Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Part 22 – Laughing in the face of stairs
Old 09-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Part 22 – Laughing in the face of stairs

11 weeks since surgery.

I am at about 115 degrees of flexion and seem to be very slowly picking up a degree every few weeks. I am working hard to get at least 10 more degrees, but it is tough. I’ve never been very flexible. Swelling is still present but it is way down. The morning stiffness in the knee joint seems to be a thing of the past. The surgical knee still runs warm to the touch. Thankfully, the ice water cooling machine is getting a much-deserved rest.

I can now carry things up and down stairs without much of a problem and I can do it using the railing if I must. But 95% of the times I still use the railing for safety’s sake. And, I will continue to do that the rest of my life. Falling is not an option.

I attended a street fair yesterday. I was on my feet for 2-3 hours at the fair, walking, standing, and stepping over obstacles. No problem at all with the knee joint. I did find the muscles in both legs were sorer than expected at the end of the day. No doubt this is the result of two months of not doing much walking and biking.

I want to try a 2-3 mile hike on dirt trails at the local state park in the next week if the weather cooperates.

There is not much else to report.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paintstairs.jpg (147.5 KB, 34 views)

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #182
Give me a forum ...

What an encouraging report! You are improving so fast, and doing wonderfully. I am really happy for you.

I am doing much better now too as I approach the seven week mark on Tuesday. I am seeing my surgeon for a regular follow-up tomorrow so I'll post more specifics after I hear what he has to say.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am doing much better now too as I approach the seven week mark on Tuesday. .

I found the 8-9 week mark to be a significant turning point in my ability to function more normally. Of course, all of this if very individual. And, I am nowhere near 100% healed.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I found the 8-9 week mark to be a significant turning point in my ability to function more normally. Of course, all of this if very individual. And, I am nowhere near 100% healed.
Great! It's nice to hear that the 8-9 week mark may have some nice surprises in store for me.

And you may not be near 100% healed, but it sounds like you are well "over the hump" and making great progress on your way to 100%.

Part 23 – Free at last!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Part 23 – Free at last!

Part 23 – Free at last!

It’s been three months since the surgery. I saw the doctor and he was very pleased with my progress. My extension is in the area of 0-2 degrees so I have a nice straight leg. My flexion is about 120 degrees and he thinks with a bit more work I can get it to 125 degrees. The better news is that he thinks I can do it on my own. No need for more PT appointments. I had a good therapist and there is not doubt she helped me. But, from here on I should be able to do it myself with some biking and simple knee stretching exercises. Also, he sees no need for more follow up appointments to check on the healing progress. I am so glad to be past these seemingly interminable appointments.

I did a three mile hike up and down hills last week. Yea! I can ride my bike but the knee is still not ready for a long ride of much over a mile. And the knee is still a bit stiff. But, the thick rubber band around the joint feeling is gone. I am thankful for that. The surgical knee still runs warm. At the surface the skin of the surgical knee feels like a warm baby bottle compared to the cool temps of the non surgical knee.

My biggest problem besides getting my biking knee in shape is rebuilding strength in my legs. Two months of doing little took a toll on their physical strength.

Healing is still taking place. I can irritate it if I push it to hard, it needs to bend a bit more, and pedaling my bike still feels like I am stretching it into uncomfortable territory. So I am not ‘healed’ by any means. That will take another nine months or so. On a cellular level, I understand that complete healing takes a full two years!

My bad knee has become my good knee. That is very good indeed.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #186
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow! That's GREAT news, Chuckanut!

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #187

Good for you! I've followed your progress, as we had our knee replacements at about the same time. Sounds like we're at about the same place now.

I used to think I could fry an egg on my new knee, but that heat has decreased drastically. Interesting how that works, isn't it?

I feel like I'm getting my life back.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post

I used to think I could fry an egg on my new knee, but that heat has decreased drastically. Interesting how that works, isn't it?
My knee is more like a food warmer these days. I am back to frying my eggs using a pan on the stove. Also, the color is back to normal, instead of the reddish tint it had for a few months.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #189

Thank you so much for posting about your progress with the new knee. I find all of these TKR threads very interesting since I'm probably going to have one in the future.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #190
Gone but not forgotten

You are doing great !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Bravo!!!

Your improvement in the past few weeks has gone from good to utterly phenomenal! Congratulations.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Great to hear!
Part 24 – Memory Loss!!!!
Old 10-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Part 24 – Memory Loss!!!!

14 weeks since the surgery.

I have discovered a side effect of the surgery – loss of memory. When I got this morning I had a number of things I wanted to get done early today. I set about doing them, toting this, moving that, going up and down the stairs. After about an hour I suddenly realized that I had forgot about my surgical knee. I just didn’t think about it.

Later I was walking, dodging other people's carts at the local Super Market, wondering why some people leave there carts sideways dead center in the aisle when they stop, and why others can't read the sign that says 15 items or less. Loading the car I suddenly remembered my surgical knee. Darn, twice in one day!

Either my mind is going to heck a lot earlier than I had hoped, or the knee is doing rather well.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I have discovered a side effect of the surgery – loss of memory. When I got this morning I had a number of things I wanted to get done early today. I set about doing them, toting this, moving that, going up and down the stairs. After about an hour I suddenly realized that I had forgot about my surgical knee. I just didn’t think about it.

Later I was walking, dodging other people's carts at the local Super Market, wondering why some people leave there carts sideways dead center in the aisle when they stop, and why others can't read the sign that says 15 items or less. Loading the car I suddenly remembered my surgical knee. Darn, twice in one day!

Either my mind is going to heck a lot earlier than I had hoped, or the knee is doing rather well.
Great progress!

After 10 years, 11 1/2 months, I have totally forgotten I have an artificial left hip. Your knee will see the same fate.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #195

I have this too, and I'm at 15 weeks post-op. DH was watching me calculate the tip at a restaurant, which now takes me an eternity. Thinking (and math) is hard.

On the bright side, I am less stressed about all the things I have to do because I can't remember most of them. The collective wisdom of the online knee replacement group I'm in seem to blame it on the anesthesia. It left me with a couple of other issues, so I'll have to agree with them. I just hope it all passes. Scares me to think what I'd be like after knee #2.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #196

Quote:

I think you have the very best kind of memory loss! Congratulations!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Terrific!

Old 10-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Great progress, Chuckanut!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:30 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Congratulations on your knee doing so well. Just don't start jumping off walls or putting extreme pressure on that knee.

My wife is doing great after her knee replacement 16 months ago. But she still misses me pushing her in her wheelchair through airports on our vacations.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to my knee replacement I no longer need to use my coffee cup warmer. I balance the cup on my surgical knee which runs noticeably warmer than my other knee. And it’s always with me.

Tags
knee surgery story