Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
W2R, glad to hear all went well with the first one, now on to the next!
+1

Take comfort in the knowledge the odds are now better than 50/50 you won't have to be a pirate on Halloween...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #122
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes_to_Lurk View Post
The morning after my first surgery, I got up and turned on the bathroom light. WOW! I thought the lights of Broadway had been relocated to my apartment!! I did not realize my eye was still so dilated. That was probably 16 to 18 hours after the procedure.
Wow, that long! I have a while to wait, then. I'll be getting my post-op checkup with the surgeon 20 hours after the surgery.

I am busily blinking as BestWifeEver suggested....
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #123
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Take comfort in the knowledge the odds are now better than 50/50 you won't have to be a pirate on Halloween...
No pirate eyepatch for me! Not even on the way home from the outpatient surgical center.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #124
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
W2R, glad to hear all went well with the first one, now on to the next!
+1
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No way! I needed a driver. Not only that, the surgical center would not even do the surgery unless I had a driver sitting there waiting to drive me home. They wouldn't even allow a taxi.

However, I didn't personally feel the need to have any help once he got me home and got me some lunch. I am sitting in my easy chair and perfectly fine. So, since a musician friend wanted his help with audio tonight, he can go and do that while knowing that I am perfectly fine. I am not to do anything strenuous, but sitting here in my easy chair seems to be fine.
Thanks for the info. Glad to know that once you got home, only an easy chair was needed .
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,555
Yeah! Glad to hear that it went so well. DH went for his follow-up with the doctor yesterday. His vision was 20/25 in that eye. They said it should continue to improve hopefully. Take it easy and rest!
__________________
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,905
Glad to hear all went well. My wife who used to wear really thick glasses all her life had the surgery on one eye 3 weeks ago and the other eye about 10 days ago. She can see distance just fine now without glasses. In fact it is really strange to see her walking around without glasses after all this time (been married 45 years).
__________________
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:40 AM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,601
They dilate your pupil to the max for cataract procedures. Mine was first thing in the morning and it was still somewhat dilated when I went to sleep that night. This is the main cause of the blurriness.

On the bright side, you'll be amused at yourself when you realize how much calmer you'll feel when you go in for your second eye.
__________________
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #129
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,158
great to hear the first one went well. DW had both done this year with no issues and can see much better. Now she has stopped running into immovable objects with her car!
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:56 AM   #130
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,930
Happy to hear you survived the first one w/ flying colors. When you finish w/ the 2nd and are admiring the lost wonders of your world in fine detail, here's one to add to your list:
the headlights of your car.........what color are the lenses? and do they also have............
cataracts? Just a new way of looking at the issue inspired by your recent thread. Perhaps they also contributed to the night driving issue? I just restored the ones on
DW's Camry with what is likely to be a temporary fix but DW says she can see much more of the road at night now.
__________________
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #131
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
They dilate your pupil to the max for cataract procedures. Mine was first thing in the morning and it was still somewhat dilated when I went to sleep that night. This is the main cause of the blurriness.

On the bright side, you'll be amused at yourself when you realize how much calmer you'll feel when you go in for your second eye.
Last night's 7 hours' sleep made a HUGE difference in the blurriness and I am utterly thrilled at how clearly I can see from that eye. I am no longer wondering if it was stupid to schedule getting the other eye done so soon (next Thursday), because I can see so well from the eye that had surgery yesterday.

And you're right - - I already feel SO much calmer about getting the second eye done, now. I can hardly wait!

This morning I see my surgeon for the first post-operative checkup. I think he is going to be as pleased as I am.

As for the difference in colors, it's amazing. It's as though I had been going around with the lights out and somebody turned on a light.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #132
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
great to hear the first one went well. DW had both done this year with no issues and can see much better. Now she has stopped running into immovable objects with her car!
What a relief that must be. Maybe I'll actually see the stop signs in residential neighborhoods, now. Also I am hoping that I stop breaking my toes on the furniture, as I have done twice in the past six months! They are healed now and I don't need any more of that, for sure.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #133
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Happy to hear you survived the first one w/ flying colors. When you finish w/ the 2nd and are admiring the lost wonders of your world in fine detail, here's one to add to your list:
the headlights of your car.........what color are the lenses? and do they also have............
cataracts? Just a new way of looking at the issue inspired by your recent thread. Perhaps they also contributed to the night driving issue? I just restored the ones on
DW's Camry with what is likely to be a temporary fix but DW says she can see much more of the road at night now.
We have a business near my old house that fixes that problem with headlights. I don't think that is my issue, though - - I was very confused by the glare more than anything. Still, it's a good item to add to my task list so thanks.

This morning my vision has cleared up and I no longer have all that blur due to my eyes being so dilated! The difference is miraculous. In about two hours I have my first post-operative checkup with the surgeon. I am sure he will be as ecstatic as I am.

