Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The day after my surgery I was shaving and I thought to myself "things look real crisp but they seem smaller/farther away." Then I thought "you dumb-ass, when you couldn't see, you stuck your face right up to the mirror -- they are farther away now."
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #282
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
The day after my surgery I was shaving and I thought to myself "things look real crisp but they seem smaller/farther away." Then I thought "you dumb-ass, when you couldn't see, you stuck your face right up to the mirror -- they are farther away now."

It's been six months since my cataract surgeries. It is still surprising and amazing to me when I awaken each morning and the instant I open my eyes, I can SEE every detail on the ceiling over my bed, and then look around and can SEE every tiny detail of my bedroom, all with no glasses on. Simply incredible and what a great way to begin the day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #283

Just a little tidbit I though might amuse you.

I recently learned that one of my neighbors had cataract surgery last month. I didn't talk to him just beforehand, but he says he wasn't nervous at all; he has great faith in modern medicine.

He's 93 years old and was still running his family business until about a year ago.

Although some people are obviously put on Earth just to serve as bad examples, there are others who are clearly here to serve as inspirations to the rest of us.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just a little tidbit I though might amuse you.

I recently learned that one of my neighbors had cataract surgery last month. I didn't talk to him just beforehand, but he says he wasn't nervous at all; he has great faith in modern medicine.

He's 93 years old and was still running his family business until about a year ago.

Although some people are obviously put on Earth just to serve as bad examples, there are others who are clearly here to serve as inspirations to the rest of us.
I suspect that if you get to mid-90s in generally good health, your attitude in general is pretty pragmatic. When I lived in Milwaukee, there was a daughter/mother duo living next door. The mother was ~94 and would walk into the shopping street every day -- about a mile there and a mile back. I ran into her one day and and commented on how I noticed her out walking every day. Her reply: "When you are walking, you aren't dead."

Just got back from my left eye surgery. Second eye tested 20/20 in the morning following surgery . Should know in April what I need for readers/middle distance.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this great thread. It was truly helpful -- as was the Versed!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #285
Moderator Emeritus

Great, jebmke! Glad your eye surgery went well this morning. Nothing like 20/20 vision, for sure. I got my readers between my first eye being done and my second eye. What I did was to try on the ones at Walgreens ($20+ each!! ), and then, knowing the magnification I needed, I ordered some from Amazon at 3 for $10 which was 1/6th the price. After the second eye was done, I went back to Walgreens and verified that the magnification I chose was still OK.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #286
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW had the other eye done Tuesday. Now she can really see!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #287
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Congratulations to her! I'll bet she is thrilled.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #288

Quote:
Wow that's great. I'll bet the second eye made a real difference after a couple weeks of one good/one bad eye.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #289
Administrator

Quote:
So, now she can see what you really look like?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #290
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, now she can see what you really look like?
tell me about it...

the worst part is now she's cruising around town spending $$$$ on antiques we don't need
Old 03-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #291
Administrator

Quote:
tell me about it...

the worst part is now she's cruising around town spending $$$$ on antiques we don't need
You don't need. She clearly does.

Good to know her cataracts were successfully cleared.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #292
Give me a forum ...

yes I've been playing "dr" with the eyedrops.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #293

Congrats to everyone with their successful surgeries. I will go back and reread this thread when it is my time.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote