Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Actually, the China study has been thoroughly discredited so many times it is no longer even mentioned seriously in most places.

A quick web search for terms like "china study debunked" will yield a plethora of references.
+1.

If you really want to learn about cholesterol, how it works in the body, and why the "war on cholesterol" by the traditional medical establishment is a bunch of hogwash, check out Chris Masterjohn's excellent website:

Cholesterol - You Can't Live Without It!
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cutting down/out on bread and pasta is probably a good idea, but to the extent you need starches (hint: how active you are), potatoes and rice are relatively good starches, and potatoes are rich in nutrients.

Avoiding animal fat by consuming seed oils, sweetener-loaded frankenfoods, and fat-free "cereal" (really?) is patently absurd. But a reasonably healthy and active human could likely survive the occasional bowl of Cocoa Puffs.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Cutting down/out on bread and pasta is probably a good idea, but to the extent you need starches (hint: how active you are), potatoes and rice are relatively good starches, and potatoes are rich in nutrients.
I average 500 kc/day and up in exercise activities, and I have not eaten any starches in years. I don't think they are needed at all, but if I could process them well I might eat some as they are tasty as vehicles for sauces and butter. How I used to love cod baked with potatoes and onions and butter! Now I skip the potatoes, but potatoes do a very good job of grabbing juices.

Ha
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I average 500 kc/day and up in exercise activities, and I have not eaten any starches in years. I don't think they are needed at all, but if I could process them well I might eat some as they are tasty as vehicles for sauces and butter. How I used to love cod baked with potatoes and onions and butter! Now I skip the potatoes, but potatoes do a very good job of grabbing juices.

Ha
According to my "research", heh, some folks bonk on too low carbs, and add some back to their diets. But some of these anecdotes are from folks on crossfit, or bodybuilders.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
According to my "research", heh, some folks bonk on too low carbs, and add some back to their diets. But some of these anecdotes are from folks on crossfit, or bodybuilders.
Dammit, I just can't keep up with all the medical terminology these days. LDL, ACTH, BUN, Bonk. It's too much for me.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I've almost eliminated wheat bread from my diet and try to cut back on carbs in general. But so many of the veggies I love are high in carb / starch content: carrots, beets, parsnips, even peas are pretty high carb but I still eat a fair amount of these veggies, and the peas I'm picking in my garden right now are soooo good! When you say you haven't eaten any starches in years do you mean the just the big ticket items like bread, pasta, potatoes - or do you also avoid veggies like carrots, peas, etc?

Eating never used to seem this hard!
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #67

I've always seemed to be a carb person. I used to run a lot....still exercise a fair amount.....I just eat too much crap and drink too much beer. I tried the Atkins twice about 10 years ago.....you could have just stuck a fork in me and declared me dead....I was a walking zombie after about 3 days. There was just no way I could go through the day feeling that bad. I usually just need to cut down on the junk food/beer and I lose weight. Seems like there were a few studies that came out 5+ years ago with a way to test to see which diet works better for you. I was only a little high on the cholesterol levels.....so hopefully just cutting out chips (almost every day)....extra cheese.....and cut my ice cream in half will do the trick.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I've almost eliminated wheat bread from my diet and try to cut back on carbs in general. But so many of the veggies I love are high in carb / starch content: carrots, beets, parsnips, even peas are pretty high carb but I still eat a fair amount of these veggies, and the peas I'm picking in my garden right now are soooo good! When you say you haven't eaten any starches in years do you mean the just the big ticket items like bread, pasta, potatoes - or do you also avoid veggies like carrots, peas, etc?

Joe, your killing me! No pasta, bread, wheat, or potatoes allowed..Even the "nutritious nasty tasting" food of carrots, beets, and peas could be heading for the chopping block. What is left to eat? I have done myself good to about eliminate french fries and potato chips from my diet, but you will have to grab my pasta and potatoes from my cold dead heads.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Joe, your killing me! No pasta, bread, wheat, or potatoes allowed..Even the "nutritious nasty tasting" food of carrots, beets, and peas could be heading for the chopping block. What is left to eat? I have done myself good to about eliminate french fries and potato chips from my diet, but you will have to grab my pasta and potatoes from my cold dead heads.
As long as I can drink my meds I can deal with the food restrictions...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post

Joe, I would never recommend my diet-I started it because of suspiciously high blood sugars. And you are right, roots like carrots and beets are high carb-after all, they are called sugar beets, right? But things that work for me, I tend to take to the mat, and I found I had to go deeper with the axe than bread, pasta and beans. I may have fresh peas once or twice a year, usually when I buy an expensive bunch of lamb chops. A few carrots from time to time, and beets? only when I go to Whole Foods or some Russian Deli and get fermented beets which I treat like some people treat a hot fudge sundae.

It isn't easy to do this, but it is not particularly hard either. For me, once I get clear on how I rank attractive foods, activities, social feedback, health- my behaviors tend to follow accordingly. And then various forms of feedback help reinforce the habits.

Ha
Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #71

Just got back from walking the dog in the park......just caught the end of a talk on NPR in the car about something they have coming out that will reduce cholesterol better than the Lipitor type drugs and might not zap the people who react badly to statins.....just caught the end so I don't know what it was. They seemed to think it would be on the market in about 2 years.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

This study on statins and diabetes will toss a little more gasoline on the fire.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22845189

Note, that it ends with a recommendation for further study to confirm the association.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
This study on statins and diabetes will toss a little more gasoline on the fire.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22845189

Note, that it ends with a recommendation for further study to confirm the association.
Ah, come on, almost every study ends with a recommendation for further study.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote