Join Early Retirement Today

Cataract surgery report part 1
Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cataract surgery report part 1

Will try to update as possible:

Today right eye, multi lens implant (ReStor ACRYSofiq lens)
It's pricy and not covered by insurance as are all the mono lenses. I decided I was a good candidate for it and went for it.

Reported at 8:30 to surgi-center.. final prep about 10:30, procedue at 11 and home by 11:30. Would have been quicker but they got backed up a little. Dr had done 7 procedures before me and had 2 additional behind me. Looks like she tries to do 10 every Tuesday morning... big bucks there, for sure.

Took about 15 minutes, no pain whatsoever. They put in (guessing) 12 rounds of drops and a numbing drop multiple times prior to landing in the OR ready to go. In the OR, they added something to my saline IV to put me in a twilight mode.. peaceful, could talk plainly with no confusion, answer questions etc, but didn't feel drugged.
The procedure was fascinating from my perspective. My bad right eye only eye exposed. Staring at overhead bright colored lights. The DR used a microscope to guide her in breaking up my lens and removing it, then inserting the multi lens. I could see it all happening, from her vacuuming up the pieces of the old lens, to the edges and features of the new one.
Wheeled me out to recovery with a diet coke and a muffin. I was a little groggy,but not much at all. Again, ZERO discomfort or pain. Put a patch over my eye (a plastic mesh protector to wear to keep me from scratching the eye or letting something get into it,, it doesn't shut out light and all vision, it's just a mesh thing). I have many drops to put in over next days and weeks. She will remove the mesh (although I have taken it off several times to put in drops) completely at 8am tomorrow and has cleared me and my DW to drive to San Antonio to visit friends Friday... amazing.
Hope to get the other eye done in 2-3 weeks..can't wait.

I had to take out the lens in my glasses that provided the strong correction for my bad right eye. I will get their optical shop to drop in a clear glass lens so I can have glasses until the other implant, at which time I can toss the glasses for good. Possible I might need readers for close up reading, but it's unlikely.

I will try to post more on the progress part of this if anyone is interested.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for this clear description of what cataract surgery is like from the patient's perspective. You mentioned that you could actually see the old lens being vacuumed up and the edges and features of the new lens. That does sound a little creepy, but apparently not enough to bother you. Either you are far braver than I am, or else those medications were helping to keep any panic at bay.

It is amazing to read how quickly you can ditch that mesh and travel.

Bet you're glad to have that done with!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Man......... my eyes are watering like crazy just reading your post...

But, I have been told that with my bad vision I am a great candidate of needing it done to me in the future...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

According to my eye exam this last summer, Dr said I have no traces of cataracts and probably won't for 10 more years (I'm 70, BTW). Must be eating the carrots that helped!

DW has two cataracts scheduled for removal in April. (then maybe she will stop backing into my car)
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I've worn strong prescription lenses since I was 4 years old. As I've aged my vision has gotten worse but thankfully technology has kept up and prevented the lenses from getting ridiculously thick. Between me and you I can't wait for cataracts to finally shed these goggles
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #6

Because I had elective eye surgery (Radial Keratotomy) in the very early 90's, and because I had to have one eye done twice & the other eye done 3 times.....I have a lot of scar tissue on the surface of my eyes. My night vision's not so good, and in fact, neither is my day vision, but better than the low-light times. My visual acuity isn't good at all anymore. I wear bifocals, and still it's not so good. When I first got the surgery, it was great, & I was able to get my driver's license in Texas with no restrictions. Over the years though, it's deteriorated. Basically, I really wasn't the best candidate for the RK, because my vision was pretty bad at the time. I had it done in Austin, TX. The additional surgeries were to try to get my vision more finely tuned....and to try to correct some astigmatism. Ok....to shorten this story....I've been told that I can't really have the laser version of RK, due to all the scarring. I was told that really the only thing I could look forward to was that eventually I'd probably need cataract surgery, and at that time I should be able to get lens implants that oughta help my vision. I'm not blind....I still am working and I am driving. I see ok to drive in the day but at night, wife drives. I may be the only person who really hopes to get cataracts & the surgery.

Well.....apparently it's myself & Derslickmeister who hope for cataracts!
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Thank you, Tailgate...I was anxiously awaiting your report as my surgery is scheduled on the 24th. Your report of the surgery itself sounds fascinating, but I'm concerned I'll have a heart attack before I get there due to the anxiety I know I will experience!

I already have the 3 drops that I will need to administer, 2 of them starting a few days before the surgery.

Question for you...did your doc mention/reinforce the prohibition against heavy lifting and/or bending so that your head is below your waist for the first 7 days? Mine says NO exercise other than leisurely walking and light housework. I do TRX 2x/wk as well as other exercise and lifting as part of my normal routine and am concerned that one week is enough...maybe I should go for 10 days?
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Thank you, Tailgate...I was anxiously awaiting your report as my surgery is scheduled on the 24th. Your report of the surgery itself sounds fascinating, but I'm concerned I'll have a heart attack before I get there due to the anxiety I know I will experience!

I already have the 3 drops that I will need to administer, 2 of them starting a few days before the surgery.

Question for you...did your doc mention/reinforce the prohibition against heavy lifting and/or bending so that your head is below your waist for the first 7 days? Mine says NO exercise other than leisurely walking and light housework. I do TRX 2x/wk as well as other exercise and lifting as part of my normal routine and am concerned that one week is enough...maybe I should go for 10 days?
My doc and yours may differ... Don't worry, just listen to your doc. All will be fine!! Seriously!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
I've worn strong prescription lenses since I was 4 years old. As I've aged my vision has gotten worse but thankfully technology has kept up and prevented the lenses from getting ridiculously thick. Between me and you I can't wait for cataracts to finally shed these goggles
+1
Mine started at age 6.
When my mom had hers done 15 years ago, she was so happy! She said she realized her white walls were not yellow anymore, she could quit her daily scrubbing.

