Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That's what I am afraid of. But then, I am always an outsider. I went through college not attending a single party. I only hung out with a couple of friends.

Actually, I am more outgoing now than I ever was.
That makes sense to me. Outgoing people are out socializing with friends and enjoying social activities and games. Introverts might be more likely to enjoy more solitary games. (?) Of course, these days many computer games are multiplayer, so maybe my logic is flawed.

Quote:
Yet, I have changed. I do not remember the last time I read fiction, even the genre I used to read like Tom Clancy's, one of which Dex brought up in another thread. I read purely non-fiction works for the last several years.
I much prefer non-fiction to fiction right now. I love exploring the world through non-fiction, the internet, and on my own. But I also like creating my own imaginary worlds in computer games...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I love exploring the world through non-fiction, the internet, and on my own.
And by travel...

... with Frank?

Without my wife as companion, I would not want to travel.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I find it interesting that there are more folks interested in games, either for PC, Wii, Nintendo, or Playstation.
Is it just me who lost interest in games many many years ago? Am I not the young at heart that I think, but really a curmudgeon before his time?
Never caught on with me either-- I've held a Playstation controller for less than five minutes in my entire life. OTOH I find myself trying to improve my Windows Solitaire technique by memorizing the deck on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
a theory if i may - we both w*rked in a very serious profession, i.e. the techie world. it got to me many times, but i was always able to ignore the pressure to be conservative, responsible, and SERIOUS.`i had some frivilous compadres but laughter was rare and definitely frowned upon.
We were discouraged from propagating the stereotype of the "happy-go-lucky wild-eyed hard-partyin' seat-of-the-pants" nuclear engineer too...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then, same as everybody else, I migrated to PC games as they got more and more sophisticated. When I was about 35, my interest started to wane, my wife's before that. It could be that I found real life and history more interesting, and also somber. That could have been what turned me into a curmudgeon, although my family background was also a bit different than most.
Hey, I like history, too. Games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor are "realistic" and set in WW II Europe (maybe Japan/Pacific too?). God of War I and II set in Greek Mythology.

If you like military strategy, all of the real time strategy genre of games would interest you (Command and Conquer, and Command and Conquer: Red Alert, and if you don't mind the fantasy setting, Warcraft, also Starcraft in a futuristic space-theme).

I have to say that having a family definitely cuts into the game time for me. But it is a good way to experience escapism and blow a couple of hours if you can find the time! Then hit "save", turn off the game, and get back to the real world.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Hey, I like history, too. Games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor are "realistic" and set in WW II Europe (maybe Japan/Pacific too?). God of War I and II set in Greek Mythology.

If you like military strategy, all of the real time strategy genre of games would interest you (Command and Conquer, and Command and Conquer: Red Alert, and if you don't mind the fantasy setting, Warcraft, also Starcraft in a futuristic space-theme).

I have to say that having a family definitely cuts into the game time for me. But it is a good way to experience escapism and blow a couple of hours if you can find the time! Then hit "save", turn off the game, and get back to the real world.
I frequently play Red Alert with a cousin of mine. Its a great way to stay in touch over long distances. Both of us are horrible so the matches are fairly even.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #46

My favorite activities are all almost free, not in any particular order

--hiking in the woods with my dog
--reading on the Internet or a new book
--watching a movie or a fun TV show
--attending an author's appearance at the local bookstore
--happy hour with friends (inexpensive, not free)
--painting with watercolors or sculpting with clay (materials already in hand)
--posting on the ER forum
--talking on phone with family members
--writing
--dreaming about my next international trip

As of yet, I haven't been attracted to online gaming but the idea might appeal to me to take up chess again online! There's an open chess playing group in town as well.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #47

Oh I play Scrabble online. Membership for the year is like 12.95 and you can play as much as you like. Its done through email on a Scrabble board. Take turns etc.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I've been doing a lot of walking (with DW), riding bikes (low mileage), and am now starting to lift with dumbells and doing some rope jumping. Combining that with better eating. Making a hobby of kicking diabetes' ass, while taking down my BP and cholesterol levels too. Going to see how healthy I can be when I die. Interestingly, DW just googled up my father's (missing since my early childhood) obituary. He was 69 when he died in 2002. Pretty young in most families, but my mom died at 28, little brother at 42. Setting the bar pretty low for me.

As far as video games, I was big into the arcade games in the early 80s. Had a college buddy who made a fortune owning a few of the parlors. Later when the MUDs and first person shooters came along I avoided them. I had/have a busy life, and am well aware of my addictive tendencies. Maybe someday when I am more sedentary I'll give them a try. Right after I start smoking dope again.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #49

I remember going to the arcade and playing Asteroids - loved it - they had the place decked out like a spaceship with all of these games (PACMAN, etc). Additionally, my father had purchased one of the first pong games out - he's an engineer, so I think he was enamored of it - in any case, it got boring very quickly. After the Asteroids, I tired of computer games and have frankly not played any except for solitaire and that's just because it's easier than picking up a deck of cards - the way I challenge myself is to not allow myself to stop until I win a game....

My Dad and husband still play video games - my Dad likes the golf, hearts, mah jongg. I asked him why and he said it occupied his mind so that he could calm down - i.e., he and I are similar in that if we don't have something to occupy our minds they start to think or agitate too much....odd. I have done some very challenging hiking and people have asked my why I liked it. It actually freed my mind - I had to focus on where the next foot and hand position was so I couldn't let my mind wander - it was refreshing.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

My Mom is from the card playing generation so when our family gets together we play poker or pinochle . It 's cheap fun .Sometimes my SO and I will play monopoly or trivial pursuit I never got into video games for some reason they never appealed to me . I much prefer to spend time reading or working on home projects .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I would love to find a pinochle group, Moemg, and Scrabble online would be fun! I used to love Tetris. And a long time ago I gave our kids a PC game called Sam and Max Hit the Road that I adored myself. I was never coordinated enough to get Mario and Luigi to jump AND move forward at the same time on the Nintendo. The Wii intrigues me but DH would kill me if I suggested getting it.

DH and I are both volunteering for different things that interest us--that's cheap and easy and keeps us out of each other's hair for a few hours. We also belong to a health club for $100 a month--an expense I would cut but we go almost every day and hey, why not take showers there too--that saves us money on water and water heater at home. I take a creative writing class at the local community college--it's about $20 a session and good for social, intellectual exercise.

Also, if someone is a veteran, check your state veteran's agency--DH learned he can take 4 years of classes at an Illinois state college for free as an Illinois active duty veteran, even though he served a bazillion years ago and for only two years--this benefit is not related to the federal GI bill (which he already used a bazillion years ago). He's applying now for a master's program in something he's been interested in. Hope the program is looking for a few well-seasoned applicants.

And knitting, sewing, other handicrafts....
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I enjoy cooking, especially in the winter (pretty weird for a guy, huh?) Depending on your ingredients, I would submit that it goes beyond cheap and beyond free to being a great money saver. Entertainment that saves you money! How can you beat that?
You are right on Hankster. I love making a big pot of soup while the "game" is on(whatever game that is). Kids enjoy helping cut up veggies and stirring the pot. It smells wonderful and cooking is a wonderful bonding activity.
Beer man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just subscribed to NetFlix and just get the "one movie at a time" deal, but it is great! It's really cheap and we get to watch about 3 movies a week. It's way cheaper than the video store, or even PPV. It is especially good in the winter when we can't bet outside late. (In the summer we're outside til dark most every night)
catdance62 is offline   Reply With Quote