Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Clinton on the Affordable Care Act
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Clinton on the Affordable Care Act

Former President Clinton gave a speech in Arkansas yesterday, in an attempt to explain the healthcare Affodable Care Act.
Though the networks mentioned it, there was no broadcast of the speech, except on MNBC, which broadast only the first five minutes, and then cut to a discussion by critics.
I was disappointed because I didn't understand much about the specifics of the plan, and was hoping to hear about the details.
Checking the news, I couldn't find a anything but small mentions, and/or controversial comments.
Here is a transcript of the Clinton remarks. Politics aside, I found them worthwhile, and am left with a better understanding of the basics.

Clinton Foundation — President Clinton's Remarks on Health Care Policy and the Affordable Care Act
__________________

__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,424
If you want to learn about the PPACA, the Kaiser Family Foundation website is the place to go. It has all the details, great summaries and presentations, many briefs and white papers, an excellent timeline, and none of the politics. Health Reform | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If you want to learn about the PPACA, the Kaiser Family Foundation website is the place to go. It has all the details, great summaries and presentations, many briefs and white papers, an excellent timeline, and none of the politics. Health Reform | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
+1. Worth watching the video.
__________________
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If you want to learn about the PPACA, the Kaiser Family Foundation website is the place to go. It has all the details, great summaries and presentations, many briefs and white papers, an excellent timeline, and none of the politics. Health Reform | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
+1000

I especially appreciate the objective analyses and the lack of spin or political commentary.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Here's an interesting analysis of major foundations with regard to political bent.
Helps in considering the validity of think tank analyses.
As Michael inferred, Kaiser is considered centrist.

Top Think Tanks Cited by the U.S. Media Changes: A Shifting Bias? | Suite101
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Former President Clinton gave a speech in Arkansas yesterday, in an attempt to explain the healthcare Affodable Care Act.
Though the networks mentioned it, there was no broadcast of the speech, except on MNBC, which broadast only the first five minutes, and then cut to a discussion by critics.
I was disappointed because I didn't understand much about the specifics of the plan, and was hoping to hear about the details.
Checking the news, I couldn't find a anything but small mentions, and/or controversial comments.
Here is a transcript of the Clinton remarks. Politics aside, I found them worthwhile, and am left with a better understanding of the basics.

Clinton Foundation — President Clinton's Remarks on Health Care Policy and the Affordable Care Act
imoldernu, I was kind of surprised to see that you are so interested in Obamacare since you should not be affected. I am also interested, but only to what is happening with the overall plan and not the affect
on me. Please tell me if I am wrong, but I understand that if one is on Medicare, they should not be affected. It might be that for all those on Medicare their Supplemental plans and Advantage plans may have copays and deductibles that increase in cost. Other than that, Medicare participants should not be concerned. Please tell me if I am correct in my view of on the subject.
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Here's an interesting analysis of major foundations with regard to political bent.
Helps in considering the validity of think tank analyses.
As Michael inferred, Kaiser is considered centrist.

Top Think Tanks Cited by the U.S. Media Changes: A Shifting Bias? | Suite101
But, this appraisal of the politics of the various think-tanks was performed by "Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting", a self-described "progressive group.". That may skew their "grades" various think tanks--what they see as "centrist" may very well be "liberal" to another observer. And, while I appreciate the analysis and reporting by the Kaiser Family Foundation, I can see valid reasons for disputing that "centrist" rating for the group. IMO, they, like NPR, provide solid, deep, useful information, but it's not without spin.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Checking the news, I couldn't find a anything but small mentions, and/or controversial comments.
On All Things Considered on NPR yesterday, there was a 4 minute piece which was mostly about Clinton's remarks.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013...bout-obamacare
__________________
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
imoldernu, I was kind of surprised to see that you are so interested in Obamacare since you should not be affected. I am also interested, but only to what is happening with the overall plan and not the affect
on me. Please tell me if I am wrong, but I understand that if one is on Medicare, they should not be affected. It might be that for all those on Medicare their Supplemental plans and Advantage plans may have copays and deductibles that increase in cost. Other than that, Medicare participants should not be concerned. Please tell me if I am correct in my view of on the subject.
Yes... as far as I can see, it won't affect me (or you)... just me, being snoopy. It's going to affect my kids though, and as far as I can see, they don't have a clue.

