Cataract surgery report part 1

My cataract ops were just over a year ago, and I felt the same way. I treated myself to a pair of Oakley sunglasses. I was lucky, since when I went into the Oakley store I found a pair I loved that was being closed out and cost about half the original price. Probably one of the best purchases I've ever made -- a year later and I still love them.

Oakley was one of the brands the optician mentioned. I can't wait until things settle and I can go sunglasses shopping!

I had a very similar experience with my cataract removal and lens implants. No pain, no panic - easy-peasey. After a lifetime of dependence on either glasses or contacts, I'm 20/20 in one eye and close to 20/15 in the other.

Don't hesitate to have this procedure if you are a good candidate for it!

Oakley was one of the brands the optician mentioned. I can't wait until things settle and I can go sunglasses shopping!

I just bought my first over the counter pair of sunglasses yesterday.. I'm into fishing, so I googled sunglass reviews for that purpose, but it looks like the reviews stand up to all uses since they talk about durability, kinds of tinting etc.. the article is here

Bought the Smith Chief pair, which was first on the list...pricey at $200, but a deal when you consider the many years ahead that I will NOT be buying prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses.

I just bought my first over the counter pair of sunglasses yesterday.. I'm into fishing, so I googled sunglass reviews for that purpose, but it looks like the reviews stand up to all uses since they talk about durability, kinds of tinting etc.. the article is here

Bought the Smith Chief pair, which was first on the list...pricey at $200, but a deal when you consider the many years ahead that I will NOT be buying prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses.

Thanks for the link. Some of these would make a great pair of gardening glasses. They need to be on the cheap side though as they constantly fall off into the dirt or get poked by the shrubs!

I'm going to go shopping early next week. The ones I received after the surgery are driving me absolutely nuts as the lens distortion is unbelievable. I keep wanting to take them off even though it's nice and sunny outside.

Where do you find a good sized selection of good sunglasses to try on? Having worn only prescription sunglasses for 30+ years, I haven't a clue as to where to go for a good selection. A problem I have is that I need adjustable nose piece type glasses as the shape of my nose makes the other type too painful after wearing them for more than .5 hr or so.

Any sporting goods store will have a big selection

I just finished up successful cataract surgery in both eyes (second surgery was a month ago) and am having the relatively common problem of glare/streaking off of lights or even light/dark interfaces. Between what the surgeon said (capsule wrinkle) and what I've read online, there could be several causes but many times this resolve itself as the eye heals. It's a nuisance for night driving, but not so much that I can't try and wait it out before seeking a medical solution (probably the simple YAG laser treatment), so anyone have direct experience with this? One of my friends said it took almost a year before this faded away. Biggest pain right now is that my left eye had been mostly clear but in the last week some glare has returned, although not as bad as the other eye

Larry

I've been wanting to get rid of my glasses for a while, and go for a lens replacement, but figured I would wait until I get cataracts. I am curious as to what age most folks get cataracts? I'm 65 and still nothing showing up, although I have floaters in both eyes.

at 61 the cataract in my right eye got aggressive and required 2 prescription changes within 8 months.. about 4 months later I had the surgery in both eyes. No regrets, except I wouldn't opt for the expensive multi-lens.. didn't work for me..still need readers.

I've been wanting to get rid of my glasses for a while, and go for a lens replacement, but figured I would wait until I get cataracts. I am curious as to what age most folks get cataracts? I'm 65 and still nothing showing up, although I have floaters in both eyes.

I had my cataracts removed at 54. Never thought I would consider myself "lucky" to have developed a condition like that relatively young! :dance:

I found a couple of links for you, courtesy of Google.

"By the time you turn 65, chances are about 50-50 that you will have begun to develop a cataract,"
What to do about cataract

"By age 80, more than half of all Americans either have a cataract or have had cataract surgery." Cataracts, Facts About [NEI Health Information]

It sounds like some people never have to have cataract surgery at all. Maybe that will be the case for you?

I just finished up successful cataract surgery in both eyes (second surgery was a month ago) and am having the relatively common problem of glare/streaking off of lights or even light/dark interfaces. Between what the surgeon said (capsule wrinkle) and what I've read online, there could be several causes but many times this resolve itself as the eye heals. It's a nuisance for night driving, but not so much that I can't try and wait it out before seeking a medical solution (probably the simple YAG laser treatment), so anyone have direct experience with this? One of my friends said it took almost a year before this faded away. Biggest pain right now is that my left eye had been mostly clear but in the last week some glare has returned, although not as bad as the other eye

Larry

That does sound like a nuisance! I have no experience with this (I have not had cataract surgery).

Maybe it's time for you to cut back on night driving, if possible.

I am 70 with no trace of cataracts, but with prescription glasses (very mild issues). My family had "good eyes" as Mom and Dad never had prescription glasses, just cheepo drug store reading ones. One sister, no glasses @60 and one at 65 with a mild prescription. I don't know of anyone in my family line that had a cataract. Could this be a hereditary factor?

at 61 the cataract in my right eye got aggressive and required 2 prescription changes within 8 months.. about 4 months later I had the surgery in both eyes. No regrets, except I wouldn't opt for the expensive multi-lens.. didn't work for me..still need readers.

This is what happened to me, but at a younger age, though not by much :LOL:. Opted for a mono focal lens and now have monovision, which I love. No readers, only distance prescription sunglasses for driving. For some reason sunglasses cause degradation in my vision which is noticeable and somewhat annoying when I drive. I love being able to see the TV clearly and read at the same time w/o glasses.

The cataract in m left eye is so tiny that it's not affecting my vision. Doc says it could stay that way for years or could go the route of the right eye.

DH, late sixties has the beginnings of cataracts. His doc says it will be years before he needs surgery.

Some medications have the side effect of causing cataracts such as asthma meds because of the steroids in them. I know 2 people with 2 different doctors many years apart that had one eye done & would not do the other due to not having good results. One of them has the feeling that something is in his eye all the time. Another could no longer drive at night once it was done & her eye also had a funny feeling that was constantly there. Unfortunately, mine are developing so will wait until there is a point where I must have it done. So glad to hear it turns out great for so many people.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I have been lucky or as its genetic or its just my wearing a baseball cap where ever I go.

Multiple causes.
My primary doc developed cataracts when he was 20 years younger than I was when I got mine.
He blamed his misspent youth when he worked every summer as a lifeguard without ever wearing sunglasses.

Multiple causes.
My primary doc developed cataracts when he was 20 years younger than I was when I got mine.
He blamed his misspent youth when he worked every summer as a lifeguard without ever wearing sunglasses.

Yep, that was my brother's cause. Both eyes, mid 40s, water animal trainer and careless about eye protection.

I was lucky enough to have cataracts removed when I was in my early 50's. I wore terribly thick glasses, the kind people comment on. Now I don't wear any at all!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom