Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2018, 04:48 AM   #21
gone traveling

when I can't go to 5 sleep, I get up and smoke a bowl. back to bed and asleep in 5 minutes. smoke the flowers and get the entourage effect. HINT: you don't have to smoke enough to get high, just only want you need.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 06:15 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seems like this whole thing is kinda "Wild West." My wife has been trying CBD oil for pain, with good results, but has found it keeps her awake if she takes it too close to bedtime.

But of course this is just anecdotal evidence. For all I know, the staying awake thing is pure placebo effect. Maybe someone told her it might do that, and she's looking for that effect. Ditto for all the other reported results.

Even with scientific, double-blind studies, medications affect different people differently. It's hard enough to know what works for you when there's solid science behind it.

With CBD and other Cannabis derivatives, there's also strong emotional and political motivations on both sides. This leaves a lot of room for pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo, and makes it harder to believe anyone, especially a self-proclaimed "budmaster" at some modern version of a hippie head shop. The cute names for their products, and the wide range of promised benefits, sound too much like snake oil.

It's a shame we don't have better information. I think CBD, THC and all their derivatives have a place in modern medicine. But since we're not really sure yet what's true and what's just some stoner's personal belief, we're left to experiment on ourselves.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #23

Thanks S. I don't live anywhere near a brick and mortar pot shop. Maybe there's a business opportunity for a virtual budmaster, lol!

Are there any double blind studies for CBD and sleep?

My sleep quality is tied closely to my food intake and timing. I would like to rule out that any oil would have a similar effect before spending larger bucks on CBD.

My null hypothesis would be that a quantity of oil at bedtime rounds off the blood sugar curve a little bit, enough to reduce disturbing sleep. So the participants would get either CBD oil pills or, say, olive oil pills. Maybe they could be enteric so the participants couldn't use the aroma of their burps to know which. Or perhaps flavoring both with mint or something (but it's hard to cover up that hemp aroma). Or perhaps just put 5% CBD and 95% olive oil in the placebo. There is always questions for participants about guessing if they got the placebo...if everyone had CBD burps, the study would be valid, whereas if they did a good job of guessing, less so.

Ok, I designed it, now we need to find a researcher and funding.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Colorado isn't that far!

MIL & her sis use a CBD cream for joint pain. As a matter of fact MIL is mailing some to California this week since sister likes the cream she got here while visiting

DW is using some CBD by vape for pain related to her cancer. Although she might have mixed in a THC vape. She said she has a relaxed muscle area last night. The Oxycodone isn't touching the pain. Morphine is next

Yes I have some relatives that keep reminding me where Colorado is.[emoji1]

I can relate to the pain that your wife is going through, even tho I’ve never had cancer. I’ve had 2 bouts of pancreatitis and morphine was what I was given. I was so grateful for that morphine.

I have read that for sleep it might be better to have a mix of THC and CBD. But I guess I’d better just try CBD first..and maybe some of that cream.

I need to go to that store. The weather has been a little iffy.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Yes I have some relatives that keep reminding me where Colorado is.[emoji1]

I can relate to the pain that your wife is going through, even tho I’ve never had cancer. I’ve had 2 bouts of pancreatitis and morphine was what I was given. I was so grateful for that morphine.

I have read that for sleep it might be better to have a mix of THC and CBD. But I guess I’d better just try CBD first..and maybe some of that cream.

I need to go to that store. The weather has been a little iffy.
I'm not sure about Nebraska but traveling through Kansas was interesting. Kansas loves to put out fake drug checkpoints, they can't actually do that. They look real with flashing lights on the highway off in the distance, and a convenient road to pull off onto.

The checkpoint is down that road, couple of troopers down there. Since you pulled over they now have probable cause to search your vehicle.

Just keep driving. Do be careful as the sudden appearance of lights on the highway can cause a big traffic issue.

A buddy if mine got popped in one. He'd been elk hunting in CO bought his DW a recreational candy bar. They had several large coolers in the pickup, in case they'd shot an elk. Trooper's thought they hit the mother load, only to find a $20 candy bar. They made him throw it away!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Use CBD topical and edibles as needed for sleep/anxiety/ and/or arthritis pain. Works very well.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Has anyone used CBD oil for sleep? I have a terrible time sleeping. This was in a local paper a few days ago. I wasn’t aware that we could even do this here. Apparently our law enforcement folks are being lenient right now so I want to try this in case they close the store.

Quote from article:
“Nebraska Attorney General Doug Peterson issued a memorandum to law enforcement in September 2017 that said cannabidiol or any product containing cannabidiol, obtained by any means other than the authorized University of Nebraska Medical Center study, remains illegal to possess, manufacture, distribute, dispense, or possess with the intent to manufacture, distribute, or dispense.”

https://journalstar.com/news/state-a...24a38d8f2.html

CBD may be the next wonder drug or may just be hype. With limited studies, it is hard to say. Try it - it isn't addicting, doesn't get you high. If it works for you - yay!

That said, there are many proven methods to improve the likelihood of sleep. DW did an online class from Kaiser Permanente (our HI provider) that helped her a lot when she had issues sleeping due to the onset of menopause. They included having a routine, meditation like exercises, not eating too close to bedtime, no caffeine after 4p (I think) etc.

