Join Early Retirement Today

chocolate
Old 05-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

chocolate

I'm sorry if this offends any of you, but I just gotta say that a carob absolutely is not a substitute for chocolate! Period....end of discussion!
chuck
cbo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right up there with decaf and near-beer...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #3

Along the lines of a favorite saying among craft beer drinkers:

Bud Light is to beer as Velveeta is to cheese.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've never had any, unless I didn't know....but:

Quote:
1 ounce of carob powder has about 100 calories, which is about 1/4 cup in measure. This amount has about 10 grams of fiber and .18 grams (virtually none) of fat. It also contains B vitamins, magnesium, iron, manganese, chromium, and copper. It takes 2 medium/large dry carob pods to make 1 ounce in weight.
It's actually health food!
Old 05-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tried it in my hippy dippy days; terrible stuff. Right up there with powdered milk and tofu in my book.

Chocolate is my downfall. I have been trying to move to dark chocolate for its health benefits (truly, it has some) but can't give up milk chocolate.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I LOVE chocolate! Cookies, cake, candy bars, pudding, sponge candy, oreos, donuts, frosting, ice cream, milk shakes -- all are best with chocolate.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I tried it in my hippy dippy days; terrible stuff. Right up there with powdered milk and tofu in my book.

Chocolate is my downfall. I have been trying to move to dark chocolate for its health benefits (truly, it has some) but can't give up milk chocolate.
Marita, I recommend buying a Trader Joe's three-pack of both dark and milk chocolate bars (made in Belgium). Take a bite of dark and milk choc at the same time. Very nice. And cheap for good quality choco, something like $1.89 for a three-pack. They devilishly place them conveniently at the check-out counter display!
Chuck
cbo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Marita, I recommend buying a Trader Joe's three-pack of both dark and milk chocolate bars (made in Belgium). Take a bite of dark and milk choc at the same time. Very nice. And cheap for good quality choco, something like $1.89 for a three-pack. They devilishly place them conveniently at the check-out counter display!
Chuck
+1 I buy all my chocolate at TJ. Good quality and at a good price.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I love chocolate. Carob just doesn't do it for me, either.

Heaven forbid, but if I ever learn that I am dying, I'll run right out and buy 10 pounds of the very best dark chocolate I can find. Then I'll eat every bit of it and go buy more. I especially love Belgian chocolate.

Barring such dire circumstances, I have to avoid it whenever possible in order to avoid weight gain.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Chuck
Why get that when you can get the TJ's pounder for $5? Portability?
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #11
Administrator

This is the very best chocolate in the world.

https://www.tazachocolate.com/
Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Why get that when you can get the TJ's pounder for $5? Portability?
You buy the smaller bars to convince yourself you are only going to eat a little bit of it. When the checker recognizes you on your third trip to TJ's in a week, you give in and buy the large $5.00 bar.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
You buy the smaller bars to convince yourself you are only going to eat a little bit of it. When the checker recognizes you on your third trip to TJ's in a week, you give in and buy the large $5.00 bar.
LOL! Too funny!
Old 05-05-2016, 04:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Carob has its own interesting flavor, and I wouldn't throw away a carob cookie that somebody gave me. But I'd never confuse it with a chocolate cookie.

Pretending that carob can stand in for chocolate is like calling vegan cheese [made from nuts; tastes OK on crackers] "cheese." Why not just call it what it is, and eat it for its own flavor.

Quote:
I'm sorry if this offends any of you, but I just gotta say that a carob absolutely is not a substitute for chocolate! Period....end of discussion!
chuck
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

+1 Milk chocolate barely makes it for me. Dark all the way baby! For the best dark truffle I have ever found, try Holl's from Vienna WV, Holls.com
Old 05-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Dark all the way baby!
+1. Nibbling on some intensely dark chocolate while sipping my Maker's Mark. Yum.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm on a daily dose of "chocolate" for the next four years - unless I'm getting the placebo...

COcoa Supplement and Multivitamin Outcomes Study (COSMOS)

Quote:
COSMOS is a new clinical trial that will include 18,000 men and women across the country, and will investigate the long-term effects of a cocoa extract and a multivitamin on cardiovascular disease and cancer.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #18

I've been making chocolate for the past few years. I buy the beans on my trips to various islands, and then roast, hull, and grind them at home. I broke down and bought a mechanized stone grinder about a year ago, as it's a lot of work to grind chocolate and sugar by hand (literally rubbing stones together). So I've experimented with a lot of different recipes, and gotten a lot of feedback from family, friends, co-workers, and my tennis group. The bottom line is that everyone has their own tastes in chocolate. Everyone seems to appreciate chocolate that's made with just the "real" ingredients (cacao, sugar, milk solids), but there are those that like the bitter, tongue-smacking 80% extra-dark, and there are those that like the smoother, sweeter 50% milk chocolate. And everything in between. I've just had to get used to comments like "This is good, but why don't you make more like the one last month." Every time I take a batch to work, somebody says that to me. Regardless of the recipe, someone always likes some other type of chocolate better!

Me, I like something like a 55-60% milk chocolate best...still pretty deep, slightly bitter taste, but with the flavor smoothed out a little by the milk solids.
scrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
I've been making chocolate for the past few years. I buy the beans on my trips to various islands, and then roast, hull, and grind them at home. I broke down and bought a mechanized stone grinder about a year ago, as it's a lot of work to grind chocolate and sugar by hand (literally rubbing stones together). So I've experimented with a lot of different recipes, and gotten a lot of feedback from family, friends, co-workers, and my tennis group. The bottom line is that everyone has their own tastes in chocolate. Everyone seems to appreciate chocolate that's made with just the "real" ingredients (cacao, sugar, milk solids), but there are those that like the bitter, tongue-smacking 80% extra-dark, and there are those that like the smoother, sweeter 50% milk chocolate. And everything in between. I've just had to get used to comments like "This is good, but why don't you make more like the one last month." Every time I take a batch to work, somebody says that to me. Regardless of the recipe, someone always likes some other type of chocolate better!

Me, I like something like a 55-60% milk chocolate best...still pretty deep, slightly bitter taste, but with the flavor smoothed out a little by the milk solids.
Wow, that is cool!!
Old 05-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I agree that everyone has their favorite chocolate.

I love chocolate - I always have, and I eat a little bit almost every day. I used to be a TJ bitter chocolate (72%) person (cheap and good), but now that I live in Canada (no TJ's here), I eat 72% tiny little chocolate bars in a huge bag (1300g) by Swiss Delice that's sold at Costco, and this definitely tastes better than TJ's. Some bitter chocolate has a strong burned taste to it, but this has just the right amount (more bitter than burned - the way it should be) and it is so smooth.

Really cheap chocolate (which can be sold for a high price sometimes) to me tastes like crayons. I don't know how I know the *taste* of crayons - Maybe from my younger days? It tastes so bad to me that I refuse to swallow it (I have to spit it out.)

The best chocolate, bar none, to me, is Teuscher. I used to get it in downtown SF. I have to qualify myself - I've never had their chocolate bars - I just like one thing there - dark champagne truffles. If you ever go there or find the store elsewhere or order oneline, I recommend you try their dark champagne truffle. (It cost something like $3.50 for one tiny truffle though), but it's the best ever. OK, like scrinch says, everyone has their favorite, so YMMV.