Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #161
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My doc gave me a color-coded calendar chart that was so easy to follow that any idiot could do it. That's a proven fact, because I had no trouble with it!
Your doc is smart! I didn't get anything like that. All I got was an instruction sheet, with each medication listed and a rambling verbal description of how many days before or after one's surgery to start, stop, and change the number of drops, etc. It also verbally described how to self-administer eyedrops (but for me that wasn't an issue).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I have it all laid out in Excel, with rows corresponding to dates, columns corresponding to medication and which eye, and number of drops in the cells.

and do you have a corresponding spreadsheet to check off when the task is done so you don't double-dose? Things must have changed a lot over the yrs..........I don't remember it being that complex..............or maybe these just show that my short-term and long-term memories have degraded uniformly over the yrs.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have read a lot of complaints online about all the eyedrops surrounding cataract surgery. I don't have any trouble getting drops in my eyes (thank goodness), but those who do should probably practice with sterile water for a while I guess.

Also, it takes being an extremely detail-oriented person, to follow the drops schedule correctly. I don't suppose anyone here would have any trouble, and especially those of us with a slight touch of OCD probably would be able to handle this task more easily than the average patient. However, when I look at the other patients in my ophthalmologist's waiting room it seems miraculous to me that any of them could follow the directions. And what about those with mild dementia? There is no way they could handle this IMO.

So far, the instructions have only required me to change the drops schedule 3 times but there are 7 more changes ahead. Right now, I am using 3 types of drops for my left eye (1, 2, and 4 drops a day depending on the medication), and 2 types for my right eye (1 and 4 drops). The ones with multiple drops need to be spread out throughout the day. On Thursday I'll add the 3rd medication to the right eye. Later on, the medicine requiring 2 drops will change to 1 drop for each eye but a week apart, since the surgeries were a week apart. And then, one quits each drop at a different number of days following the corresponding surgery except for the Cipro, which one quits when it runs out. So, there are 6 different quit dates with two unknown. At least some of the drops will continue until November 15th.

I have it all laid out in Excel, with rows corresponding to dates, columns corresponding to medication and which eye, and number of drops in the cells.

Just thought I'd give a "heads up" to those with cataract surgery coming up.

On a more cheerful note, I am loving my "new eye" and actually looking forward to Thursday's surgery on the other eye. I don't think I have ever seen this well, even ten years ago when I had contact lenses.
T.Y.

So happy to hear your still doing well.
That is helpful to know. My consult is Wednesday afternoon, I am getting excited of the thought of waking up being able to see! I've been dependent on glasses since age 6 so the thought of being able to see unaided is totally foreign to me.

The drops, DM was ok mentally when she had her cataracts done so no huge issues. Years later she had to do more drops for glaucoma. Her dementia had advanced so it was difficult for her to remain on schedule. Didn't understand DF, he helped her with everything, except her eyedrops. After she had passed and DF was unable to hide his dementia it became clear to us kids, he couldn't do it either! Admitting he had dementia only came in the last 6 months of life. So sad if we get to that point.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #164
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
and do you have a corresponding spreadsheet to check off when the task is done so you don't double-dose? Things must have changed a lot over the yrs..........I don't remember it being that complex..............or maybe these just show that my short-term and long-term memories have degraded uniformly over the yrs.
At first I did that. Now I have the three medications for the left eye kept in a ziplock baggie labeled with a big "L", and the three for the right eye kept in a ziplog baggie labeled with a big "R". I deal with this by moving the medications into and out of the bags as I use them. It's complicated, but I am keeping track according to physical location and making that location change depending on the number of drops already administered that day.

Maybe it's not as complicated as it seems to me right now! I am hoping that I will fall into a routine quickly, before I have to change it up. Oh yeah, that would be Thursday.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #165

Quote:
At first I did that. Now I have the three medications for the left eye kept in a ziplock baggie labeled with a big "L", and the three for the right eye kept in a ziplog baggie labeled with a big "R". I deal with this by moving the medications into and out of the bags as I use them. It's complicated, but I am keeping track according to physical location and making that location change depending on the number of drops already administered that day.

