Join Early Retirement Today

Chronic fatigue syndrome
Old 03-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chronic fatigue syndrome

One of my friends has recently been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. There is a consensus in the literature that this is a real entity, occurs in approximately 4 per 1000 people, and is distinct from other diseases. Unfortunately, despite a ton of research, a specific cause has not been found, no specific treatment seems to help and most people apparently don't recover.

This is all very depressing. My friend has been unable to work for months. She certainly has many potential stresses in her life. I'm at a loss as to what I can do to support her, apart from chicken soup and kibbutzing.

Has anyone had ***, or dealt with it in a friend or family member?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

The CFIDS Association of America

Patient Ed:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: How to Help Yourself - March 15, 2002 - American Academy of Family Physicians

American Acad of Family Physician's medical article:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Evaluation and Treatment - March 15, 2002 - American Family Physician
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
One of my friends has recently been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome. There is a consensus in the literature that this is a real entity, occurs in approximately 4 per 1000 people, and is distinct from other diseases. Unfortunately, despite a ton of research, a specific cause has not been found, no specific treatment seems to help and most people apparently don't recover.
Is the diagnosis solely clinical, or is there a consistent configuration of Lab results?

Ha
Old 03-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any chance she has Lyme disease? Any other weird (sometimes come-and-go) symptoms?
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A buddy of mine was diagnosed with *** in college. He just rested for a few months and was back in the saddle and did fine after that. That has been over 20 years ago though, and I haven't really kept up with him, so I don't know how he is doing today. I don't know if the diagnostics for *** have changed either, over that period of time. At the time, I believe it was still a rather new diagnosis/disease/whatever we call it.
R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #6

My sister has CFIDS. She's been diagnosed for oh, I'd say maybe 15 years or so now. It certainly is a disabling disease. She no longer works and is on disability.

One thing that the doctors recently discovered is she also has severe sleep apnea. Since she has been on a bi-pap (sp?) machine, her energy level has changed significantly. She still is very tired but nothing like she was. It's like she's a new person. I would definitely have your friend get a sleep study done, if appropriate in her case.

I would also suggest she join a CFID support group on-line.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

My sister has a friend with chronic fatigue. For her the severity seems to come and go. When she is in a bad spot just having my sister around to be entertaining and take her mind off her illness is helpful.

So, be a friend and spend time with her not talking about illness but about other things.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a good friend that was diagnosed with *** and fibromyalgia. She is able to still work but she cannot exercise or do anything too strenuous or it wipes her out for the next few days. Gentle yoga and mild pilates are about the best exercise for her. She has tried massage, acupuncture and other types of treatments, but cannot any longer due to cut backs in her health plan. One doctor told her that her adrenal gland was shot and that was why she lacked energy.
I really feel for her - I don't know what I would do if I couldn't have an active life.
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote