Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Really cheap chocolate (which can be sold for a high price sometimes) to me tastes like crayons. I don't know how I know the *taste* of crayons - Maybe from my younger days? It tastes so bad to me that I refuse to swallow it.
That is low cacao, high fat chocolate. Often a fat is used other than cocoa butter. The flavor is all in the beans, and so is the cost. High fat, waxy textured chocolate is low in flavor because it has a low proportion of beans.

Some like that slightly burnt flavor, some don't. That flavor is mostly determined in how the beans are roasted.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
That is low cacao, high fat chocolate. Often a fat is used other than cocoa butter. The flavor is all in the beans, and so is the cost. High fat, waxy textured chocolate is low in flavor because it has a low proportion of beans.

Some like that slightly burnt flavor, some don't. That flavor is mostly determined in how the beans are roasted.
Really! I don't know why that makes it taste like crayons though...? You know those cheap truffles they sell in bulk in a box at Costco and other places that contain a lot of palm oil or coconut oil? They actually taste very good to me, but stuff like Russel Stovers and those Hawaiian macademia nut chocolate clusters? They are just so disgusting (crayon flavor) - they are a bit waxy as you mention. Maybe they use the same fat crayons are made of...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Really! I don't know why that makes it taste like crayons though...? You know those cheap truffles they sell in bulk in a box at Costco and other places that contain a lot of palm oil or coconut oil? They actually taste very good to me, but stuff like Russel Stovers and those Hawaiian macademia nut chocolate clusters? They are just so disgusting (crayon flavor) - they are a bit waxy as you mention. Maybe they use the same fat crayons are made of...
I just looked it up - crayons contain paraffin wax! I just looked up copycat Russel Stover's recipes and they listed paraffin wax!!! How about that. (At least I wasn't crazy )
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I go through periods of chronic addiction to Sees Candy. Those of you in the western states know about Sees. Made in two factories (LA and SF I believe), their truffles are amazing. You might be able to order their choco from other states now via the internet. I've been a fan for 50+ years and their quality has not changed.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just looked it up - crayons contain paraffin wax! I just looked up copycat Russel Stover's recipes and they listed paraffin wax!!! How about that. (At least I wasn't crazy )
Only crazy folk enjoy Russel Stover's.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #26

I really like Hershey's Kisses but they DO taste like wax. I'll admit that when it comes to chocolate cheap or expensive is just fine by me. I wish I were more discriminating.

I also really love Reese's peanut butter cups and peanut M & M's. Again, poor taste.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

The paraffin doesn't surprise me. Look up the recipe for Buckeyes, which are a peanut butter center rolled in melted chocolate with a little paraffin. I assume the paraffin makes the chocolate a little more resistant to melting.

Many glossy candies are made with carnauba wax.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #28
Administrator

"It's a floor wax and a dessert topping"
Old 05-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I really like Hershey's Kisses but they DO taste like wax. I'll admit that when it comes to chocolate cheap or expensive is just fine by me. I wish I were more discriminating.

I also really love Reese's peanut butter cups and peanut M & M's. Again, poor taste.
My prior manager(a very nice human) used to send boxes of Hershey to his peer in the UK office. It was a lot of fun hearing just how bad Hershey is from the folks over there.

Of course I've eaten tons of it expecially the almond bars.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post

I used to think Hershey's was decent until Belgian chocolate spoiled me. Now Hershey's seems granular, as if its sugar has not dissolved completely.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #31

I prefer Hershey's chocolates to many of the European chocolates that emphasize smoothness and creaminess over intense chocolate flavor. And I'm not at all into the hazelnuts that they seem to like to combine with chocolate. Just too bland. I like intense flavor.

And I like thick Chicago style pizza better than thin crispy Italian style pizza too. It's just a matter of taste, and a lot of that just stems from what you're used to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Every time I go to Trader Joe's, I pick a Ritter Sport Milk & Hazelnut at the checkout. Hey, it's right there and I can't resist.

Good thing I only buy one and the nearest Traders is 20 miles away -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #33

I picked up the chocolate and hazelnut habit in Europe. Along with chocolate and coffee I love the combination. You know who sells great European chocolate bars? Inexpensive and big? Aldi.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not a carob fan. I do purchase carob chips, however, for home made dog biscuits. Recipe: 1/2 C peanut butter, 1/4 C warm water, 1/2 C mashed banana, 1 T honey, 1 egg, 1 3/4 C whole wheat flour, 1/2 C carob chips. Mix first five ingredients. Stir in 1 C of the flour. Stir in the chips. Stir in remaining flour, 1/4 C at a time. Refrigerate dough for 20 minutes, then roll into 1/4 inch slab and cut out cookie shapes. Bake 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Shut off oven, leaving cookies in the oven for a couple of hours.
infoseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Bud Light is to beer as Velveeta is to cheese.
I've been buying this generic store brand velveeta from Kroger. The white cheese with Jalapenos in it. Very delicious on tacos and as a cheese dip.

Also like the finer cheeses too (brie, gorgonzola, blue cheese, gouda, havarti, fontina, etc).

As for chocolate, I've found the Schogetten chocolates at Aldi to be the best bang for the buck. I think they are still a buck for what would be marketed as a king size candy bar 3.5 oz / 100g. Instead of waxy chocolate-ish candy from Hersheys or similar, it's actually real chocolate.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Marita, I recommend buying a Trader Joe's three-pack of both dark and milk chocolate bars (made in Belgium). Take a bite of dark and milk choc at the same time. Very nice. And cheap for good quality choco, something like $1.89 for a three-pack. They devilishly place them conveniently at the check-out counter display!
Chuck
The 3-packs are $1.79 here in Northern California. The dark one with almonds is my daily staple, along with a cuppa joe or tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
My prior manager(a very nice human) used to send boxes of Hershey to his peer in the UK office. It was a lot of fun hearing just how bad Hershey is from the folks over there.
Hersheys has never tasted very good to me. It's been so long since I ate it that I cannot remember enough to describe the taste, just that it struck me as not tasting very much like actual chocolate.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Need to try TJ dark chocolate peanut butter cups. There the best! Especially cold.
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

TJ Dark Chocolate covered Espresso Beans are good, too.
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #39

I fell for that carob is as good as chocolate once about 30 years ago. Never again!
Old 05-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasset View Post
Need to try TJ dark chocolate peanut butter cups. There the best! Especially cold.

Agree but I can't buy them anymore as I eat all of them within a day!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Daniel J is offline   Reply With Quote