To OP, Best wishes on full vision and your full recovery.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1
Mine started at age 6.
When my mom had hers done 15 years ago, she was so happy! She said she realized her white walls were not yellow anymore, she could quit her daily scrubbing.

To OP, Best wishes on full vision and your full recovery.
MRG
thanks for the best wishes. Time will tell if I can adjust to these new multi lenses.. there are a lot of folks who don't think too much of them and think the monos are the way to go... I just couldn't pass up the chance to chunk the glasses after 55 years. To those with this procedure in their future... be of good cheer! it's not a problem....no need to worry.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Will try to update as possible:

Today right eye, multi lens implant (ReStor ACRYSofiq lens)
It's pricy and not covered by insurance as are all the mono lenses. I decided I was a good candidate for it and went for it.
My wife had cataract surgery on both eyes in the last 9 months and she got the implants that correct astigmatism.(multifocal with astigmatism not approved in US yet) Insurance covered the basic Doctor bill but not the extra $600 for Dr. fee for astigmatism implant. It also covered the surgery center for basic lens implant and we had to pay $395 extra for the fancy lens.
You might make sure if you are footing the entire bill that it gets sent in to see if insurance will cover it.
The fee's were about 10k before insurance did the discounts they do for in network.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #12

Thank you for this post. I couldn't imagine seeing what was happening - I'm having trouble just thinking about it !

Congratulation on a successful surgery and being brave enough to endure it !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Because I had elective eye surgery (Radial Keratotomy) in the very early 90's, and because I had to have one eye done twice & the other eye done 3 times.....I have a lot of scar tissue on the surface of my eyes. My night vision's not so good, and in fact, neither is my day vision, but better than the low-light times. My visual acuity isn't good at all anymore. I wear bifocals, and still it's not so good. When I first got the surgery, it was great, & I was able to get my driver's license in Texas with no restrictions. Over the years though, it's deteriorated. Basically, I really wasn't the best candidate for the RK, because my vision was pretty bad at the time. I had it done in Austin, TX. The additional surgeries were to try to get my vision more finely tuned....and to try to correct some astigmatism. Ok....to shorten this story....I've been told that I can't really have the laser version of RK, due to all the scarring. I was told that really the only thing I could look forward to was that eventually I'd probably need cataract surgery, and at that time I should be able to get lens implants that oughta help my vision. I'm not blind....I still am working and I am driving. I see ok to drive in the day but at night, wife drives. I may be the only person who really hopes to get cataracts & the surgery.

I did not go through any of the things you have.... but am on the fence about cataract surgery..

When I went in to see about having 'permanent contact lenses', it was determined that I was not a candidate.... but the doc was talking about something else... it took me awhile to figure it out, but he was planning 'clear lens replacement'.... IOW, cataract surgery to fix my vision!!!

I said no thanks.... I will wait and hope something better comes along...

BTW, can't do laser surgery either... pupils are too wide in the dark....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post

I'm similar with two LASIK surgeries. No improvement with glasses or anything. Contrast is weaker too.
Hoping there will be advancements in this field to help us out later.
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:03 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Tailgate, thanks for that great description! I'm another one who wants to know exactly what's happening during my medical procedures. Please update us when the other eye is complete. Have fun on your trip!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #16

Yes, thank you for such a clear description of the surgery. I am another one that likes to know what is going on before such a procedure. Docs have told me that I have the makings of a cataract, but have not mentioned surgery yet. DH was told that he would probably need it within 3-4 yrs, I believe. He had the lasik surgery done several years ago and loved that he did not have to wear glasses. He had to go back to prescription glasses a couple of years ago for nighttime driving and some reading.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #17

Had my surgery at 11:30am this morning. Tailgate was spot on in his description. My anxiety (and the 2 lb weight gain ) this past week were totally unnecessary. They introduced valium (or similar) in my IV and I was chatting with the surgeon and anesthesiologist during the procedure. The light and color show was fascinating. No grogginess after it was all over. Unfortunately, all I got was water with ice chips...no diet coke or muffin here.

My goal of monovision appears to be achievable. I am able to read w/o glasses...better than I could before the surgery. The right (bad) now farsighted eye is still very dilated, but looking out at my garden, I can see the individual leaves WITHOUT my glasses...can you tell I'm excited . I'm hoping there are no depth perception issues, but will have to wait on that. Colors appear more intense, but that may just be my imagination!

I'm looking forward to getting back to my normal activities in about a week or so.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #18

Congrats TrvlBug! Just make sure you don't bend over, lift over 20lbs or get water or soap in your eye! I think that the chances of a detached retina are very, very small, but that is something you don't want to take a chance on.

Keep us posted. My left eye is ready to go next Tuesday!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Glad that they went well. Actually, I was so sedated that I don't remember any of the surgery.

Colors will appear more intense, you no longer have the brown film of the cataract acting as natural sunglasses.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #20

Had my followup appt. this morning and all is well. Pressure is great as is vision, which I'm told will get even better during the next week or so as the swelling/inflammation subsides.

I was looking forward to picking up somewhat cheapo sunglasses, but that's not to be. I'm so impressed with the incredible vision I now have that nothing but the best optics for my sunglasses. I wasn't planning to spend around $300-$400 for the Maui Jim's which I'm told are the best. Tried some on at the optometrist's and I can tell the difference between those and the ones at Costco (Ray Ban's and similar). I'll do a bit more research and hope to find them cheaper elsewhere. Fortunately, I'm not one to lose, break or scratch my glasses and they last forever until I'm sick of them. Will pick up a cheapo pair or 2 for beach, yard work and the like.