Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I had cataract surgery last year in both eyes, one in July, the other in September. What a HUGE difference!! First of all, both procedures went well. I left the hospital with a clear plastic patch over my eye. Even with that, I could tell that my vision was much better. As others have noted, colors are noticeably better. After a few days, my vision improved as the swelling subsided.

I had both eyes corrected for distance only. I now test 20/15 in both eyes and couldn't be happier after years of being nearsighted and needing contacts/ glasses.

I use drugstore readers for reading. I also got a pair of lineless bifocals (top is plain, no correction), for situations like shopping where I need to frequently shift between reading and distance. My medical insurance covered most of the cost of the glasses because they were post-cataract surgery. Medicare covers this also.

I was very nervous about the surgery, but I am soooo glad I had it done.

W2R, good luck with the procedure.
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I found an entire thread about lens choices for cataract surgery that I think you might find interesting, even though it is from 2010:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ons-50661.html

I wonder if there will be any correction for my (considerable) astigmatism, which is worse than my near-sighted ness. But from reading that thread it sounds like they can correct that too somehow.
The lens for astigmatism is considered a "premium lens" , more expensive than a standard lens, and the additional expense is not typically covered by insurance. Mine was about $1400, so if you're set up for astigmatism correction they probably told you to expect to pay an amount like that.
In my case, correcting the astigmatism was worth more than what it cost.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I had cataract surgery ten years ago and have 20-20 vision ever since . I opted for the mono vision lenses . One eye is for close and one eye is for distance so no need for readers . Make sure and ask the surgeon about your limitations since you weight lift and that will probably be a no-no for awhile . Surgery is painless and very easy . I was driving in two days .
Thanks! That is very encouraging.

The information sheet that the surgeon gave me in the surgery packet, said no more than 25 pounds for 1 week following each surgery. So, you're right, weight lifting is out. Since my surgeries are scheduled a week apart, one week really means two weeks. I might make it three just to be extra careful.

It also says no yard work or aerobic activity for one week. All activities are permitted two weeks after surgery (so, three weeks after my first surgery).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes_to_Lurk View Post
I had cataract surgery last year in both eyes, one in July, the other in September. What a HUGE difference!! First of all, both procedures went well. I left the hospital with a clear plastic patch over my eye. Even with that, I could tell that my vision was much better. As others have noted, colors are noticeably better. After a few days, my vision improved as the swelling subsided.

I had both eyes corrected for distance only. I now test 20/15 in both eyes and couldn't be happier after years of being nearsighted and needing contacts/ glasses.

I use drugstore readers for reading. I also got a pair of lineless bifocals (top is plain, no correction), for situations like shopping where I need to frequently shift between reading and distance. My medical insurance covered most of the cost of the glasses because they were post-cataract surgery. Medicare covers this also.

I was very nervous about the surgery, but I am soooo glad I had it done.

W2R, good luck with the procedure.
Thank you! Wow, your experience sounds like a dream come true. 20/15? That must be heaven. At least it would be for me.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokane2303 View Post
Mom did say it was a very uncomfortable procedure and we plan on discussing this with her MD and anesthesiologist prior to her next eye being corrected. We're sure part of the discomfort was related to the cataract density and small tear that happened during the surgery.

I had both eyes done about 7 years ago. The only real discomfort I had came from the second anesthesiologist--night and day from the first. First time, anesthesiologist used a slow advancing technique to introduce the drug while the second seemed to just jammed the needle and injected.
Suggest exploring the possibility of using a different anesthesiologist.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
The lens for astigmatism is considered a "premium lens" , more expensive than a standard lens, and the additional expense is not typically covered by insurance. Mine was about $1400, so if you're set up for astigmatism correction they probably told you to expect to pay an amount like that.
In my case, correcting the astigmatism was worth more than what it cost.
Thank you!

Aargh. The surgical coordinator that went over the lens choices with me, said that with my kind of eyes there were only two kind, multifocal and not, but that I could get "monovision" with the latter if one was near and one far. I cannot bear multifocals so I told her that, and I would rather use readers than have the monovision.

But anyway, I wonder because my astigmatism wasn't even mentioned, nor were the premium lenses discussed. Sounds like I might be back to trifocals, oh yuck!

