Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I seriously hesitate to say this, but just in case there is someone honestly looking for input:

First, Dr. Oz is, IMHO, a charlatan who will say whatever his producers want him to say in order to keep ratings up. There are endless examples, which I won't cite but are easily findable with a search engine.

Second, for those who are taking statins to lower their cholesterol, I would seriously recommend doing a bit of research to determine for yourself:
a. whether there is any real relationship between your blood cholesterol level and your risk of heart problems
b. whether the side effects of statins might be worse than their putative benefit (which is nonexistent, again IMHO).

Third, if you're going to put non-food substances into your body on an ongoing basis, there is every reason to investigate what they actually do and little reason to base your opinion on random recommendations (such as mine).
Agree 100% with points on Dr. Oz & caution/investigation regarding substances ingested. I would add that supplement industry in US is not well-regulated so label may or may not reflect actual substance/dosage in the product.

Re cholesterol, actually SPECIFIC cholesterol fractions, the evidence is rather overwhelming. Cholesterol control does decrease risk of future cardiovascular events, particularly when management is individualized (diet, exercise, meds, etc.). Here's recent well-referenced review from Clev Clinic-

Cardiovascular Disease Prevention

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
First, Dr. Oz is, IMHO, a charlatan who will say whatever his producers want him to say in order to keep ratings up. There are endless examples, which I won't cite but are easily findable with a search engine.
+1, and that goes for many media gurus. A couple of good litmus tests, IMO, are:

1. to search the "guru's" name along with "debunking" and/or "quack".

E.G.,
debunking dr. oz - Google Search

debunking dr. mercola - Google Search

debunking dr. blaylock - Google Search

2. check them out on debunking sites, such as:

Quackwatch

snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages

STATS: We Check Out the Numbers Behind the News

Metabunk.org - Debunking Sites
.... and others:

debunking sites - Google Search

Tyro

Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I fired my doctor when he wrote and MAILED a prescription to me for a statin without saying a word about diet. My ratio between HDL and LDL was actually quite favorable, but total cholesterol was just barely over the strictest threshold. It amazes me that the simple and effective idea of restricting refined carbohydrates gets zero attention from so many doctors. Thats all I did, and my profile is just fine. My ratio (which is a better predictor of CHD than total LDL) is a very happy number!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I fired my doctor when he wrote and MAILED a prescription to me for a statin without saying a word about diet.
I really like my doc, and wanted to keep him despite his infatuation with statins and tunnel-vision focus on LDL. I was able to discuss the research that shows the negative side of statins and the lack of good science showing their benefit for low risk people. He remains skeptical to this day, but we agreed to disagree. And every time he looks at my lab numbers, he shakes his head, stifles his impulses and tells me to keep doing what I'm doing.

Like you, I focus on my ratios (mainly triglycerides/HDL which has been well below 1.5 for years now).
Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Recently I got off simvastatin (40mg/day) for six weeks and my cholesterol skyrocketed. I got off it to prove a point to myself about the aches and pain associated with statins. Done with my doctor's knowledge of course. Pains went away but my doctor wants me back on 20mg simvastatin to get the numbers back down. I asked him about the CoQ10 and he told me not to use it. I also think the Mayo Clinic took a dim view of it.
Have you tried other statins? I'm not a great cheerleader for them, but I took Lipitor for a while and had the serious muscle pain side effect. Switched to Baycol (now off the market) and did fine. Was off them for a number of years (lost weight - that may have helped). Now I'm on pravistatin and no side effects that I've noticed. It's cheap too - $10 retail for 3 mos at Walmart. Hate Walmart but I can't beat the Rx prices.

I haven't tried CoQ10.

I have to say in defense of my doc, he watched my cholesterol for a long time before wanting me to try a statin. He didn't freak when it went a few points over 200
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
I seriously hesitate to say this, but just in case there is someone honestly looking for input:

Second, for those who are taking statins to lower their cholesterol, I would seriously recommend doing a bit of research to determine for yourself:
a. whether there is any real relationship between your blood cholesterol level and your risk of heart problems
b. whether the side effects of statins might be worse than their putative benefit (which is nonexistent, again IMHO).

Third, if you're going to put non-food substances into your body on an ongoing basis, there is every reason to investigate what they actually do and little reason to base your opinion on random recommendations (such as mine).
That isn't totally an IMHO, the tie between blood cholesterol and heart disease is complex. From what I've read, most people don't benefit from statins. Those that do are people who have already had a heart attack, and I think the benefit is minor. Plus whatever benefit the statin gives could be in part due to anti-inflammatory effects, not due to the statins.