Actually, I probably shouldn't be voicing opinions on things that don't affect me. It's just a habit that comes from being a fly on the wall of history in the making.

I spend a lot of time between news networks... Fox. MNBC ,PBS, LinkTV, Al Jazeera, CSpan and RT... Each one, a different world.
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Free To Canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cooksburg,PA
Posts: 1,738
Can't really put "politics aside" completely when you are talking about the figurehead for a political party.

Clinton has a real gift for explaining the gist of things like this and is therefore unique and helpful. For others, the flow chart below will have to do.

__________________
Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
As Michael inferred, Kaiser is considered centrist.
No inferences here. I said "not political". KFF advocates healthcare policy. While that may coincide with some partisan view, it is coincidental, not political advocacy.

Health Reform GPS, sponsored by George Washington University, is another web site that is very helpful, especially their white papers that provide explanation and detail on specific PPACA regulation implementation. Health Reform GPS: Navigating the Implementation Process
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
[QUOTE=imoldernu;1355073]Yes... as far as I can see, it won't affect me (or you)... just me, being snoopy. It's going to affect my kids though, and as far as I can see, they don't have a clue.

Understand. Actually, my kids don't have a clue either and it probably won't affect them either. At least for a few years. Daughter is under her hubby's military plan (retired and 100% disability). Son is under city employee union plan. When he retires he will have to buy his own and will then fall under Obamacare. Good luck to him then.
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Marco island
Posts: 813
Plenty of information out there for those that are interested.
__________________
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 620
The first box in the flow chart is "Is employer coverage available?". Taking this literally, anyone who is not presently employed should follow the NO branch. But, this could also be interpreted to mean "Is employer (or former employer) coverage available?", in which case someone covered by a former employer would take the YES branch.

So my question...does anyone know for sure which interpretation is correct?
__________________
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #15
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
The first box in the flow chart is "Is employer coverage available?". Taking this literally, anyone who is not presently employed should follow the NO branch. But, this could also be interpreted to mean "Is employer (or former employer) coverage available?", in which case someone covered by a former employer would take the YES branch.

So my question...does anyone know for sure which interpretation is correct?
The intention is to determine if the applicant is eligible for a subsidy. If any coverage is available that meets PPACA standards and costs less than a certain amount, the subsidy does not apply. They could also just drop the word "employer" altogether but probably leave it because, for the vast majority of people, the only coverage they would be getting would be from their current employer.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
Calico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Can't really put "politics aside" completely when you are talking about the figurehead for a political party.

Clinton has a real gift for explaining the gist of things like this and is therefore unique and helpful. For others, the flow chart below will have to do.

Thank you for posting the helpful chart. May I ask where it came from?
__________________
"Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed, Let it be that great strong land of love, Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme, That any man be crushed by one above." - Langston Hughes
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Thank you for posting the helpful chart. May I ask where it came from?
I agree; that is a really great flowchart. It would make a good addition to the forum FAQ thread on the PPACA.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Free To Canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cooksburg,PA
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Thank you for posting the helpful chart. May I ask where it came from?
I got it from the Kaiser website above.
Visualizing Health Policy: Health Coverage Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

This link takes you to the origin: JAMA website.
JAMA Network | JAMA | Health Coverage Under the Affordable Care Act
__________________
Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.
Calico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post

Thanks for the info and links. I find Kaiser to be one of the most informative sites on PPACA.
__________________
"Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed, Let it be that great strong land of love, Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme, That any man be crushed by one above." - Langston Hughes
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Free To Canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cooksburg,PA
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Thanks for the info and links. I find Kaiser to be one of the most informative sites on PPACA.
You're welcome.
__________________

__________________
Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.