Cataract Surgery

So happy you are done with both eyes and that everything went so well! Now you can take it easy while you recover and soon be back to all the things that make retirement so wonderful.

Reactions: W2R
Great news, pleased to hear that your 2nd surgery went well. :dance:

Good to hear.

So glad the second surgery went well. Sit back and relax for a few days.

Good idea! It's very convenient to be retired, so I can easily have that luxury.

Tomorrow I will have my one day checkup with the ophthalmologist, but that is the only thing on my schedule for the next few days.

W2R, Glad to hear that all went well for your second surgery.

Glad it went well, and oh, what an appropriate avatar!

Glad it went well, and oh, what an appropriate avatar!

Ha ha!!! Thanks, and thanks. :D My present left eye may not look as youthful, but it can sure can see better than it could when that avatar photo was taken.

I am just resting and napping off and on this afternoon. I'm not used to getting up at 4:30 AM in retirement, like I did this morning.
6978-albums71-picture641.gif

Last edited:
Congratulations! Just keep up on the eyedrop schedules, and you are home free (less deductible and copay, of course). :dance: :cool:

Congratulations! Just keep up on the eyedrop schedules, and you are home free (less deductible and copay, of course). :dance: :cool:

Thank you!

No deductible or co-pay, luckily. I pay as much for my "BCBS Standard" federal employee/retiree health insurance as I did before I retired, and didn't get a reduction when I started Medicare (which is primary). So, now that I am retired and on Medicare, BCBS gives me zero deductible and picks up the co-pay. I'd imagine Medicare's contribution more than makes up for that. All I have to pay is my share of drug costs, which so far has been $142.50. I paid it with my Amazon Visa so I get 2% back in rewards. Had I had this surgery before Medicare kicked in, I think I would be paying a lot more.

I am rigorously working on the eyedrops; just put one in each eye, and have a different one to put in each eye right now. Also I trying to keep myself from mauling my eye even though it itches now and then. A very light dab of a clean tissue seems to help the itching (so I am trying to substitute that for scratching or rubbing).

Last edited:
Good news about the second surgery being as successful as the first. Let Frank take care of you and enjoy that comfy easy chair.

Good news about the second surgery being as successful as the first. Let Frank take care of you and enjoy that comfy easy chair.

Thanks, I will do just that. :) It is so comfy, and even more so now that it is in my new house instead of the old one where this photo was taken.

Attachments

• chair_best.jpg
    chair_best.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15
......I am rigorously working on the eyedrops; just put one in each eye, and have a different one to put in each eye right now. Also I trying to keep myself from mauling my eye even though it itches now and then. A very light dab of a clean tissue seems to help the itching (so I am trying to substitute that for scratching or rubbing).

Is the itching due to the surgery or something else? I had surgery to remove cysts inside my eye lids and it was itchy at the incision like there was a scab. I know a lot of people that have had cataract surgery but I didn't realize you had to use so many eye drops. Glad things are going well.

Is the itching due to the surgery or something else? I had surgery to remove cysts inside my eye lids and it was itchy at the incision like there was a scab. I know a lot of people that have had cataract surgery but I didn't realize you had to use so many eye drops. Glad things are going well.

Thank you! I'm not sure if the itching is because of the surgery, because of mild allergies, or simply because I know that I can't scratch or rub my eyes right now so of course I want to DO those things. :2funny:

Two hours ago I had my post-op checkup and all went well. I mentioned the itching to the doctor but he didn't seem too concerned. He said that all is well and to come back in 2 weeks, instead 1 week as usually scheduled.

The driver's license place was jammed, with not even one parking place, so we put off getting my new "no glasses needed" driver's license until Monday. With F living right next door he is happy to drive me around as desired. I don't really have anywhere I need to go this weekend anyway.

The driver's license place was jammed, with not even one parking place, so we put off getting my new "no glasses needed" driver's license until Monday.

When I got a new DL earlier this year, the clerk asked if there were any other changes beyond my address, and I replied that I no longer needed the corrective lens endorsement. She said I would have to bring in a letter from a doctor to confirm that. I asked if I could just do the vision screening there in the DMV, but she said that wouldn't cut it. The restriction has to stay on the DL until I bring in a doctor's letter.

It really didn't matter to me, so I didn't bother pursuing it. I can't imagine a cop ever asking where my glasses are in a traffic stop because so many people wear contacts. If that ever happens, I'll just explain that my corrective lenses are now internal and not visible.

Your state probably has different rules, but I suggest checking before you make the trip, to avoid any frustration.

It really didn't matter to me, so I didn't bother pursuing it. I can't imagine a cop ever asking where my glasses are in a traffic stop because so many people wear contacts. If that ever happens, I'll just explain that my corrective lenses are now internal and not visible.

That probably won't work. When I was a patrol officer I always checked. Contact lenses can be seen if one looks closely, and it's even easier at night by shining a flashlight across (not into) the eyeball.

If I didn't see a contact lens the person got a ticket, and they had the option of calling someone to drive the car home or it got towed. They were not going to drive away. Can you imagine the liability to me and the department if I let them go and they later crashed into someone? I think the phase "dereliction of duty" would come into play....

Carrying a recently dated letter from the doctor might work but eventually the question will arise "Why haven't you had it changed at DMV?"

Wow, pretty confusing! Maybe the motor vehicles department would accept my lens implant identification card instead of a doctor's letter. If not, I'll ask my surgeon at the next check-up to give me a letter like that.

If not, I'll ask my surgeon at the next check-up to give me a letter like that.

It's probably best to get the letter from the doc, I'm sure he gets that request a lot, probably even has a Word document and just needs to fill in your name and such. Surprising they wouldn't just let you take the eye test though.

Back
Top Bottom