Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
Want to show up in Winterpeg in critical condition expecting a freebee and get pointed to this condition listed on the page you reference: Are You Covered? | Manitoba Health, Healthy Living and Seniors | Province of Manitoba
Now, I don't have a dog in this fight. If you think it will work for you, go for it. BUT, don't complain if something bad happens. You have been warned by two Canucks, one of them a retired physician who might have a clue about our health care system. I suggest you do a bit more research, even if you have to pay for the advice.
I suppose the original poster would argue that he is not new to Manitoba having established residence there. But the problem with that is that if he moves to Asia, then unless he maintains his residence in Manitoba by being there physically at least six months of the year, he loses his Manitoba residency status and thus his eligibility for free healthcare. I agree with you that attempting to game the system and arrive in Canada desperately ill would be extremely foolhardy. Better that he look into the healthcare system of where he intends to live and plan any treatment there.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Point taken regarding the delay in eligibility for health insurance coverage upon arrival in Canada.

But, in truth, that's not the main point. As a Canadian citizen, I would be ultimately able to get health care that covers pre-existing conditions. If needed, I would of course purchase other health insurance until I become eligible for a provincial health insurance plan, whether in Manitoba, Ontario or elsewhere.

The principal goal of a move to Canada would be the ability to get full health insurance coverage (even after a 3-month or 6-month delay) without incurring the downside of losing U.S. SS benefits. Several immediate family members have retired in Canada for precisely this reason, which gives me some confidence that it can work.

The downside for me is that moving to Canada would complicate my financial life due to the combination of Canadian investment regulations and the tax policies of both nations. It was the contributors to the Financial Wisdom Forum who indicated that renunciation of U.S. citizenship was a far superior option to incurring the onerous taxation that would result from moving to Canada with a low seven figure nest egg.

The suggestion from the FWF brings up the last point: the status of U.S. Social Security benefits in the event of the proposed renunciation. Though I have not researched the matter in extreme detail, the document at the link below supports the notion that SS benefits should be available to a former citizen, though as usual, there are exceptions, and exceptions to the exceptions.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

My mother is a former U.S. permanent resident, current Canadian citizen, has no visa status in the U.S. at all (a non-resident alien, I guess), but nevertheless receives U.S. SS benefits while living in downtown Toronto.

My main concern is directed to preserving U.S. SS benefits while becoming eligible for the Canadian/(province-of-choice) health plan. The issue of how quickly one becomes eligible for a provincial health plan is significant, but not the main point.

I have no intention of making this decision lightly or soon, and will seek extensive legal input before moving to Canada.

Thanks to all who contributed.
lawman3966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
I beleive you will lose all SS benefits if you renounce US citizenship. See "SPOTLIGHT ON SSI BENEFITS FOR ALIENS -- 2015 Edition"
SSI Spotlight on SSI Benefits for Aliens
To be eligible for SS you must be a qualified alien. To be a qualified alien you must fall in 1 of 7 tests. An ex-citizen would not meet any of them:
  1. Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence (LAPR) in the U.S., which includes "Amerasian immigrant" as defined in P.L. 100-202, with a class of admission AM-1 through AM-8;
  2. Granted conditional entry under Section 203(a)(7) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) as in effect before April 1, 1980;
  3. Paroled into the U.S. under Section 212(d)(5) of the INA for a period of at least one year;
  4. Refugee admitted to the U.S. under Section 207 of the INA;
  5. Granted asylum under Section 208 of the INA;
  6. Deportation is being withheld under Section 243(h) of the INA, as in effect before April 1, 1997; or removal is being withheld under Section 241(b)(3) of the INA;
  7. "Cuban and Haitian entrant" as defined in Section 501(e) of the Refugee Education Assistance Act of 1980 or in a status that is to be treated as a "Cuban/ Haitian entrant" for SSI purposes.
To set the record straight, SSI is not the same thing as Social Security Old Age Retirement benefits. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is more akin to welfare designed for the low income folks.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe there are treates between US & Canada on SS. Last time I checked, you can receive the larger of the 2 but not both. e.g. I'm entitled to both Canadian & US benefit at 66 but I will take the US because it's larger.

If you're entitled to US SS, because you've paid into it, you won't lose it if you renounce citizenship. I don't believe the US expressly punishes people for renouncing, but you'll come under the laws for non-citizens.

The main problem with Canadian health care is that you have to be a resident and therefore also taxable in Canada.

Also check my thread here,
Free_at_49 is offline   Reply With Quote