Maybe it's not as complicated as it seems to me right now! I am hoping that I will fall into a routine quickly, before I have to change it up. Oh yeah, that would be Thursday.
My eyes are starting to water just hearing about this eye drop treatment plan. I suspect it won't be long and I will following in your footsteps.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #166
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
T.Y.

So happy to hear your still doing well.
That is helpful to know. My consult is Wednesday afternoon, I am getting excited of the thought of waking up being able to see! I've been dependent on glasses since age 6 so the thought of being able to see unaided is totally foreign to me.
Me too! It is such a great experience to open my eyes in the morning, and be able to see so clearly. Just riding around in the car with F driving, is such fun because I can read all the street signs and billboards aloud. Plus, the colors are so pretty.

Quote:
The drops, DM was ok mentally when she had her cataracts done so no huge issues. Years later she had to do more drops for glaucoma. Her dementia had advanced so it was difficult for her to remain on schedule. Didn't understand DF, he helped her with everything, except her eyedrops. After she had passed and DF was unable to hide his dementia it became clear to us kids, he couldn't do it either! Admitting he had dementia only came in the last 6 months of life. So sad if we get to that point.
Yes, that is so sad! Luckily that will not be a problem for you. Still, it's more complicated than it sounds like it would be, so I thought I'd give folks a "heads up" about it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #167
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At first I did that. Now I have the three medications for the left eye kept in a ziplock baggie labeled with a big "L", and the three for the right eye kept in a ziplog baggie labeled with a big "R".
Now all you need to do is draw a backwards "L" and "R" on your forehead above each eye...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't think the eye drop management was too overwhelming--I set alarms in my phone as reminders but didn't really need them. And a small price to pay vs the results! My surgeon is thrilled with the results. I never in a million years thought I would be able to see like this (my vision was never corrected to 20/20), and nine months later still savor that I can see individual leaves in perfect color on the trees across the street and down the block.

Good luck on eye no. 2 on Thursday, W2R!
Old 10-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #169
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
My eyes are starting to water just hearing about this eye drop treatment plan. I suspect it won't be long and I will following in your footsteps.
I guess I am lucky that self-administering eyedrops is a snap for me. No problems with excessive eye watering, which is good because the drops are enough by themselves! I am sorry that you may have to have cataract surgery, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #170
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I didn't think the eye drop management was too overwhelming--I set alarms in my phone as reminders but didn't really need them.
That's because you are a smart, detail-oriented ER forum person!

But how could you remember all those dates when the routine changes? I tried just writing down the next date of change in Excel, but I am thinking that switching to my pretty colored squares in Excel instead, will give me better, more visual input.

I used my iPhone alarms at first, but now the four times of day seem to be pretty ingrained. When the time for eyedrops comes around, I know it but then my first thought is, "OK, how many of these drops now in this eye?" and that is where Excel is helping me out.

Quote:
And a small price to pay vs the results! My surgeon is thrilled with the results. I never in a million years thought I would be able to see like this (my vision was never corrected to 20/20), and nine months later still savor that I can see individual leaves in perfect color on the trees across the street and down the block.

Good luck on eye no. 2 on Thursday, W2R!
I second all your comments about how amazing it is to see this well! And thank you for the good wishes.

OK, off to lunch with Frank.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

One last thing I realized about eyedrops and this surgery--for me all the drops were done after ten days, so remembering to use them and whatever discomfort so e find with them are both finite problems. I thought it was a longterm prescription but nope.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #172
Administrator

Quote:
One last thing I realized about eyedrops and this surgery--for me all the drops were done after ten days, so remembering to use them and whatever discomfort so e find with them are both finite problems. I thought it was a longterm prescription but nope.
Maybe you were on stronger eyedrops or something? Anyway, it's 42 days for my surgeon's cataract patients (35 on each eye, but they are staggered because the surgeries are a week apart). I guess different surgeons must do it differently. Frankly, after 8 days on the drops for my left eye already, my eye feels great and very soothed and comfy and "good to go". But my eyes are so important to me, that I'll go ahead and do exactly what he says for me to do.

