Join Early Retirement Today

COBRA or Bronze ACA?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

COBRA or Bronze ACA?

After a really bad beginning the MA Health Connector website is working almost as well as it was before all the ACA changes. The plans have larger out of packet maxes, but have cheaper premiums than before, particularly when you factor in the subsidy.

My goal is to keep my income around $35k, that will keep me comfortable and keep the tax bill down, and it also gives me a nice healthcare subsidy.

My choice is whether to buy a cadillac COBRA plan at $429 a month that has deductible of $250 and covers the vast majority of costs after that or go with an inexpensive Bronze plan that will cost me $169/month but has a $2000 deductible and a $6350 annual out of pocket max. I'm 52, and healthy. I did have out patient surgery 3 years ago to remove a pressure related cyst, but don't take any drugs and have good blood pressure.

https://www.unicarestateplan.com/pdf...nGuide2013.pdf

https://www.mahealthconnector.org/In...40976455148455

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you know what you spend on health care in an average year? For us the Bronze plan HSA comes out best among our choices because in most years we do not spend much more on health care than what other policies would cost in premiums alone.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Do you know what you spend on health care in an average year? For us the Bronze plan HSA comes out best among our choices because in most years we do not spend much more on health care than what other policies would cost in premiums alone.
HSA also reduces income (assuming HSA contribution) which should both increase subsidy and provide triple federal tax benefit (in, growth and out).
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post
HSA also reduces income (assuming HSA contribution) which should both increase subsidy and provide triple federal tax benefit (in, growth and out).
Right, excellent points. I haven't had an HSA before but from what I understand we can now deduct expenses like glasses and dental visits. We no longer have dental insurance so having the dentists visits be tax deductible helps lower that cost, too.

And the HSA deduction helps keep us from the 400% FPL cliff.

We have been very happy with alternative medicine for most minor illnesses, aches and pains, so if we don't have any big medical expenses next year and we can keep our MAGI low, our health care costs might be as low as $4 a month for premiums. How cool is that?
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I spend almost nothing on healthcare. I had that small out patient surgery 3 years ago, but no chronic illness. So I was leaning towards the Bronze plan.
But there is more to consider. Under current rules I will qualify for that cadillac MA state health insurance as a retiree when I am 55 (in 2.5 years) and will pay $105/month. So that's a no brainer, but MA is in the process of changing those rules and I might have that benefit completely removed. As I am a UK citizen I also have the option to become resident in the UK and receive NHS treatment at zero cost to me.

Whatever I choose I'll fund an HSA. This is one recommended by Vanguard. is it any good?

Vanguard Funds List

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 11-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes I was thinking of the HSA if I get the high deductible plan, but it won't change my taxable income at all as it will just allow me to increase my IRA to ROTH rollover, still that's a good thing.

Even if I get state healthcare and have to stop contributing I can use the funds to pay things like prescriptions, co-pays etc. or eventually Medicare premiums.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post

Whatever I choose I'll fund an HSA. This is one recommended by Vanguard. is it any good?

Vanguard Funds List

Yes, that one is good but perhaps not the best depending upon one's situation.

The one downside to HSAs that I've found is that there is no optimal account option for those who want to use them as a super-IRA. This is due to added fees/expenses for account administration not used by these people - at least for many years.

I use HSA Bank/TD Ameritrade but both my wife and I have relatively large balances which makes it more attractive. HSA Administrators is certainly a reasonable option. Others here may have other suggestions.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, that one is good but perhaps not the best depending upon one's situation.

The one downside to HSAs that I've found is that there is no optimal account option for those who want to use them as a super-IRA. This is due to added fees/expenses for account administration not used by these people - at least for many years.

I use HSA Bank/TD Ameritrade but both my wife and I have relatively large balances which makes it more attractive. HSA Administrators is certainly a reasonable option. Others here may have other suggestions.
Just a double check on the HSA withdrawal rules. I can use the money tax free for medical expenses, but not premiums other than Medicare Parts A and B right? and after 59.5 I can withdraw the money without penalty for anything, but would have to pay tax on the money just like an IRA.

Also if I move back to the UK could I use the HSA money to pay for the costs of private health care in the UK?

Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Just a double check on the HSA withdrawal rules. I can use the money tax free for medical expenses, but not premiums other than Medicare Parts A and B right? and after 59.5 I can withdraw the money without penalty for anything, but would have to pay tax on the money just like an IRA.

Also if I move back to the UK could I use the HSA money to pay for the costs of private health care in the UK?
Yes, you may use the funds tax-free for medical expenses but not health insurance premiums. Just FYI, if you 'bank' receipts beginning when you open your account you may reimburse yourself at a later date (tax-free) for those non-reimbursed expenses from previous years.

Yes, you may use HSA funds to pay for Medicare premiums parts A, B and some others (and there are some excluded but I'm not sure which).

No, unlike an IRA for an HSA you must wait until age 65 to withdraw funds penalty-free.

Yes, after age 65 if the withdrawn HSA funds are not used for medical expenses they will be subject to income tax.

I am unsure about using the HSA $ for health care expenses in the U.K.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

One word of caution.. not all bronze plans or high deductible plans are HSA eligible. The reason may be they have some extractable benefit prior to fulfilling your minimum deductible -- although you may not even be aware of it.

So if the plan you are considering is not clearly labeled or designated as HSA eligible, you may want to inquire why not.
47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
I am unsure about using the HSA $ for health care expenses in the U.K.
Medical expenses incurred outside the US are deductible and HSA eligible. Exception would be drugs that are not available in the US. Nutritional supplements are also deductible if the they have been recommended by a medical practitioner.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
......Nutritional supplements are also deductible if the they have been recommended by a medical practitioner.
True, but ACA has made this a bit of a PITA. ACA now requires that for any supplements to be HSA-eligible expense, inc OTC, they must be specifically prescribed (inc documented prescription) as treatment/prevention for specific disease/disorder (i.e. not for general nutrition or well-being). IOW, the specific supplements are being prescribed as "medication" (e.g. fish oil, niacin, vit D, CoQ10, etc.).

Affordable Care Act: Questions and Answers on Over-the-Counter Medicines and Drugs
Publication 969 (2012), Health Savings Accounts and Other Tax-Favored Health Plans
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p502--2012.pdf
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Medical expenses incurred outside the US are deductible and HSA eligible. Exception would be drugs that are not available in the US. Nutritional supplements are also deductible if the they have been recommended by a medical practitioner.
That's good to know. Now I have no reason not to do that HSA if I'm eligible. I'm currently healthy so a high deductible plan looks the best, and at a cost in premiums of $169 per month it's inexpensive too. Hopefully my state's retiree health care rules won't change and I'll get a Cadillac plan with $250 deductible for $100/month in 2.5 years. If that changes and I get a chronic illness and will have to pay thousands out of pocket each year I'll just move back to the UK........and I'll be able to pay for what few health expenses I have with HSA dollars, although I think that the HSA will not be tax free in the UK.