Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This past December I went to a new primary care doctor (we had moved a couple of years before and never found one). I was nervous he would recommend a statin. I had had been on statins in my late 40s and they actually did have a dramatic effect on my cholesterol levels and no known side effects, but I was hoping not to have to do anything. I had watched what I ate very carefully that year (I had a slightly high A1C at the end of 2014 which had startled me). I ate lowish carb using a meter to figure out what foods bothered me. I also continued the weight loss I had been working on for awhile.

But in late 2014 I still had a total cholesterol number that was a little high (225) and LDL was a little high (151) so I expected to need to argue on statins.

As it turned out before even seeing my 2015 labs he felt that I didn't need a statin. My triglycerides at the end of 2014 were 104 and HDL was was 52 and he felt that under current guidelines I didn't need a statin.

And, as it turned out after we did 2015 lab work things were better - total was 202, triglycerides were 69 (surely due to the lowish carb eating), LDL was 136 and HDL was 52.

But it was a relief to not need to argue with him about it. (I am not saying that statins aren't right for some people, just didn't think I needed them).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just curious. Is there any evidence that show that lowering cholesterol with a statin will increase a person's life span (including all causes of death) for a person who is not diagnosed with CVD?

I saw an ad for a well known statin a few nights ago. A guy is joyous because his LDL and total cholesterol is low due to his statin. But, nowhere does the happy fellow mention that he will actually live longer or have a better quality of life. ?

Old 05-31-2016, 06:02 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

I saw a doctor about 5 or 6 years ago and she was so focused on my LDL number to the exclusion of everything else that I couldn't believe it. I tried to discuss my very low triglycerides and very high HDL, but her eyes glazed over and she suddenly had to get to her next appointment.

LDL is simple, quick and easy to fix with a pill. Whether it has any relevance on its own for those without other risk factors is unknown.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:28 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
LDL is simple, quick and easy to fix with a pill. Whether it has any relevance on its own for those without other risk factors is unknown.
I think there is evidence for the association between LDL and heart disease. See for example this risk calculator based on the Framingham Heart Study. It shows the strong associations between future heart disease (hard CHD, e.g., heart attack) and LDL, among several very common risk factors. https://www.framinghamheartstudy.org...-year-risk.php. Fortunately, high HDL helps to decrease risk somewhat, but it doesn't fully offset the effect of high LDL.

The basic problem is that the effect is small--you could double your 10 year CHD risk from having high LDL, but that might only be an absolute increase in risk from 2% to 4% over that 10 year period. On the other hand, the longer you hope to live, the more relevant those risk factors beccome. Plus, this is only for 'hard' CHD. For myself, I hope to avoid even mild CHD...
Old 05-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
For what I read what you eat has nothing to do with cholesterol. It's different for different people.

Just read in paper today in daily Dr. Keith Roach column he wrote "the consensus of most experts is that dietary cholesterol has little or no effect on development of heart disease".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Just read in paper today in daily Dr. Keith Roach column he wrote "the consensus of most experts is that dietary cholesterol has little or no effect on development of heart disease".
Yes, you want low blood cholesterol, not necessarily low dietary cholesterol. It seems to me that this is a fine point that gets lost in the discussions. Some people, I assume, can eat all the eggs they want and still have low blood cholesterol. Lucky people!
Old 06-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #87
Confused about dryer sheets

Do your homework before falling for cholesterol and heart disease lines. It has been known for decades that this supposed causation is dishonest. Why did the original Framingham study have to hide its data? (look for Dr. Eades' Framingham follies article). Why do objective studies continue to replicate those results? Why did Ancel Keys have to select pieces of his data to make the case for saturated fat/heart disease connection? Why is the number needed to treat for statins 100----and that is 100 reported by Pfizer. The true number is north of 250. Think about it!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augeor View Post
Do your homework before falling for cholesterol and heart disease lines. It has been known for decades that this supposed causation is dishonest. Why did the original Framingham study have to hide its data? (look for Dr. Eades' Framingham follies article). Why do objective studies continue to replicate those results? Why did Ancel Keys have to select pieces of his data to make the case for saturated fat/heart disease connection? Why is the number needed to treat for statins 100----and that is 100 reported by Pfizer. The true number is north of 250. Think about it!
Welcome to the forum, Augeor. If you have issues with some of the thoughts expressed in this thread, perhaps you can share your views and give us specific links and sources.

While you're at it, why not stop by and introduce yourself, here Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Old 06-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Just curious. Is there any evidence that show that lowering cholesterol with a statin will increase a person's life span (including all causes of death) for a person who is not diagnosed with CVD?

I saw an ad for a well known statin a few nights ago. A guy is joyous because his LDL and total cholesterol is low due to his statin. But, nowhere does the happy fellow mention that he will actually live longer or have a better quality of life. ?
What I had heard/read was that there was an inflammation lowering effect (nothing to do with cholesterol levels) that had a slightly positive effect. There was nothing suggesting that the CVD was better or worse, but there was a small effect. And I think it said something about how other inflammation lowering techniques were more powerful and had fewer side effects. None of the statin manufacturers are going to do the study of who lives longer, statin taker or baby aspirin taker, but my bet would be baby aspirin taker.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:46 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

According to Statins for Heart Disease Prevention (Without Prior Heart Disease) | theNNT "We feel comfortable that either there is no true mortality benefit in patients without CAD [in taking statins], or that the benefit is too small to be universally agreed upon."
Old 06-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyEccentric View Post
According to Statins for Heart Disease Prevention (Without Prior Heart Disease) | theNNT "We feel comfortable that either there is no true mortality benefit in patients without CAD [in taking statins], or that the benefit is too small to be universally agreed upon."
Thanks for enlightening me to the existence of that site. Makes visiting ER for the day (or the week) worthwhile!