Old 09-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #47

My doc talked about the one near/one far option, but said he only recommended it to patients who already had good experience with the same kind of contact lenses. He went so far as to say that he himself had tried the near/far contact lens routine for several months but had to give it up. That was good enough for me to decide against it.

Here's an interesting discussion about astigmatism and cataract surgery:

Can you explain the surgery for cataract with astigmatism?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had been diagnosed with astigmatism years and years ago. After several pre-surgery exams the Dr. (not the optometrist), determined that I had a very little astigmatism, not enough to worry about.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #49

W2R - just wanted to wish you luck on the surgery. I have nothing to add to the conversation since I haven't had it done.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Here's an interesting discussion about astigmatism and cataract surgery:

Can you explain the surgery for cataract with astigmatism?
Interesting article! Thanks

Old 09-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #51
Administrator

W2R, all the very best for the upcoming surgery. We know lots of folks with great results from the surgery but neither of us is ready for it yet, although we have both been told this year at our eye exams that cataracts have started to form.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thank you! Wow, your experience sounds like a dream come true. 20/15? That must be heaven. At least it would be for me.
Yup. Both eyes. It really is awesome, especially after being nearsighted since age 16. Even my eye doctor is impressed!

I still marvel at how good my vision is.
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #53
Administrator

Last year we visited a friend in Australia and ever since we have known her she has always needed really thick glasses (back in England we were neighbors between 1979 and 1985). The last time we visited her in Australia in 1997 even the glasses couldn't cope with fine print so she had a magnifying glass for that.

She met us off the plane in Brisbane, an internal flight from MacKay, but we didn't know that non-ticketed folks can meet people right at the gate so as we walked off we didn't see her and would have walked past her had she not spoke up. (Broad Geordie Newcastle accent still at age 72). She was not wearing glasses and now had 20/20 vision. We were amazed and then flabbergasted when she said that the only surgery she had was the standard lens replacement, for cataracts, a few years earlier.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
It's amazing what they can do now regarding eye surgery!

1998: Told I had the beginnings of cataracts in both eyes (age 48)
2001: Spontaneous retinal detachment in right eye, lost 80% of vision. Had retinal surgery two days later with "full buckle".....ie, they drained and inflated eyeball, used laser to tack weld retina back in place. Told that the laser will usually result in a worsening of cataract.
2002: Had cataract surgery in right eye. OMG, what a difference in the way world looked, could see great within two days! And could see 20/40 w/o glasses
2003: Had cataract surgery in left eye. 20/20 after surgery. Unfortunately, six months later I had a retinal tear in this eye. Doc decided, since I seemed to have a predisposition for retinal problems, to do a full buckle on this eye also. But vision in this eye dropped to 20/40 and it is not correctable. Considering that I started with like 20/300 vision.......all to good.

So had my eyes "re-built" when in early 50's age.
I had the buckle when I was 26 (hockey injury) then laser and cryogenic coagulation in the other eye. It has since been spot-welded with the laser. Then all the cataracts due to prior procedures.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #55
gone traveling

Just curious- for those nearsighted people out there... What was your contact lens or eye glasses prescription before you had your surgery?
Mine is -8.50 and -7.50 and I am eagerly awaiting the time when I can qualify for the implantable contact lens and have insurance cover it...

a condition of apparent weightlessness such as that experienced in orbit or in free fall or my aunts inverse table! Causes blood flow to the brain that might result in amazing thoughts!
zerogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I was 20/200 in my :good: eye and 20/450 in the eye that had the detached retina.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:07 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I have nothing to add, except to wish you the best of luck, W2R.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, everyone, for the good wishes and posts.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogravity View Post
Just curious- for those nearsighted people out there... What was your contact lens or eye glasses prescription before you had your surgery?
Mine is -8.50 and -7.50 and I am eagerly awaiting the time when I can qualify for the implantable contact lens and have insurance cover it...
Mine were in negative double digits by the time I had surgery. Although the purpose of surgery isn't intended to treat myopia, we Magoos are super thrilled with that aspect of it!
Old 10-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
W2R - just wanted to wish you luck on the surgery. I have nothing to add to the conversation since I haven't had it done.
That's exactly what I was going to say, so I just quoted rodi!