Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
So does that mean you need reading glasses

Glad to hear that you can now SEE!!!
For now I do need reading glasses. When I eventually get the second eye done the Doctor said if I wanted I could set the next eye more for reading than distance.

I'll make a decision then, but for now reading glasses is a very, very minor inconvenience compared to being able to wake up in the morning and not have to grab my glasses to see!

Cateract surgery really is amazing!

The doctor did tell me, however, given I was so near sighted I have to continue to be careful about retinal detachments as they can materialize later on due to the changes in the eyeball due to cataract surgery.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
For now I do need reading glasses. When I eventually get the second eye done the Doctor said if I wanted I could set the next eye more for reading than distance.

Congratulations on the successful surgery !
I had one set for reading and it works great . The only time I use readers is if I am reading for long periods of time . I also do not notice the difference in the eyes at all . I would highly recommend it .

Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Congratulations on the successful surgery !
I had one set for reading and it works great . The only time I use readers is if I am reading for long periods of time . I also do not notice the difference in the eyes at all . I would highly recommend it .
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I got preliminary information about my upcoming cataract surgery and they are recommending either the Tecnis or the Crystalens for a multifocal IOL. It looks like the Tecnis is the latest of this kind. Has anyone had any experience with either of these lenses? I am in my late 50s and was not really prepared to make this decision, but the vision in my right eye has deteriorated to the point where I am ready to do it. Just trying to choose the right lens is driving me nuts.

I don't mind wearing glasses for driving or for extended reading, but I don't want to wear them around the house and for hobbies, travel, etc. I spend a lot of time on a computer (don't we all) and have always loved to read, until the last year when reading has become difficult because of the cataract.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #25

Everyone is different, but in my case I went with mono focus. I didn't want to chance something I couldn't test before hand.

In the end, I'd say my eye (with mono) turned out to be a reasonable compromise. I can see very clearly from about 1 1/2 feet to thirty or forty feet. For dedicated reading I still feel more comfortable with readers, which given a life of glasses/contacts is no big deal.

As far as distance, I see more than well enough (uncorrected) and so I'm pleased with the compromise the mono lense has made.

YMMV...

EDIT: I should have added that as far as the mono, around the house, everyday living I do not feel the need for any glasses (other than reading).
Old 07-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Crystalens and Tecnis were just coming to market when I had my multi-focals put in two years ago. The new technologies are amazing but personally found it less disappointing not to be the early adopter when it comes to medical devices unless there are no other choices.
Suggest you have your Doc do a compare and contrast to the Restor and Rezoom alternatives so you can fully understand what the new technologies benefit and risks including costs.
Nwsteve
Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My surgery will be next month. I can still choose the newer lenses that focus both near and far. Are there any new thoughts or experiences people might share?