Cataract Surgery

Good grief.The part about "no taxi" is just ridiculous. What do people do, who don't have a partner handy and aren't the type to "approach" neighbors or don't have approachable neighbors? Do they have to pay to hire a driver for a whole day? :mad:

It sounded unreasonable at first, but after going through the surgery it sounds more reasonable. I am really glad that Frank could drive me home. If I took a taxi, they would just drop me off down at the street probably, maybe 50 feet from the door. But Frank drove up the driveway to about 3 feet from my side door, got the car door and house door open, held me by the arm to steady me as I walked inside, pointed out the little step right at the doorway so I didn't trip on it, steered me to my easy chair and got me situated in it, and then brought me lunch. A cabbie wouldn't have done all that. I am thinking that if I had been dropped off at the street instead, it is possible or even probable that I might have tripped or fallen because I was pretty shaken up and not 100% quite yet. Maybe other people are and I was the exception? I have no idea, but I was sure glad Frank was there caring for me.
:smitten:

Last edited:
W2R, just something for you to think about..........something I thought of doing but never did and kinda wished I had. Now and in the coming weeks while the impressions and colors and shapes are fresh in your mind and memory, write a note (story, poem,etc) to your doctor. It doesn't have to be an explicit thank you but I'm sure they will get the message. It's kind of like notes that students write to teachers. I bet those are treasured and saved for years and decades and as a side benefit, I'm pretty sure you won't be just a number or just another patient in the future. Be sure to keep a copy for yourself too.

The irony is that someone could show up with a spouse who shouldn't actually be driving, or a neighbor who just got out of jail, and it would be acceptable because appearances were maintained. It's all smoke-and-mirrors to avoid being sued, I suspect.

They don't fool around with this. I had to pay $65 (4 hour minimum), plus cab fare.

W2R, I've been out of pocket for a while so am just now seeing this. Glad your cataract removal went well, and like you, I have trepidations when it comes to someone messing with my eyes. I think my right eye is being impacted by a cataract, and need to go in soon for a checkup. I have a friend who is well known Ophthalmologist in the DFW area, and he tells me it is better not to wait to treat these cataracts as the outcomes will be better.

My husband can drive but doesn't (normally). He has a license. I had the same instructions about "no taxi" and was relieved that he was willing to drive me approximately six blocks and back. However I asked if I could take a taxi if my husband was with me. There was a lot of stuttering but I finally got the answer "Well I guess that would be alright." Luckily I didn't have to test that answer with the people actually at the facility. Sometimes they decide at the last minute to give a stronger sedative. I guess the "no taxi" rule allows for such a situation.

W2R, just something for you to think about..........something I thought of doing but never did and kinda wished I had. Now and in the coming weeks while the impressions and colors and shapes are fresh in your mind and memory, write a note (story, poem,etc) to your doctor. It doesn't have to be an explicit thank you but I'm sure they will get the message. It's kind of like notes that students write to teachers. I bet those are treasured and saved for years and decades and as a side benefit, I'm pretty sure you won't be just a number or just another patient in the future. Be sure to keep a copy for yourself too.

Good idea! At the post-op checkup the following morning, I did tell him that he was a miracle worker (in those words!) and that he needed to pat himself on the back for a job well done.... :D But a little memento in writing couldn't do any harm, either.

The irony is that someone could show up with a spouse who shouldn't actually be driving, or a neighbor who just got out of jail, and it would be acceptable because appearances were maintained. It's all smoke-and-mirrors to avoid being sued, I suspect.

Sure, that's probably part of it too. But honestly, in my case I felt that the "no taxis" rule was in my best interest given the shape I was in.

W2R, I've been out of pocket for a while so am just now seeing this. Glad your cataract removal went well, and like you, I have trepidations when it comes to someone messing with my eyes. I think my right eye is being impacted by a cataract, and need to go in soon for a checkup. I have a friend who is well known Ophthalmologist in the DFW area, and he tells me it is better not to wait to treat these cataracts as the outcomes will be better.
Thank you! My optometrist said my vision could only be corrected to 20:35 and I needed to have my cataracts looked at. (For several years beforehand, he had said it was up to me.) So, I asked him for a referral to a good ophthalmologist. The ophthalmologist didn't even ask, but told me the good news was that my vision problems could be fixed. That sounded pretty good to me. :) So basically this was not on my own initiative. I doubt I would ever have had my cataracts checked by an ophthalmologist, had my optometrist not essentially ordered me to do that.

