Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #81
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
My mom had spider webs all over, mostly outside, before her cataract surgery. She couldn't see them! After her surgery things are back to spotless. All the eyedrops was her only complaint.
Oh fooey! It sounds like I'm going to have to clean my house again after the surgery. Right now I can't really see any dust or dirt.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Even if they could do the implant a second time, I doubt that would qualify as medically necessary.......the cataract is different than a slight change in vision.
I am a bit confused with your response. I would say re-implant is not medically necessary just like the first implant is not medically necessary either (I imainge you can just wear glasses if needed.)

What I am trying to say is, some people get lenses with specific scripts implanted at the same time they get the cataract surgeries based on their current vision limitations and requirements. If the lenses do not work any more because your visions change, say, after a few years, is it possible to have the implants replaced with new lenses/new prescriptions, or you can only get the implants once (maybe there is huge risk in removing implants, like they get imbedded too deep after a while and add the new ones on or whatever) and you have to live with the same prescription the rest of your life (and maybe add a pair of glasses to compensate if necessary)? It's not as easy or simple as putting contacts on your eyes each morning, you know; hence the question.
__________________

__________________
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh fooey! It sounds like I'm going to have to clean my house again after the surgery. Right now I can't really see any dust or dirt.
I have an aunt who was so shocked and embarrassed to see all the dust in her house after the cataract surgery, so if you are a neat person to start with, you might feel the same way
__________________
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I am 56 and so far, my eye doctor said I would need the surgery eventually, but not yet. Even at my age, when I get my eye exam done each year, my prescription changes a little. I always wonder what happens if your vision changes after lenses are implanted? Do they replace the lenses (it is painful for me even just to imagine implanted lenses taken out and replaced) or they figure you are pretty old already by the time you get your cataract surgeries done that they figure you won't need any new prescription lenses implanted, or maybe they can only do the implant once, and that you are stuck with the initial prescription for the rest of your life?
After my cataract surgery last year, my eye doctor told me that my vision will be stable. It is possible to have Lasik to "touch up" your vision if the implants don't correct your vision adequately. You can also wear glasses or contacts in that situation.

When I was researching cataract surgery, I got the impression that while it is possible to remove an implant and replace it, this is only done as a last resort.
__________________
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I am a bit confused with your response. I would say re-implant is not medically necessary just like the first implant is not medically necessary either (I imainge you can just wear glasses if needed.)

.................
My impression is that you can tame initial stages of the cataract by changes in the prescription but after some point that becomes not so feasible because the obstruction/scattering caused by the cataract is too large. At that point I would say it is medically necessary to have the implant but perhaps not in the initial stages. Not a doc, just a patient.
__________________
kaneohe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #86
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
My impression is that you can tame initial stages of the cataract by changes in the prescription but after some point that becomes not so feasible because the obstruction/scattering caused by the cataract is too large. At that point I would say it is medically necessary to have the implant but perhaps not in the initial stages. Not a doc, just a patient.
I'm a little bit confused by the exchange between Kaneohe and tmm99, but here are my thoughts in the hopes they may help.

For 67 years my eyes were correctable to 20:20 with glasses and this was true as recently as 2 years ago. My optometrist told me I had early cataracts 5-10 years ago, but it would have been insane to even think about surgery at that time without any significant visual impairment (I had no desire to drive at night anyway so didn't try that). He said that when I felt it had become a big enough problem, he would refer me to a good opthalmologist.

However, due to cataracts my eyes are now barely correctable to 20:35 with my new glasses. I can't see well enough to even walk very safely. Without surgery, my optometrist says that he doubts that I could now pass a driving test (with or without glasses).

He referred me to an ophthalmologist who said yes, the cataracts are the problem, and need to go. AFAIK my surgery is medically necessary and Medicare and my insurance will cover it.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm a little bit confused by the exchange between Kaneohe and tmm99, but here are my thoughts in the hopes they may help.

For 67 years my eyes were correctable to 20:20 with glasses and this was true as recently as 2 years ago. My optometrist told me I had early cataracts 5-10 years ago, but it would have been insane to even think about surgery at that time without any significant visual impairment (I had no desire to drive at night anyway so didn't try that). He said that when I felt it had become a big enough problem, he would refer me to a good opthalmologist.

However, due to cataracts my eyes are now barely correctable to 20:35 with my new glasses. I can't see well enough to even walk very safely. Without surgery, my optometrist says that he doubts that I could now pass a driving test (with or without glasses).

He referred me to an ophthalmologist who said yes, the cataracts are the problem, and need to go. AFAIK my surgery is medically necessary and Medicare and my insurance will cover it.
Thank you for your post and others trying to explain. I am starting to understand what my confusion was - I thought cataract surgeries removed cloudy substance on top of natural lenses and some people elected to get the natural lenses replaced with synthetic lenses with scripts at the same time. I didn't realize the lenses themselves were cloudy and needed to be replaced
__________________
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #88
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Thank you for your post and others trying to explain. I am starting to understand what my confusion was - I thought cataract surgeries removed cloudy substance on top of natural lenses and some people elected to get the natural lenses replaced with synthetic lenses with scripts at the same time. I didn't realize the lenses themselves were cloudy and needed to be replaced
I am a little hazy about this, but I think that in the old days, people would have the cataracts removed and then have to deal with thick "cataract glasses" instead. I don't really know what they used to do in the old days. But now, it seems to be taken for granted that the new synthetic lenses will be inserted in the eye, replacing the natural lenses which have become opaque cataracts.

