Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I got a pair of those sunglasses for each surgery. Now I keep a pair in each of our cars' gloveboxes. One good thing about them is that they fit over regular glasses (that's why they are so spacious, I believe), so I could wear them over reading glasses to read on our deck.
You can buy this 'fit over' type of glasses in most drug stores - they usually are more attractive than the ones you get from your eye doctor.

I haven't had cataract surgery yet, and do wear FitOvers (a brand name) or similar competitor over my regular glasses. They work nicely, and are far less expensive ($20-$50) than getting a prescription pair of sunglasses.

Rita

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes! I think that is exactly the kind they will give me. They will work on the way home, but you're right, they are sure ugly.

I'm already looking at regular sunglasses online and there are so many cute ones available!

I would get the ones that have sides - Many sunglasses have no sides and the sun still hits your eyes from the side opening.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #103
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I would get the ones that have sides - Many sunglasses have no sides and the sun still hits your eyes from the side opening.
Good idea. I saw some really cute ones in a sort of wrap-around style, that would function really well that way (as well as being one of my favorite styles for looks!).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #104
Administrator

Woo-hoo!!! First eye is done. I have been home from the surgical center only a minute or two, and I am sitting in a darkened room wearing the type of sunglasses Moemg showed in her post.

It went really well, I thought. Nothing hurt. I was so scared that I was feeling a little detached, which helped with the fear. That, and the Versed I suppose. I wasn't really aware of any effects from the Versed, other than calming me down. Also it probably helped remove the pain. But, I felt 100% there at all times. None of those lovely Michael Jackson Propofol dreams; this just wasn't that strong I guess.

The best part is I can SEE. Everything is a little blurry out of that eye, but I am hoping that will resolve after a day or two. Tomorrow I have a post op appointment with the surgeon and he can let me know. But my biggest irrational fear, blindness, did NOT happen.

I get to spend the rest of the day doing nothing. Doctor's orders; rest, no lifting anything over 25 pounds, no cardio. I'm in my favorite easy chair and pretty happy that it's done. F is bringing me lunch and then he will stay with me as long as I need him. Probably just a few hours will do but we shall see. This is not something I would want to do without someone to help out for a little while.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Woo-hoo!!! First eye is done. I have been home from the surgical center only a minute or two, and I am sitting in a darkened room wearing the type of sunglasses Moemg showed in her post.
Good news! Hopefully you are treated like a queen for a day, the follow-up care goes well, and your next eye is even easier.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #106
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Good news! Hopefully you are treated like a queen for a day, the follow-up care goes well, and your next eye is even easier.
One thing's for sure - - I don't anticipate being nearly as scared when I go into surgery next week to have the second eye done.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #107

W2R, That's great that all went well. Relax and let Frank wait on you. Keep us posted on your progress and don't forget your eye drops.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #108

Good news! I just realized how much I have enjoyed being able to travel the cataract circuit with you. Thanks. Your blur should clear up quickly. Let us know what the doc says.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great news W2R. We want you here posting a lot for a long time.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #110

Glad to hear that #1 eye went so well, W2R - I know you are relieved and happy. Now just remember to milk the dr's orders for all their worth ;-)
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #111

One down, one to go!!! Congrats on the success of the first surgery.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

W2R, glad things went well on #1. I have a friend that had cataract surgery and said the difference is night and day.

Here's a stupid question. Post surgery, did you drive yourself home (like wearing special sunglasses)? Or did you need a driver?
Old 10-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Yay! My doc said just blink a lot, the blurriness is mostly from the antibiotic ointment and also the extra strength super long lasting pupil dilation drops. So glad you're doing well so far. IMO it's a miracle.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

WR2,
Congratulations, seeing is a great thing! Happy this was so easy for you!
Old 10-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R, I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. Your vision should improve over the next few days. If you follow your doctor's orders, you should be fine. Relax and let F take care of you.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #116
Administrator

Thanks, all. It just occurred to me that (like BestWifeEver was saying), my eye is still very hugely dilated, which it needed to be for the surgery. Once it un-dilates some of the blur should improve, and also the subsidence of any possible swelling due to the surgery may help. Even with the blurriness, it really isn't a whole lot worse than it was so I pronounce the surgery a success. Not only is it a success, but it's OVER and there is a lot to be said for that.

The blurriness is already improving a little. Without my glasses, I can already read the "breaking news" headlines on local TV with that eye. OK, that's letters about 1.5" tall fifteen feet away, but still it is as good as my other eye without my glasses.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #117
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
W2R, glad things went well on #1. I have a friend that had cataract surgery and said the difference is night and day.

Here's a stupid question. Post surgery, did you drive yourself home (like wearing special sunglasses)? Or did you need a driver?
No way! I needed a driver. Not only that, the surgical center would not even do the surgery unless I had a driver sitting there waiting to drive me home. They wouldn't even allow a taxi.

However, I didn't personally feel the need to have any help once he got me home and got me some lunch. I am sitting in my easy chair and perfectly fine. So, since a musician friend wanted his help with audio tonight, he can go and do that while knowing that I am perfectly fine. I am not to do anything strenuous, but sitting here in my easy chair seems to be fine.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

The morning after my first surgery, I got up and turned on the bathroom light. WOW! I thought the lights of Broadway had been relocated to my apartment!! I did not realize my eye was still so dilated. That was probably 16 to 18 hours after the procedure.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #120

W2R, glad to hear all went well with the first one, now on to the next!