My husband can drive but doesn't (normally). He has a license. I had the same instructions about "no taxi" and was relieved that he was willing to drive me approximately six blocks and back. However I asked if I could take a taxi if my husband was with me. There was a lot of stuttering but I finally got the answer "Well I guess that would be alright." Luckily I didn't have to test that answer with the people actually at the facility. Sometimes they decide at the last minute to give a stronger sedative. I guess the "no taxi" rule allows for such a situation.
That's right. Plus, even though I just had a light anesthetic, I still felt wiped out, shaky, and weak afterwards so I was glad I had someone with me.

Angie s list now rates doctors. I've written glowing reviews for my eye doctor and husband's skin surgeon. The whole office staff reads them ( they can see who submitted the review).

Eyedrops require some attention and planning

I have read a lot of complaints online about all the eyedrops surrounding cataract surgery. I don't have any trouble getting drops in my eyes (thank goodness), but those who do should probably practice with sterile water for a while I guess.

Also, it takes being an extremely detail-oriented person, to follow the drops schedule correctly. I don't suppose anyone here would have any trouble, and especially those of us with a slight touch of OCD probably would be able to handle this task more easily than the average patient. However, when I look at the other patients in my ophthalmologist's waiting room it seems miraculous to me that any of them could follow the directions. And what about those with mild dementia? There is no way they could handle this IMO.

So far, the instructions have only required me to change the drops schedule 3 times but there are 7 more changes ahead. Right now, I am using 3 types of drops for my left eye (1, 2, and 4 drops a day depending on the medication), and 2 types for my right eye (1 and 4 drops). The ones with multiple drops need to be spread out throughout the day. On Thursday I'll add the 3rd medication to the right eye. Later on, the medicine requiring 2 drops will change to 1 drop for each eye but a week apart, since the surgeries were a week apart. And then, one quits each drop at a different number of days following the corresponding surgery except for the Cipro, which one quits when it runs out. So, there are 6 different quit dates with two unknown. At least some of the drops will continue until November 15th.

I have it all laid out in Excel, with rows corresponding to dates, columns corresponding to medication and which eye, and number of drops in the cells.

Just thought I'd give a "heads up" to those with cataract surgery coming up.

On a more cheerful note, I am loving my "new eye" and actually looking forward to Thursday's surgery on the other eye. I don't think I have ever seen this well, even ten years ago when I had contact lenses.

Last edited:
However, when I look at the other patients in my ophthalmologist's waiting room it seems miraculous to me that any of them could follow the directions. And what about those with mild dementia? There is no way they could handle this IMO.

My doc gave me a color-coded calendar chart that was so easy to follow that any idiot could do it. That's a proven fact, because I had no trouble with it! :LOL:

My doc gave me a color-coded calendar chart that was so easy to follow that any idiot could do it. That's a proven fact, because I had no trouble with it! :LOL:

Your doc is smart! I didn't get anything like that. All I got was an instruction sheet, with each medication listed and a rambling verbal description of how many days before or after one's surgery to start, stop, and change the number of drops, etc. It also verbally described how to self-administer eyedrops (but for me that wasn't an issue).

Last edited:

I have it all laid out in Excel, with rows corresponding to dates, columns corresponding to medication and which eye, and number of drops in the cells.

and do you have a corresponding spreadsheet to check off when the task is done so you don't double-dose? Things must have changed a lot over the yrs..........I don't remember it being that complex..............or maybe these just show that my short-term and long-term memories have degraded uniformly over the yrs. :)

I have read a lot of complaints online about all the eyedrops surrounding cataract surgery. I don't have any trouble getting drops in my eyes (thank goodness), but those who do should probably practice with sterile water for a while I guess.

Also, it takes being an extremely detail-oriented person, to follow the drops schedule correctly. I don't suppose anyone here would have any trouble, and especially those of us with a slight touch of OCD probably would be able to handle this task more easily than the average patient. However, when I look at the other patients in my ophthalmologist's waiting room it seems miraculous to me that any of them could follow the directions. And what about those with mild dementia? There is no way they could handle this IMO.

