Clinton on the Affordable Care Act

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Former President Clinton gave a speech in Arkansas yesterday, in an attempt to explain the healthcare Affodable Care Act.
Though the networks mentioned it, there was no broadcast of the speech, except on MNBC, which broadast only the first five minutes, and then cut to a discussion by critics.
I was disappointed because I didn't understand much about the specifics of the plan, and was hoping to hear about the details.
Checking the news, I couldn't find a anything but small mentions, and/or controversial comments.
Here is a transcript of the Clinton remarks. Politics aside, I found them worthwhile, and am left with a better understanding of the basics.

Clinton Foundation — President Clinton's Remarks on Health Care Policy and the Affordable Care Act

Last edited:
Former President Clinton gave a speech in Arkansas yesterday, in an attempt to explain the healthcare Affodable Care Act.
Though the networks mentioned it, there was no broadcast of the speech, except on MNBC, which broadast only the first five minutes, and then cut to a discussion by critics.
I was disappointed because I didn't understand much about the specifics of the plan, and was hoping to hear about the details.
Checking the news, I couldn't find a anything but small mentions, and/or controversial comments.
Here is a transcript of the Clinton remarks. Politics aside, I found them worthwhile, and am left with a better understanding of the basics.

Clinton Foundation — President Clinton's Remarks on Health Care Policy and the Affordable Care Act

imoldernu, I was kind of surprised to see that you are so interested in Obamacare since you should not be affected. I am also interested, but only to what is happening with the overall plan and not the affect
on me. Please tell me if I am wrong, but I understand that if one is on Medicare, they should not be affected. It might be that for all those on Medicare their Supplemental plans and Advantage plans may have copays and deductibles that increase in cost. Other than that, Medicare participants should not be concerned. Please tell me if I am correct in my view of on the subject.

Here's an interesting analysis of major foundations with regard to political bent.
Helps in considering the validity of think tank analyses.
As Michael inferred, Kaiser is considered centrist.

Top Think Tanks Cited by the U.S. Media Changes: A Shifting Bias? | Suite101
But, this appraisal of the politics of the various think-tanks was performed by "Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting", a self-described "progressive group.". That may skew their "grades" various think tanks--what they see as "centrist" may very well be "liberal" to another observer. And, while I appreciate the analysis and reporting by the Kaiser Family Foundation, I can see valid reasons for disputing that "centrist" rating for the group. IMO, they, like NPR, provide solid, deep, useful information, but it's not without spin.

imoldernu, I was kind of surprised to see that you are so interested in Obamacare since you should not be affected. I am also interested, but only to what is happening with the overall plan and not the affect
on me. Please tell me if I am wrong, but I understand that if one is on Medicare, they should not be affected. It might be that for all those on Medicare their Supplemental plans and Advantage plans may have copays and deductibles that increase in cost. Other than that, Medicare participants should not be concerned. Please tell me if I am correct in my view of on the subject.

Yes... as far as I can see, it won't affect me (or you)... just me, being snoopy. It's going to affect my kids though, and as far as I can see, they don't have a clue.

Actually, I probably shouldn't be voicing opinions on things that don't affect me. It's just a habit that comes from being a fly on the wall of history in the making.:cool:

I spend a lot of time between news networks... Fox. MNBC ,PBS, LinkTV, Al Jazeera, CSpan and RT... Each one, a different world.

Can't really put "politics aside" completely when you are talking about the figurehead for a political party.

Clinton has a real gift for explaining the gist of things like this and is therefore unique and helpful. For others, the flow chart below will have to do.

m_jvh120007fa.png

As Michael inferred, Kaiser is considered centrist.
No inferences here. I said "not political". KFF advocates healthcare policy. While that may coincide with some partisan view, it is coincidental, not political advocacy.

Health Reform GPS, sponsored by George Washington University, is another web site that is very helpful, especially their white papers that provide explanation and detail on specific PPACA regulation implementation. Health Reform GPS: Navigating the Implementation Process

Yes... as far as I can see, it won't affect me (or you)... just me, being snoopy. It's going to affect my kids though, and as far as I can see, they don't have a clue.

Understand. Actually, my kids don't have a clue either and it probably won't affect them either. At least for a few years. Daughter is under her hubby's military plan (retired and 100% disability). Son is under city employee union plan. When he retires he will have to buy his own and will then fall under Obamacare. Good luck to him then.

The first box in the flow chart is "Is employer coverage available?". Taking this literally, anyone who is not presently employed should follow the NO branch. But, this could also be interpreted to mean "Is employer (or former employer) coverage available?", in which case someone covered by a former employer would take the YES branch.

So my question...does anyone know for sure which interpretation is correct?

The first box in the flow chart is "Is employer coverage available?". Taking this literally, anyone who is not presently employed should follow the NO branch. But, this could also be interpreted to mean "Is employer (or former employer) coverage available?", in which case someone covered by a former employer would take the YES branch.

So my question...does anyone know for sure which interpretation is correct?

The intention is to determine if the applicant is eligible for a subsidy. If any coverage is available that meets PPACA standards and costs less than a certain amount, the subsidy does not apply. They could also just drop the word "employer" altogether but probably leave it because, for the vast majority of people, the only coverage they would be getting would be from their current employer.

Can't really put "politics aside" completely when you are talking about the figurehead for a political party.

Clinton has a real gift for explaining the gist of things like this and is therefore unique and helpful. For others, the flow chart below will have to do.

Thank you for posting the helpful chart. May I ask where it came from?

Thank you for posting the helpful chart. May I ask where it came from?
I agree; that is a really great flowchart. It would make a good addition to the forum FAQ thread on the PPACA.

Back
Top Bottom