Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I cannot predict how your application might be treated, but DW had a similar situation regarding the removal of a pre-cancerous skin lesion and it was regarded as a pre-existing condition. She was excluded from coverage for skin cancers of any type.
If they are basal cells it really just depends on the company. I wrote a policy last year on someone who had a history of basal cells, but none within past 12 months and they did not exclude anything. The company he applied with was one that more often than not excludes things like that, so it really just depends on the details.

Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

That's what I figured on the skin cancer part so we're going back this year for one last visit to the dermo while it's covered but wouldn't they have to cover it because there was no break in our insurance?

On the group insurance from our friend, couldn't he just put my husband on the payroll and say the insurance is his compensation for part time work? (OR is that pretty complicated to do?)

We were planning to try an independent agent. We contacted one when it looked like my company was going to be taken over to get an idea of what it would cost us. We were wondering if our friend might be able to get us something better.

I really don't understand why this has gotten to be so complicated for something you have to have!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I really don't understand why this has gotten to be so complicated for something you have to have![/QUOTE]

My humble opinion.....money. Our current health care system is all about the money.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
On the group insurance from our friend, couldn't he just put my husband on the payroll and say the insurance is his compensation for part time work? (OR is that pretty complicated to do?)
Well, it likely depends on what the plan requires in terms of how many hours you have to work to be eligible for coverage. Let's say the plan requires that your husband works 30 hours a week to be eligible for insurance. Then your husband would need to actually work 30 hours a week. Is he willing to do that? I would guess it is highly unlikely, for example, that the plan provides that if someone works 1 hour a week that the person is eligible for coverage.

Basically your husband couldn't just pretend to be an employee. He would actually have to do the work.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

One very important aspect when moving from Cobra to PMI is the state you live in.

I live in Washington State and just exhausted my Cobra and purchased private insurance. However, I did not have to fill out a health questionnaire or go through underwriting. I was accepted without concern over pre-existing coverage or higher HIPAA prices. WA law says that since I had 24 months of continuous prior coverage and had exhausted/declined Cobra, I had to be granted coverage.

This same rule applied to our kids who just relocated (laid off) and needed private insurance. They had prior coverage in a different state and had the option of Cobra, but at greater expense than private insurance.

My understanding is that WA has what is called 'Modified Guaranteed Issue and Community Rating' for Health Insurance - the former was what meant no underwriting or exclusions and the latter meant a fixed premium for an age group, regardless of history.

Other states have various levels of Guaranteed Issue - this table summarizes them
Old 10-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the info. I'm in Missouri, which it looks like from your table doesn't have any guaranteed coverage. Which figures. This state isn't very progressive.