So far, the instructions have only required me to change the drops schedule 3 times but there are 7 more changes ahead. Right now, I am using 3 types of drops for my left eye (1, 2, and 4 drops a day depending on the medication), and 2 types for my right eye (1 and 4 drops). The ones with multiple drops need to be spread out throughout the day. On Thursday I'll add the 3rd medication to the right eye. Later on, the medicine requiring 2 drops will change to 1 drop for each eye but a week apart, since the surgeries were a week apart. And then, one quits each drop at a different number of days following the corresponding surgery except for the Cipro, which one quits when it runs out. So, there are 6 different quit dates with two unknown. At least some of the drops will continue until November 15th.

Just thought I'd give a "heads up" to those with cataract surgery coming up.

On a more cheerful note, I am loving my "new eye" and actually looking forward to Thursday's surgery on the other eye. I don't think I have ever seen this well, even ten years ago when I had contact lenses.

T.Y.

So happy to hear your still doing well.
That is helpful to know. My consult is Wednesday afternoon, I am getting excited of the thought of waking up being able to see! I've been dependent on glasses since age 6 so the thought of being able to see unaided is totally foreign to me.

The drops, DM was ok mentally when she had her cataracts done so no huge issues. Years later she had to do more drops for glaucoma. Her dementia had advanced so it was difficult for her to remain on schedule. Didn't understand DF, he helped her with everything, except her eyedrops. After she had passed and DF was unable to hide his dementia it became clear to us kids, he couldn't do it either! Admitting he had dementia only came in the last 6 months of life. So sad if we get to that point.

and do you have a corresponding spreadsheet to check off when the task is done so you don't double-dose? Things must have changed a lot over the yrs..........I don't remember it being that complex..............or maybe these just show that my short-term and long-term memories have degraded uniformly over the yrs. :)

At first I did that. Now I have the three medications for the left eye kept in a ziplock baggie labeled with a big "L", and the three for the right eye kept in a ziplog baggie labeled with a big "R". I deal with this by moving the medications into and out of the bags as I use them. It's complicated, but I am keeping track according to physical location and making that location change depending on the number of drops already administered that day.

Maybe it's not as complicated as it seems to me right now! I am hoping that I will fall into a routine quickly, before I have to change it up. :LOL: Oh yeah, that would be Thursday.

At first I did that. Now I have the three medications for the left eye kept in a ziplock baggie labeled with a big "L", and the three for the right eye kept in a ziplog baggie labeled with a big "R". I deal with this by moving the medications into and out of the bags as I use them. It's complicated, but I am keeping track according to physical location and making that location change depending on the number of drops already administered that day.

Maybe it's not as complicated as it seems to me right now! I am hoping that I will fall into a routine quickly, before I have to change it up. :LOL: Oh yeah, that would be Thursday.

My eyes are starting to water just hearing about this eye drop treatment plan. I suspect it won't be long and I will following in your footsteps.

T.Y.

So happy to hear your still doing well.
That is helpful to know. My consult is Wednesday afternoon, I am getting excited of the thought of waking up being able to see! I've been dependent on glasses since age 6 so the thought of being able to see unaided is totally foreign to me.

Me too! It is such a great experience to open my eyes in the morning, and be able to see so clearly. Just riding around in the car with F driving, is such fun because I can read all the street signs and billboards aloud. Plus, the colors are so pretty.

The drops, DM was ok mentally when she had her cataracts done so no huge issues. Years later she had to do more drops for glaucoma. Her dementia had advanced so it was difficult for her to remain on schedule. Didn't understand DF, he helped her with everything, except her eyedrops. After she had passed and DF was unable to hide his dementia it became clear to us kids, he couldn't do it either! Admitting he had dementia only came in the last 6 months of life. So sad if we get to that point.

Yes, that is so sad! Luckily that will not be a problem for you. Still, it's more complicated than it sounds like it would be, so I thought I'd give folks a "heads up" about it.

At first I did that. Now I have the three medications for the left eye kept in a ziplock baggie labeled with a big "L", and the three for the right eye kept in a ziplog baggie labeled with a big "R".

Now all you need to do is draw a backwards "L" and "R" on your forehead above each eye... :)

Reactions: W2R
I didn't think the eye drop management was too overwhelming--I set alarms in my phone as reminders but didn't really need them. And a small price to pay vs the results! My surgeon is thrilled with the results. I never in a million years thought I would be able to see like this (my vision was never corrected to 20/20), and nine months later still savor that I can see individual leaves in perfect color on the trees across the street and down the block.

