Cheers!

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Seems almost too good to be true...

...a new paper in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research suggests that — for reasons that aren't entirely clear — abstaining from alcohol does actually tend to increase one's risk of dying even when you exclude former drinkers. The most shocking part? Abstainers' mortality rates are higher than those of heavy drinkers.
Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers, Study Finds - TIME

I enjoy things that are too good to be true. :greetings10: I'm keepin' the faith...

hmmm...I guess I better increase my life expectancy in my next FIRECALC run.

Probably because non-drinkers tend to be more uptight than drinkers.

Goody! I'll order another two cases of whatever has alcohol in it.

Same thought crossed my mind half-jokingly but I decided not to post it to avoid offending anyone.

So much for that idea ;).

I was a server during college and there is a huge difference in attitude between drinkers and non-drinkers. Drinkers are almost always friendly, easy to please, more talkative, and gave great tips. Non-drinkers were often uptight, complained about things, and left bad tips. Just the way it is I guess.

In a related story, AA attendance is down 60 percent this week.

The first thing I thought of was how often we read that a drunk driver is the only survivor in a fatal accident.

The headline should have read "Moderate Drinkers Live Longest":

The sample of those who were studied included individuals between ages 55 and 65 who had had any kind of outpatient care in the previous three years. The 1,824 participants were followed for 20 years. One drawback of the sample: a disproportionate number, 63%, were men. Just over 69% of the never-drinkers died during the 20 years, 60% of the heavy drinkers died and only 41% of moderate drinkers died.

Apparently, there are a lot of interesting correlations:

Think the Answer’s Clear? Look Again

Win an Academy Award and you’re likely to live longer than had you been a runner-up.

Interview for medical school on a rainy day, and your chances of being selected could fall.

or

He found that about 25 more people die in crashes on presidential Election Days in the United States than the norm

or (more to the point?)

“Every driver on average thinks he’s in the wrong lane,” Dr. Redelmeier said. “You think more cars are passing you when you’re actually passing them just as quickly. Still, you make a lane change where the benefits are illusory and not real.” Meanwhile, changing lanes increases the chances of collision about threefold.

Maybe because alcohol thins the blood which improves circulation.
Could be. I'm a T2 diabetic and we're considered to already had one heart attack (diabetes and heart problems are related).

As such, I go to a local hospital's heart care center for a checkup every six months. I'm a red wine drinker for many years, and was advised to continue my practice, since it was shown as a positive "vice" in my health situation.

The only thing we've found is that there is a link to triglycerides (e.g. free fat) in my blood and it's higher than normal. We've reduced the wine before a blood test (one time for a month and another for a week) and there is a definite link. During the one-month abstinence my Tri's dropped by around 100 points (from 300+ to 200+)

I'm a diabetic which should impact my lifespan. I also drink wine, which should lengthen it. I'll just be happy to break even :LOL: ...

I wish something similar happened to smokers:cool:. But no, it happens to drinkers....and I almost never drink, not even beer. Just my luck:(!

The survivor bias is because the heavy drinkers are extraordinarily well-[-]pickled[/-]preserved...

A few years back Hawaii had a notorious DUI case where the defendant's lawyer claimed his client was such a heavy drinker that (1) it took many more drinks than "normal" people for his coordination to suffer, and (2) his liver was able to metabolize alcohol far faster than the average human.

No one tried to rebut those claims, but the conviction & imprisonment still stood. Maybe under those conditions it just seems as if your life is longer.

Last edited:
There is a medical urban myth which states, "Cirrhotics are not sclerotics."

Translation: big time drinkers rarely get coronary artery or carotid disease. If it's true (a big IF) it's probably because they drink so much they rarely ingest fats and are often very underweight if you exclude the 3 liters of fluid in their abdomens.

There is a medical urban myth which states, "Cirrhotics are not sclerotics."
Translation: big time drinkers rarely get coronary artery or carotid disease. If it's true (a big IF) it's probably because they drink so much they rarely ingest fats and are often very underweight if you exclude the 3 liters of fluid in their abdomens.
I'm still lookin' for the downside to this very-low-fat diet...

I've always wondered about the recommended amounts of alcohol by gender...usually men are allowed twice the amount for females.

Yeah right. :whistle:

I think I'll go pour myself a nice glass of Hazlett Red Cat wine. :greetings10:

I'm not as Think as you Drunk I am...........:)

Back
Top Bottom