Google for those tips. I've never suffered from insomnia, but after seeing DW suffer through it - I hope I never do.

Oh - we live in CO, but she hasn't tried CBD yet.

Good luck.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I'm not sure about Nebraska but traveling through Kansas was interesting. Kansas loves to put out fake drug checkpoints, they can't actually do that. They look real with flashing lights on the highway off in the distance, and a convenient road to pull off on.!

I don’t know how they do it here but according to the newspaper they can really haul it in. Lots of various activities on that interstate.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The checkpoint is down that road, couple of troopers down there. Since you pulled over they now have probable cause to search your vehicle.
You pulling over is not probable cause as has been decided in several cases.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #30

Just found this about the work at the University of Nebraska clinical trials after rereading what I quoted from the article. Nice!
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...idiol-benefits
Old 11-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I use melatonin occasionally, but is it safe for long-term daily use?
Also, seems like no matter what I do I only sleep 6 hours max at a time...
ExitLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I use a CBD cream for joint pain. It works better if it has some THC.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in WA state and use CBD cream with THC in it on my knee. I have arthritis in my knee and the dull pain I have goes away with the cream. I will need a knee replacement in the next few years, but as long as I can put some cream on it to dull the pain I will do it.

My pharmacist says the CBD cream with THC will not show up in a drug test.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #34

I have some oil and some cream now. They put some oil in a small paper cup of water that I drank in the store. Supposed to take once in the morning and then again around supper/dinner time. We will see...fingers crossed.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #35

As a person with bad allergies, I would just caution everyone to safely sample anything new. Anytime I try something new like CBD (which I have not tried yet), I put a small amount on my skin (assuming its a cream, oil, liquid). Then I will progress to a small amount on my tongue. If no reaction, I’ll take a very small dose. If a CBD dose is a drop, I’d try to take half of that, which admittedly gets tough in the case of small doses. Point is, allergic reactions are serious and take precautions when trying something new.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
As a person with bad allergies, I would just caution everyone to safely sample anything new. Anytime I try something new like CBD (which I have not tried yet), I put a small amount on my skin (assuming its a cream, oil, liquid). Then I will progress to a small amount on my tongue. If no reaction, I’ll take a very small dose. If a CBD dose is a drop, I’d try to take half of that, which admittedly gets tough in the case of small doses. Point is, allergic reactions are serious and take precautions when trying something new.

Very good idea. Too late for me since I jumped in head first. So far no reaction. My grandchild had a bad reaction a month or so ago to tree nuts but didn’t even dawn on me with this. Thank you.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure about Nebraska but traveling through Kansas was interesting. Kansas loves to put out fake drug checkpoints, they can't actually do that. They look real with flashing lights on the highway off in the distance, and a convenient road to pull off onto.

Just keep driving. Do be careful as the sudden appearance of lights on the highway can cause a big traffic issue.

A buddy if mine got popped in one. He'd been elk hunting in CO bought his DW a recreational candy bar. They had several large coolers in the pickup, in case they'd shot an elk. Trooper's thought they hit the mother load, only to find a $20 candy bar. They made him throw it away!

Law enforcement must be wasteful now. When I was underage and getting caught with alcohol they would confiscate it and take it home with them. I thought it was fair deal since they never ticketed me.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:50 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Law enforcement must be wasteful now. When I was underage and getting caught with alcohol they would confiscate it and take it home with them. I thought it was fair deal since they never ticketed me.
Ha! Reminds me of a friend's story about going back to visit a professor or someone on his old campus, and they wanted to sit and have some drinks. Maybe it was late and liquor stores were closed, or they didn't want to bother going out, so the guy told an RA to go bust some freshmen in a dorm to get them some alcohol.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You pulling over is not probable cause as has been decided in several cases.
The fact that you fell for the trick and got off the interstate before the supposed but non-existent drug check point is what the cops are using to concentrate suspects. If I lived in Kansas, I'd be wondering, who gets up one morning and thinks "I want to enact a program designed to trap small-time pot smokers coming out of Colorado using unconstitutional tactics". What possible motivation could such a person have? Just a power thing? Revenue generation with fines? I wonder if it's an unelected bureaucrat or some elected official trying to score points with an electorate that would mystify me.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The fact that you fell for the trick and got off the interstate before the supposed but non-existent drug check point is what the cops are using to concentrate suspects. If I lived in Kansas, I'd be wondering, who gets up one morning and thinks "I want to enact a program designed to trap small-time pot smokers coming out of Colorado using unconstitutional tactics". What possible motivation could such a person have? Just a power thing? Revenue generation with fines? I wonder if it's an unelected bureaucrat or some elected official trying to score points with an electorate that would mystify me.
Well sure, but the courts have established that the person taking an exit does not constitute probable cause, because there may be another reason the person took the exit. Without noticing some type of driving violation when taking the exit (or afterwards), there is no probable cause to pull the person over.

Oh sure - we know all the motivations. There has also been the powerful motivation of seizure of assets that can directly benefit a police/sheriff department.