Good luck on eye no. 2 on Thursday, W2R!

My eyes are starting to water just hearing about this eye drop treatment plan. I suspect it won't be long and I will following in your footsteps.

I guess I am lucky that self-administering eyedrops is a snap for me. No problems with excessive eye watering, which is good because the drops are enough by themselves! :LOL: I am sorry that you may have to have cataract surgery, too.

I didn't think the eye drop management was too overwhelming--I set alarms in my phone as reminders but didn't really need them.
That's because you are a smart, detail-oriented ER forum person! :D

But how could you remember all those dates when the routine changes? I tried just writing down the next date of change in Excel, but I am thinking that switching to my pretty colored squares in Excel instead, will give me better, more visual input.

I used my iPhone alarms at first, but now the four times of day seem to be pretty ingrained. When the time for eyedrops comes around, I know it but then my first thought is, "OK, how many of these drops now in this eye?" and that is where Excel is helping me out.

And a small price to pay vs the results! My surgeon is thrilled with the results. I never in a million years thought I would be able to see like this (my vision was never corrected to 20/20), and nine months later still savor that I can see individual leaves in perfect color on the trees across the street and down the block.

Good luck on eye no. 2 on Thursday, W2R!
I second all your comments about how amazing it is to see this well! And thank you for the good wishes. :)

OK, off to lunch with Frank.

One last thing I realized about eyedrops and this surgery--for me all the drops were done after ten days, so remembering to use them and whatever discomfort so e find with them are both finite problems. I thought it was a longterm prescription but nope.

One last thing I realized about eyedrops and this surgery--for me all the drops were done after ten days, so remembering to use them and whatever discomfort so e find with them are both finite problems. I thought it was a longterm prescription but nope.

Maybe you were on stronger eyedrops or something? Anyway, it's 42 days for my surgeon's cataract patients (35 on each eye, but they are staggered because the surgeries are a week apart). I guess different surgeons must do it differently. Frankly, after 8 days on the drops for my left eye already, my eye feels great and very soothed and comfy and "good to go". But my eyes are so important to me, that I'll go ahead and do exactly what he says for me to do.

Also I am still wearing the eyepatch colander thingie to bed, but I get to stop wearing it to bed on my left eye, the day of my next surgery after which I start wearing it to bed on my right eye. Again I don't really feel like I still need it, but I'm not going to tempt fate. I read online that some people have to wear it or an eyepatch during the daytime at first, and I didn't have to do that. Good.

Last edited:
Wait, I forgot the steroid drops had to continue three more weeks in a weaning procedure--oops. And your drops schedule is much more complicated than mine was because of the short time between your surgeries, so you have major overlap. That would be very hard to keep track of! I had five weeks between eyes as we had a prepaid vacation that got in the way to get over first, so the first eye's drops were a distant memory!

Wait, I forgot the steroid drops had to continue three more weeks in a weaning procedure--oops. And your drops schedule is much more complicated than mine was because of the short time between your surgeries, so you have major overlap. That would be very hard to keep track of! I had five weeks between eyes as we had a prepaid vacation that got in the way to get over first, so the first eye's drops were a distant memory!

Oh, OK, I see!

With mine,

October 5-7:
4 drops Ciprofloxacin, left eye
1 drop ilevro, left eye

October 8:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Durezol, left eye

October 9-11:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
2 drops Durezol, left eye

October 12-14:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
4 drops Ciprofloxacin, right eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye

October 15:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye
1 drop Durezol, right eye

October 16-21:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye
2 drops Durezol, right eye

October 22-28:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Durezol, left eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye
2 drops Durezol, right eye

October 29-November 4:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Durezol, left eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye

November 5-8:
1 drop Ilevro, left eye
1 drop Ilevro, right eye

November 9-12:
4 drops Ciprofloxacin, left eye (unless/until the bottle is empty)
1 drop Ilevro, right eye

November 13-15:
4 drops Ciprofloxacin, right eye (unless/until the bottle is empty)
1 drop Ilevro, right eye

November 15-?:
4 drops Ciprofloxacin, right eye (unless/until the bottle is empty)

Fun, huh! :LOL:

Last edited:
I love how you've broken that down. Now I understand the need for a spreadsheet.:)

Back
Top Bottom