Also I am still wearing the eyepatch colander thingie to bed, but I get to stop wearing it to bed on my left eye, the day of my next surgery after which I start wearing it to bed on my right eye. Again I don't really feel like I still need it, but I'm not going to tempt fate. I read online that some people have to wear it or an eyepatch during the daytime at first, and I didn't have to do that. Good.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Wait, I forgot the steroid drops had to continue three more weeks in a weaning procedure--oops. And your drops schedule is much more complicated than mine was because of the short time between your surgeries, so you have major overlap. That would be very hard to keep track of! I had five weeks between eyes as we had a prepaid vacation that got in the way to get over first, so the first eye's drops were a distant memory!
Old 10-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #174
Administrator

Quote:
Wait, I forgot the steroid drops had to continue three more weeks in a weaning procedure--oops. And your drops schedule is much more complicated than mine was because of the short time between your surgeries, so you have major overlap. That would be very hard to keep track of! I had five weeks between eyes as we had a prepaid vacation that got in the way to get over first, so the first eye's drops were a distant memory!
Oh, OK, I see!

With mine,

October 5-7:
4 drops Ciprofloxacin, left eye
1 drop ilevro, left eye

October 8:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Durezol, left eye

October 9-11:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
2 drops Durezol, left eye

October 12-14:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
4 drops Ciprofloxacin, right eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye

October 15:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye
1 drop Durezol, right eye

October 16-21:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye
2 drops Durezol, right eye

October 22-28:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Durezol, left eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye
2 drops Durezol, right eye

October 29-November 4:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Durezol, left eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye

November 5-8:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye

November 9-12:
4 drops Ciprofloxacin, left eye (unless/until the bottle is empty)
1 drop Ilevro, right eye

November 13-15:
4 drops Ciprofloxacin, right eye (unless/until the bottle is empty)
1 drop Ilevro, right eye

November 15-?:
4 drops Ciprofloxacin, right eye (unless/until the bottle is empty)

Fun, huh!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #175
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love how you've broken that down. Now I understand the need for a spreadsheet.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #176
Administrator

Quote:
I love how you've broken that down. Now I understand the need for a spreadsheet.
Yes, it's a lot easier that way, with lots of colors and detail.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #177

W2R,

Your eye drop schedule looks absolutely crazy!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #178

I remember a big eye drop schedule when I had LASIK. I was glad when it was all done and am very happy with my repaired eyes. Congratulations on your progress and I can hardly wait for Thursday when you will have 2 new eyes!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #179
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
W2R,

Your eye drop schedule looks absolutely crazy!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I completely agree! But at age 67, with only one eye done, I have the best vision of my entire life. So, if this terrific surgeon wants me to follow this crazy eyedrop schedule, I'm going to do my best to do what he feels is best.

I am sure it will get easier as I go along. My point was just that I am not as prone to exaggeration as some may have assumed, and that one might want to be prepared to tackle the drop schedule with enthusiasm and a little thought. Just in case.

I cannot wait until this weekend, when the other eye will be done. My vision wasn't this good even as a kid or teenager.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 PM   #180

Different surgeons do do things differently. My DH had cataract surgery on left eye on 09/29/15. He was not allowed to lift 15 lbs the first week or bend below his waist. He was not allowed to be alone for 24 hours after the surgery and not allowed to sign any important papers for 24 hours after the surgery. He is only on 2 types of medication. His drops schedule was:

09/26/15, 09/27/15 and 09/28/15: 1 drop of Polymyxin 4 times per day.

09/29/15: 1 drop of Polymyxin when you wake up
1 drop of Durezol 4 times in a one hour period starting one hour prior to arrival for his surgery. After he got home, he had to have 1 drop of the Polymyxin every 2 hours and he had to use one drop of the Durezol 4 times the rest of that day.

09/30/15 through 10/06/15: 1 drop of Polymyxin 4 times per day and 1 drop of Durezol 4 times per day.

10/07/15 through 10/13/15: 1 drop of Durezol 2 times per day.

He had to wait 5 minutes between drops.

He is having cataract surgery on his right eye on 10/20/15. He will need to start on the drops for this eye on 10/17/15. I assume the medication and drop schedule will be the same.

We wished that we had scheduled his surgeries closer together, but after seeing your drop schedule, I am glad he will finish with his drops on the left eye, before starting on drops for his right eye.

Good luck on your second eye surgery. Your eyesight should be great this weekend and will continue to get better!