Edited to add: here's a Wikipedia article with more than any of us would ever want to know about cataract surgery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataract_surgery

At least, it was more than I really wanted to read about it.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes_to_Lurk View Post
After my cataract surgery last year, my eye doctor told me that my vision will be stable. It is possible to have Lasik to "touch up" your vision if the implants don't correct your vision adequately. You can also wear glasses or contacts in that situation.

When I was researching cataract surgery, I got the impression that while it is possible to remove an implant and replace it, this is only done as a last resort.
Thank you for your explanation. Good to know the options.
__________________
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:56 AM   #90
Moderator
bssc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,933
I had surgery on both eyes about two years ago. Well worth it, my eyes were -13 and -12.25 and now are 20:25.

Surgery was easy and painless.

The biggest issue I had was that I had a detached retina 8 months later which required additional surgery. Took a little longer but now I don't have any floaters in the eye. Make sure your eye doctors talks to you about it.

Also, you will need sunglasses because everything will seem bright. Good luck.
__________________
Angels danced on the day that you were born.
bssc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:07 AM   #91
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I had surgery on both eyes about two years ago. Well worth it, my eyes were -13 and -12.25 and now are 20:25.

Surgery was easy and painless.

The biggest issue I had was that I had a detached retina 8 months later which required additional surgery. Took a little longer but now I don't have any floaters in the eye. Make sure your eye doctors talks to you about it.

Also, you will need sunglasses because everything will seem bright. Good luck.
Thank you. I am worried about the possibility of a detached retina due to my cataract surgery, since that runs in my family. But, I am hoping for the best. I discussed it with my ophthalmologist. They will give me some thick sunglasses for free after the cataract surgery, but later I will probably get some more attractive ones.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,440
My doc told me I had cataracts 3 years ago. I haven't noticed a decline in my vision other than having to wear glasses(wearing for years). But my vision is great wearing glasses. He said it may be years before I need cataract surgery. The thing I'm having to stay on top of is the possibility of glaucoma. He said one eye shows the signs of it developing. I've got to go in and take a special eye test in a couple of months, one where you see lights blinking on different areas of a page and you have to identify the blinking. I passed the test a year ago and hopefully will again. Not really looking forward to taking eye drops daily, but that is better than losing your vision. A small price to pay.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,035
This is what those free sunglasses look like . They are pretty hideous !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31mFLgNozAL.jpg (9.2 KB, 120 views)
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tadpole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,172
Vanity at our ages? My doc had me wear the cage from the day of the operation (Thursday) to the after-op appointment (Monday). Now that thing, with the added tape, was pretty frightening at the restaurant.
__________________
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #95
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
This is what those free sunglasses look like . They are pretty hideous !
Yes! I think that is exactly the kind they will give me. They will work on the way home, but you're right, they are sure ugly.

I'm already looking at regular sunglasses online and there are so many cute ones available!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
This is what those free sunglasses look like . They are pretty hideous !
Oh, I don't know. Wear them with a fedora, and look like the local Mafia boss!
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #97
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Vanity at our ages? My doc had me wear the cage from the day of the operation (Thursday) to the after-op appointment (Monday). Now that thing, with the added tape, was pretty frightening at the restaurant.
Oh well, Hallowe'en's coming up, right? Besides, we tip well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Oh, I don't know. Wear them with a fedora, and look like the local Mafia boss!
Between the shades, and the "insect eye/colander" eye patch, this should be an interesting experience.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
DW's son at 47 will have cataract surgery the 29th. His SO has been driving him to w*rk for the past week and will continue to do so until that day.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #99
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
DW's son at 47 will have cataract surgery the 29th. His SO has been driving him to w*rk for the past week and will continue to do so until that day.
That's great!

I can still drive, but probably shouldn't. In fact, I drove just today.

Just got a call from my ophthalmologist's office, and my internist STILL hasn't faxed them the permission form that I told his office needed to be signed and faxed ASAP, a week ago. Of course, my internist is in his other office today and my records aren't in that office, so I have to wait until tomorrow to even call. This is crazy.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
I got a pair of those sunglasses for each surgery. Now I keep a pair in each of our cars' gloveboxes. One good thing about them is that they fit over regular glasses (that's why they are so spacious, I believe), so I could wear them over reading glasses to read on our deck.

Hope your docs get the referrals straightened out, W2R. Nothing is easy. My insurance company told the hospital I had no health coverage whatsoever up until the day before the surgery (of course I had health insurance, paid each month well in advance of the due date, never mind the grace period). Many many phone calls between me and Cobra, me and the insurance company, me and the hospital for two weeks. I had to remind myself of all the people who don't sweat these things. Try to be one of those people (even though I couldn't).
__________________

__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cataract surgery... lense opinions. LARS Health and Early Retirement 26 10-31-2012 05:49 PM
Can We Talk Cataract Surgery? Marita40 Health and Early Retirement 28 04-05-2012 05:34 AM
Cataract Surgery-Multi focal lens nwsteve Health and Early Retirement 15 10-07-2008 10:46 AM
Cataract eye surgery modhatter Health and Early Retirement 4 06-10-2007 08:58 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.