As for the colors, well, I feel like I have been wandering around in a world with the lights out, and somebody turned on the lights. I had forgotten what it was like to have young eyes, and now I have one again. Can't wait to get the other eye done next Thursday.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #134
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,887
So very, very pleased for you!

On the subject of cars and cataracts: We just sold our 10-year-old car and got a new one. What a difference the windshield's non-glare coating makes! Also, the LED headlights! And the automatically-dimming mirrors! These things won't fix bad cataract issues that require surgery, but for small early cataracts, they are a miracle.

Amethyst
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #135
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
So very, very pleased for you!
Thank you!

My surgeon was pleased with the results so far as well. He checked for infection or other problems and found none. Also he pointed out that my eyes are still fairly dilated and that my vision will get even better once that wears off in another day or so. As Frank drove me to and from his office, I was having a ball reading street signs and so on. Lots of fun.

Even though my (still dilated) vision was just 20/40 without glasses, before surgery it was only correctable to 20/35 with glasses on - - so to me this amount of improvement is nearly miraculous. He expects considerably more improvement as the dilation wears off, and I am hoping for 20/20. Looking in the mirror, my left pupil still looks like a gigantic, yawning abyss. This is because they use super-powerful meds to dilate the eyes for surgery, compared with what they normally use to dilate eyes.

The brighter colors and whiter whites are subtle but amazing. I had assumed that the dull appearance of things (instead of bright and colorful) was just due to bad attitude and not due to a physical cause, but boy was I wrong.

The feeling of sand in the eye that bothers some people was very mild for me, only lasted a few hours and is now gone. Whew, dodged that bullet.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #136
Moderator
MBAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,154
Great report, W2R! Hope # 2 goes just as well next week!
__________________
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
----------------------------------
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #137
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,259
Your result sounds great! All surgeries are scary, but your experience makes me want to get the surgery myself.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #138
Full time employment: Posting here.
Accidental Retiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thank you!

My surgeon was pleased with the results so far as well. He checked for infection or other problems and found none. Also he pointed out that my eyes are still fairly dilated and that my vision will get even better once that wears off in another day or so. As Frank drove me to and from his office, I was having a ball reading street signs and so on. Lots of fun.

Even though my (still dilated) vision was just 20/40 without glasses, before surgery it was only correctable to 20/35 with glasses on - - so to me this amount of improvement is nearly miraculous. He expects considerably more improvement as the dilation wears off, and I am hoping for 20/20. Looking in the mirror, my left pupil still looks like a gigantic, yawning abyss. This is because they use super-powerful meds to dilate the eyes for surgery, compared with what they normally use to dilate eyes.

The brighter colors and whiter whites are subtle but amazing. I had assumed that the dull appearance of things (instead of bright and colorful) was just due to bad attitude and not due to a physical cause, but boy was I wrong.

The feeling of sand in the eye that bothers some people was very mild for me, only lasted a few hours and is now gone. Whew, dodged that bullet.

My husband had an eye exam today and learned he has cataracts starting to form.
It was wonderful to be able to cite your excellent results to him; I think it allayed his worries somewhat.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
Chief Retirement Strategist
The AR Group
Accidental Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #139
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Your result sounds great! All surgeries are scary, but your experience makes me want to get the surgery myself.
If you really need it to see, then I'd recommend it. The first surgery scared the heck out of me, as you can tell from my earlier posts in this thread. Surgery on the second eye is going to be a piece of cake, because I know what I am getting into and because my first eye came out so nicely. Eyes are nice that way, in that we have a spare and my spare is in great shape.

Now, I am eager to get the second surgery which is on Thursday. Right now, F and I can't seem to get the left lens out of my insanely expensive glasses frame. He says the screw was stripped when they put my present lens in. Oh lovely. So, I will be going "glasses free" all week.

Then for the rest of my life, I am hoping/assuming I'll continue to be "glasses free" except for cheap drugstore readers. This will be wonderful because in New Orleans, we are constantly going from highly air conditioned indoor environments into extremely high humidity and heat outside, so glasses fog up a lot.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #140
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,814
This thread makes me want to get cataract surgery even though I don't think I have cataracts.... corrected vision, brighter colors... It all sounds wonderful to me.
__________________

__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
micro pensions 7%, rental income 18%
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cataract surgery... lense opinions. LARS Health and Early Retirement 26 10-31-2012 05:49 PM
Can We Talk Cataract Surgery? Marita40 Health and Early Retirement 28 04-05-2012 05:34 AM
Cataract Surgery-Multi focal lens nwsteve Health and Early Retirement 15 10-07-2008 10:46 AM
Cataract eye surgery modhatter Health and Early Retirement 4 06-10-2007 08:58 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.