Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: northern Michigan
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Actually, the China study has been thoroughly discredited so many times it is no longer even mentioned seriously in most places.

A quick web search for terms like "china study debunked" will yield a plethora of references.
+1.

If you really want to learn about cholesterol, how it works in the body, and why the "war on cholesterol" by the traditional medical establishment is a bunch of hogwash, check out Chris Masterjohn's excellent website:

Cholesterol - You Can't Live Without It!
__________________

__________________
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Cutting down/out on bread and pasta is probably a good idea, but to the extent you need starches (hint: how active you are), potatoes and rice are relatively good starches, and potatoes are rich in nutrients.

Avoiding animal fat by consuming seed oils, sweetener-loaded frankenfoods, and fat-free "cereal" (really?) is patently absurd. But a reasonably healthy and active human could likely survive the occasional bowl of Cocoa Puffs.
__________________

__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Cutting down/out on bread and pasta is probably a good idea, but to the extent you need starches (hint: how active you are), potatoes and rice are relatively good starches, and potatoes are rich in nutrients.
I average 500 kc/day and up in exercise activities, and I have not eaten any starches in years. I don't think they are needed at all, but if I could process them well I might eat some as they are tasty as vehicles for sauces and butter. How I used to love cod baked with potatoes and onions and butter! Now I skip the potatoes, but potatoes do a very good job of grabbing juices.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I average 500 kc/day and up in exercise activities, and I have not eaten any starches in years. I don't think they are needed at all, but if I could process them well I might eat some as they are tasty as vehicles for sauces and butter. How I used to love cod baked with potatoes and onions and butter! Now I skip the potatoes, but potatoes do a very good job of grabbing juices.

Ha
According to my "research", heh, some folks bonk on too low carbs, and add some back to their diets. But some of these anecdotes are from folks on crossfit, or bodybuilders.
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Following the nice weather
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
According to my "research", heh, some folks bonk on too low carbs, and add some back to their diets. But some of these anecdotes are from folks on crossfit, or bodybuilders.
Dammit, I just can't keep up with all the medical terminology these days. LDL, ACTH, BUN, Bonk. It's too much for me.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers, or maybe Sam Clemens
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I average 500 kc/day and up in exercise activities, and I have not eaten any starches in years. I don't think they are needed at all, but if I could process them well I might eat some as they are tasty as vehicles for sauces and butter. How I used to love cod baked with potatoes and onions and butter! Now I skip the potatoes, but potatoes do a very good job of grabbing juices.

Ha
I've almost eliminated wheat bread from my diet and try to cut back on carbs in general. But so many of the veggies I love are high in carb / starch content: carrots, beets, parsnips, even peas are pretty high carb but I still eat a fair amount of these veggies, and the peas I'm picking in my garden right now are soooo good! When you say you haven't eaten any starches in years do you mean the just the big ticket items like bread, pasta, potatoes - or do you also avoid veggies like carrots, peas, etc?

Eating never used to seem this hard!
__________________
JoeDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Harrogate, UK
Posts: 864
I've always seemed to be a carb person. I used to run a lot....still exercise a fair amount.....I just eat too much crap and drink too much beer. I tried the Atkins twice about 10 years ago.....you could have just stuck a fork in me and declared me dead....I was a walking zombie after about 3 days. There was just no way I could go through the day feeling that bad. I usually just need to cut down on the junk food/beer and I lose weight. Seems like there were a few studies that came out 5+ years ago with a way to test to see which diet works better for you. I was only a little high on the cholesterol levels.....so hopefully just cutting out chips (almost every day)....extra cheese.....and cut my ice cream in half will do the trick.
__________________
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I've almost eliminated wheat bread from my diet and try to cut back on carbs in general. But so many of the veggies I love are high in carb / starch content: carrots, beets, parsnips, even peas are pretty high carb but I still eat a fair amount of these veggies, and the peas I'm picking in my garden right now are soooo good! When you say you haven't eaten any starches in years do you mean the just the big ticket items like bread, pasta, potatoes - or do you also avoid veggies like carrots, peas, etc?

Eating never used to seem this hard!
Joe, your killing me! No pasta, bread, wheat, or potatoes allowed..Even the "nutritious nasty tasting" food of carrots, beets, and peas could be heading for the chopping block. What is left to eat? I have done myself good to about eliminate french fries and potato chips from my diet, but you will have to grab my pasta and potatoes from my cold dead heads.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #69
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Joe, your killing me! No pasta, bread, wheat, or potatoes allowed..Even the "nutritious nasty tasting" food of carrots, beets, and peas could be heading for the chopping block. What is left to eat? I have done myself good to about eliminate french fries and potato chips from my diet, but you will have to grab my pasta and potatoes from my cold dead heads.
As long as I can drink my meds I can deal with the food restrictions...
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I've almost eliminated wheat bread from my diet and try to cut back on carbs in general. But so many of the veggies I love are high in carb / starch content: carrots, beets, parsnips, even peas are pretty high carb but I still eat a fair amount of these veggies, and the peas I'm picking in my garden right now are soooo good! When you say you haven't eaten any starches in years do you mean the just the big ticket items like bread, pasta, potatoes - or do you also avoid veggies like carrots, peas, etc?

Eating never used to seem this hard!
Joe, I would never recommend my diet-I started it because of suspiciously high blood sugars. And you are right, roots like carrots and beets are high carb-after all, they are called sugar beets, right? But things that work for me, I tend to take to the mat, and I found I had to go deeper with the axe than bread, pasta and beans. I may have fresh peas once or twice a year, usually when I buy an expensive bunch of lamb chops. A few carrots from time to time, and beets? only when I go to Whole Foods or some Russian Deli and get fermented beets which I treat like some people treat a hot fudge sundae.

It isn't easy to do this, but it is not particularly hard either. For me, once I get clear on how I rank attractive foods, activities, social feedback, health- my behaviors tend to follow accordingly. And then various forms of feedback help reinforce the habits.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Harrogate, UK
Posts: 864
Just got back from walking the dog in the park......just caught the end of a talk on NPR in the car about something they have coming out that will reduce cholesterol better than the Lipitor type drugs and might not zap the people who react badly to statins.....just caught the end so I don't know what it was. They seemed to think it would be on the market in about 2 years.
__________________
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,328
This study on statins and diabetes will toss a little more gasoline on the fire.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22845189

Note, that it ends with a recommendation for further study to confirm the association.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
This study on statins and diabetes will toss a little more gasoline on the fire.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22845189

Note, that it ends with a recommendation for further study to confirm the association.
Ah, come on, almost every study ends with a recommendation for further study.
__________________

__________________
redduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.