Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
12 years no health insurance.

The dog pee'd on my Passport.

As time has marched on - now over age 65 and time in the market via balanced index funds allows Medicare supplemental insurance.

Interesting thread.

heh heh heh - you do know that after George Washington put down the Whisky Rebellion and the non taxpayers fled Pennsylvania to Kentucky - it took a while to get NASCAR respectible with legit drivers. .

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Perhaps if the government took reasonable steps to implement programs that have the effect of reigning in the costs of health care it would be much more affordable for people to buy. Perhaps if they took that approach and were moderately successful more people would be supportive of legislation that looks to have a component that could lead to the complete take over of the health care system by the government. Perhaps if the government didn't make it illegal for people to not spend their money more people would support changes.

You don't want to work. You want to live like a king, but the big bad world don't owe you a thing. Get over it--The Eagles
lets-retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
For me, the main medical risk is being hit by a bus or cab, or falling off my bike. But even if I bought a policy, there are no guarantees that the insurance company would pay, that it wouldn't try to weasel out of the obligation.
This is my main fear now that I'm looking into buying an individual health insurance policy. I wonder what exactly I'm paying for and whether the insurance company will actually stand up to a large claim when the time comes. Unfortunately, there is no way to know in advance. That is a huge problem in my view.

So what good is insurance you can't be sure will pay a big claim? How much should I be willing to pay for that insurance?

Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote