Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap/Free Activities
Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap/Free Activities

I've given up most of the costly hobbies/activities that cluttered my early adulthood, but a few vices left (boating for one). We are consciously trying out other hobbies/activities (Zelinksi Get-A-Life-Tree if you're familiar) now in preparation for retirement when the recession is over in a few years. For example, I have always enjoyed riding my bicycle whether for pure exercise, sightseeing or just enjoying a nice day - and it hardly costs anything.

I thought this would be a great place to troll for other cheap/free hobbies/activities (that I can add to our Tree). I'm sure we'll get some comedic great ideas from everyone here.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Ok. Navel gazing.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

One activity comes to mind, but I shall refrain.

Pencil and paper are inexpensive for sketching...not too good for the muscles, but it broadens and soothes the mind.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Obvious ones. Walking,hiking. Pack a brown bag picnic lunch go out to the park or waterfront. Unfortunately most of my hobbies dont fall in the cheap range.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Have you counted frequenting this forum? Good time killer, too much in fact...

Loving to travel to Europe, I often check out travel DVDs from the public library.

Also often check out foreign movie DVDs. As I get older, I like dramas, and no longer the American action genre with non-realistic stunts. The foreign movies carried by public libraries tend to be of the award-winning type, and also offer a window into their cultures, something that interests me.

I also read more non-fiction works. Public libraries are great. One big reason I may not want to retire to the 2nd home in the AZ boonie high country I bought as part of the initial plan.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

- do something analog (no computers or cell phones allowed) - in nice weather, grab a book or sketch pad or letter writing pad, a folding chair, a baby cooler, and go find a lake or stream and sit and enjoy. in winter, do inside in front of a sunny window.
- go buy a dozen cheap kites and hit the park or beach or lakeside. fly one yourself and watch adults come over and reminisce. hand them a cheap kite and string, say "it's on the house" and watch the smiles. i actually do this, especially if they have kids with them. i am The Kite Lady.
in winter, build a snowman, or better yet, a snow fort.
- garden outside or make indoor plants for yourself or friends.
- call friends you've lost touch with. this is downright magical.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #7

How about geocaching?

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
How about geocaching?

Coach
I went camping in the George Washington National Forest in early Oct, and we went on an 8 mile day hike through the mountains along the VA/WV border. As is usual with this group, we missed the blazes at one point and ended up 1/2 mile downhill on the wrong trail. While casting around through the woods trying to find the trail I came across an ammo box in a hollow tree. Looked in it (of course ) and found out it was a geocache stash GC11XBB Road to No Where (Traditional Cache) in West Virginia, United States created by two2dive4

I had never heard of geocaching, but since then I've been reading up on it. Definitely fits the cost/fun requirements. Good suggestion.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Since I live in Florida a day at the beach with a good book is my favorite free activity.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I enjoy cooking, especially in the winter (pretty weird for a guy, huh?) Depending on your ingredients, I would submit that it goes beyond cheap and beyond free to being a great money saver. Entertainment that saves you money! How can you beat that?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #11

-I second cooking.
-Ever consider writing a journal or personal history?
-Hiking/biking/trail running in the good weather months.
-Wii Fit...see other thread.
-Competing with yourself to see just how frugally you can live.
-Volunteerism...could go along with cooking. Find a family in your community or parish that is down on their luck, cook a meal for them, leave it on the porch, press the doorbell and run...
-Mow the neighbor's lawn when (s)he isn't looking...especially nice if she is an elderly widow.
-Invite friends for a weekly/monthly game night...scrabble, uno, cards, etc.

Just let your imagination run wild, I'm sure you'll find a lot of somethings that will be fun/interesting.

R
Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
-Mow the neighbor's lawn when (s)he isn't looking...especially nice if she is an elderly widow.
And maybe even nicer if she's a young widow.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #13

If you've got a large rock laying around you can try the Sisyphean challenge.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #14

--Sunset watching
--Feeding the ducks at the local lake
--Hiking with the dog
--Having friends over for a simple supper (soup and bread)
--Cheapo wine tasting parties (everyone has to bring a bottle, nobody can spend more than $10, winner gets a bottle of Thunderbird for a prize, loser has to drink some of it)
-- A friend of ours is into architectural walking tours of our town
-- Riding the city bus around town
-- Reading trashy magazines at the public library
-- Free lectures in the community
-- Volunteering (I especially like packing food boxes at the local food bank, but there are lots of fun things to do in most towns)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
"It is not economical to go to bed early to save candles if the result is twins." -- Chinese proverb
Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

- A day at the beach, especially with a longboard (entrance fee for a used board but unlimited rides)
- Neighborhood FOD walkdowns for stray coins, redeemable cans/bottles, and trash pickup
- Beach cleanup days with a volunteer group
- Your municipality's "Tour De Trash", where offered
- Twilight strolls of the neighborhood holiday decorations
- The local library
- Attending a neighborhood board meeting (if you've never been to one, it's hard to understand the "entertainment" factor)
- the "volunteer" section of the local newspaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Oh, it may seem cheap or even free at first...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

About cooking, I enjoy it more now that I eat less, and get more satisfaction out of feeding my family or guest. Hey, Hankster, it's not weird. Don't you notice most chefs/cooks are men?

It occurred to me that Midpack might be thinking more of a physical activity, since this is in the health forum. Or could it be mental health?

About physical activity, I don't know if any of you have access to a national forest near your home. From my hideout in the AZ high country, I could ride my dirt bike (motorcycle) into one. The most I have ridden with my son was 50 mi in a trip, over tough trails left by forest rangers. Came back sore for weeks. The cost of a used dirtbike isn't that bad. So far, in AZ you do not need to register such off-road vehicles nor pay for insurance.

Just occurred to me that I could try geocaching!!! I usually bring my GPS in case we get lost in the woods anyway.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
--Sunset watching
--Feeding the ducks at the local lake
--Hiking with the dog
--Having friends over for a simple supper (soup and bread)
--Cheapo wine tasting parties (everyone has to bring a bottle, nobody can spend more than $10, winner gets a bottle of Thunderbird for a prize, loser has to drink some of it)
-- A friend of ours is into architectural walking tours of our town
-- Riding the city bus around town
-- Reading trashy magazines at the public library
-- Free lectures in the community
-- Volunteering (I especially like packing food boxes at the local food bank, but there are lots of fun things to do in most towns)
--
Hey, this is my regular lifestyle. The bus is my main transportation; I sometimes read trashy magazines at the library: stuff like "Money" and "Kiplingers," walking tours are great, free lectures, check, ducks, check, volunteering, yep, friends over, you betcha.

OP, while you were posting this thread, I was enjoying "free day at the museum." Another one I've always liked is touring nearby college campuses, many of them have museums where a curator will jump at the chance to give a tour. There is a cathedral (Episcopal) where the priests jump out to give tours; I usually say I've been there before and know my way around; next time, maybe I'll take his tour.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #19

Many of the above like bicycling, I also have an 11' boat with a 5 hp outboard. Boat was bought used and had been wet once, the outboard was a store demonstrator. The boat is unusual in that it folds up and leans against a corner in the garage so it doesn't take much room to keep.

The next acquisition will be a motorcycle. Not necessarily cheap to buy, but cheap to run though unless you get a huge one.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I enjoy cooking, especially in the winter (pretty weird for a guy, huh?)
I enjoy cooking, too. I don't think it's that weird, stereotypes notwithstanding.

I just hate the clean-up after cooking.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote