulations on the great vision! Pretty wonderful, I think.

Versed was wonderful for me, too. It really calmed me down and made the surgery so easy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #274
gone traveling

Quote:

Glad to hear about the success. I also heard eye sight can take several weeks before it improves, probably more so with toric and other premium IOLs. I've never noticed any color degradation myself, but all these comments about more vibrant colors have me excited anticipating what my 4K TV will be like once its delivered.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #275

So happy that everyone's surgeries are going so great and eyesight is so improved! I will have to reread this thread, if I ever have to have it.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Versed was wonderful for me, too. It really calmed me down and made the surgery so easy.
Yeah, I'm thinking it would be great to have a supply of this stuff to get through the election.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #277

One-week follow up with optho yesterday. My right eye now tests 20/20. All systems go for left eye one week from today.

One new bit of info which I inferred from my experience and confirmed with the optho. Since they used a toric lens to fix the astigmatism, it is a single focus lens that is "set for distance". I knew that I would need reading glasses. But I have also noticed that "intermediate distances" like computer screen and even a bit farther out, are not crisp -- much better than old eye but still not as good as the correction I get with my progressive lenses in my glasses (when they were new). The optho confirmed that the toric lens cannot be multi-focal and that I would definitely need glasses to read (this I knew) and possibly a mid-range lens for computer work -- this may end up being a bifocal reader. I was relieve to learn that this is normal and not something that wasn't working with the new implant.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One-week follow up with optho yesterday. My right eye now tests 20/20. All systems go for left eye one week from today.
right on - DW actually SAW a few of my golf shots yesterday and found a few balls in the rough (not mine) - getting left eye done Tuesday
Old 03-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
right on - DW actually SAW a few of my golf shots yesterday and found a few balls in the rough (not mine) - getting left eye done Tuesday
After my surgeries I found a house about a quarter mile away! We've been here ten years too.☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #280
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Woo-hoo!!! What a TERRIFIC outcome. Congratulations and I'm hoping results are just as good for your left eye after it is done too.
Quote:
Great!! It is wonderful to be able to SEE. Congratulations to your DW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
After my surgeries I found a house about a quarter mile away! We've been here ten years too.☺
Believe me, I can relate! After my surgeries F took me for drives around town, just so I could see it with my "new eyes". I saw signs and other things I did not even know were there.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote