Join Early Retirement Today

Co Q 10
Old 03-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Co Q 10

I am considering taking Co Q 10 to supplement my multivitamin. I have been reading and hearing great things about it as an antioxidant and helpful in anti aging effects. It was also recommended by Dr. Oz on one of his shows. Now I am in reasonably good shape for my age and feel pretty good but I guess you can always look for ways to improve. Any way has anybody had any experience with this supplement?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

AFAIK, it's not needed by most people, but can be valuable if you are, or have been on statins, which interfere with its activity.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

I used to suffer from pretty frequent migraines. A doctor suggested I try CO Q 10 to prevent them. I have been taking it for ~10 years, and have maybe had 2 migraines in that time.

I notice no side effects from it, and pretty much everything I read indicates it has many other benefits, besides slowing down my migraines. I get all my supplements from Puritan's Pride.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay
I used to suffer from pretty frequent migraines. A doctor suggested I try CO Q 10 to prevent them. I have been taking it for ~10 years, and have maybe had 2 migraines in that time.

I notice no side effects from it, and pretty much everything I read indicates it has many other benefits, besides slowing down my migraines. I get all my supplements from Puritan's Pride.
My GF frequently gets these. I will pass this on to her. Worth a shot.... I have read that taking CO Q10 in combination with fish oil may have positive health benefits. I take them both on a daily basis. If I die of a heart attack in a few years, obviously it was a waste of time. But they are cheap to buy and I spend no money on real medicine, so I am only out a few bucks a month and a few seconds daily to swallow them.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
gone traveling

every 5 years a new study comes out saying something is good for you and then 5 years after that the study says it is bad for you.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
every 5 years a new study comes out saying something is good for you and then 5 years after that the study says it is bad for you.
I can't argue with that. However, since it does appear that eating fish is good for you, and I would die of starvation before I would put any of it or seafood in my mouth, I feel compelled to give the fish oil in combo with the Co Q10 a shot.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been taking Costco liquid ubiquinol for a few years since I am on a statin. I am not sure if it helps or hurts, but I like the taste
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post

About the migraines...I have frequent headaches. I had hernia surgery about 2 -3 months ago and after the surgery I sneezed one day and while trying to avoid hurting the area where the surgery was, I hurt my lower back instead. Anyway, I had read that ginger root would work as an anti-inflammatory and since I'm not crazy about popping pain killers every day I started taking ginger root capsules every day and they helped my back pain subside. In the 6 weeks since I started taking ginger root, I've only had 2 minor headaches, much less than I usually experience. I have no proof that the ginger root actually helped my back or helped to lessen or prevent any headaches, but it seems to be helping so even though it might be some sort of placebo effect, I'll keep taking them.

I know this thread is about CO Q 10, but has anyone had experience with ginger root capsules and headaches?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Guilty of taking Ubiquinol and Omega3-Krill oil as recommended on Dr Oz. I also do not take any prescription medicines and feel left out when peers talk about their prescription expenses. I can at least chirp in and whine about the cost of supplements!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
I know this thread is about CO Q 10, but has anyone had experience with ginger root capsules and headaches?
I down a daily homemade smoothie so I can honestly tell my doctor that some vegetables pass my lips. She suggested I throw a hunk of ginger (the real root thing) in with my berries & kale and almond milk. It's got all kind of good side effects, one of which is relief from joint pain. I do think it helps my knees.

Hey, if it's helping YOUR headaches, then I'd go for it.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #11

Recently I got off simvastatin (40mg/day) for six weeks and my cholesterol skyrocketed. I got off it to prove a point to myself about the aches and pain associated with statins. Done with my doctor's knowledge of course. Pains went away but my doctor wants me back on 20mg simvastatin to get the numbers back down. I asked him about the CoQ10 and he told me not to use it. I also think the Mayo Clinic took a dim view of it.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #12

Pill to live to 150 - Telegraph
Old 03-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #13

Due to my high cholesterol, I am (reluctantly) taking a statin, which seems to be causing me to lose energy. My doctor said CoQ10 could help give me more energy. It really did not help, but others may have different experiences.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I seriously hesitate to say this, but just in case there is someone honestly looking for input:

First, Dr. Oz is, IMHO, a charlatan who will say whatever his producers want him to say in order to keep ratings up. There are endless examples, which I won't cite but are easily findable with a search engine.

Second, for those who are taking statins to lower their cholesterol, I would seriously recommend doing a bit of research to determine for yourself:
a. whether there is any real relationship between your blood cholesterol level and your risk of heart problems
b. whether the side effects of statins might be worse than their putative benefit (which is nonexistent, again IMHO).

Third, if you're going to put non-food substances into your body on an ongoing basis, there is every reason to investigate what they actually do and little reason to base your opinion on random recommendations (such as mine).
Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Third, if you're going to put non-food substances into your body on an ongoing basis, there is every reason to investigate what they actually do and little reason to base your opinion on random recommendations (such as mine).
+1,000 and very well said.

I recently went to a 1 hour talk by a cardiologist. She was so pro statins that I thought she worked for a Pharma. She actually said she thought muscle pains were all in the heads of most statin users.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #16

Quote:
I recently went to a 1 hour talk by a cardiologist. She was so pro statins that I thought she worked for a Pharma. She actually said she thought muscle pains were all in the heads of most statin users.
I'm usually a skeptic when it comes to aches and pains and other side effects, but when I switched from Lipitor to simvastatin a few years ago, I felt an immediate huge loss in physical stamina during twice weekly basketball games. I literally couldn't stand up after 20 minutes or so. After a few weeks I asked the doc to go back on Lipitor (more expensive at that time) and she got the insurance company to agree. Within a few days of switching back the lack of energy/vigor was gone and I was back to 2 hrs of basketball with only normal effects. On the advice of my wife, I took CoQ10 while on Lipitor for a couple of weeks and I didn't feel any effect, so I quit taking it.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I seriously hesitate to say this, but just in case there is someone honestly looking for input:

Second, for those who are taking statins to lower their cholesterol, I would seriously recommend doing a bit of research to determine for yourself:
a. whether there is any real relationship between your blood cholesterol level and your risk of heart problems
+1 DW's cholesterol was getting elevated and given some other conditions she has, her PCP referred her to a cardiologist for a workup. DW was very concerned about getting placed on a statin, however, the cardiologist did not see any evidence of plaque build up and given her good HDL and triglyceride levels, he told her she did not need a statin and he would only recommend that if he had dedected some evidence of plaque despite her high total cholesterol level.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #18

I have borderline total, with good HDL. I take red rice yeast, but stopped for one year, because of nagging muscle pain. My total cholesterol shot up 10%.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I have borderline total, with good HDL. I take red rice yeast, but stopped for one year, because of nagging muscle pain. My total cholesterol shot up 10%.
Cholesterol levels are more variable in same person as many (inc docs) seem to think. Even changing with the seasons by roughly 5-9%---
Cholesterol Levels May Vary By Season
Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Recently I got off simvastatin (40mg/day) for six weeks and my cholesterol skyrocketed. I got off it to prove a point to myself about the aches and pain associated with statins. Done with my doctor's knowledge of course. Pains went away but my doctor wants me back on 20mg simvastatin to get the numbers back down. I asked him about the CoQ10 and he told me not to use it. I also think the Mayo Clinic took a dim view of it.
Actually Mayo now seems to be mildly positive on CoQ10 for this purpose, although saying more study is needed-

Coenzyme Q10: Evidence - MayoClinic.com