Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This doesn't address the issue of actually paying for it when you have elected it. If you got 60+ days of coverage and didn't pay for if are the insurance companies going to send a bill collector after you...
Click on the Dept. of Labor https://www.dol.gov/sites/default/fi...e-consumer.pdf provided and read through the FAQ's. It answers this and any other concerns you might have.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Click on the Dept. of Labor https://www.dol.gov/sites/default/fi...e-consumer.pdf provided and read through the FAQ's. It answers this and any other concerns you might have.
I'm not planning on doing it, just saying I don't believe that course of action is ethical.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamjp View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

One clarification - received the notification letter on 10/24 stating my insurance with my employer will end on 10/31 and the Cobra election form must be postmarked by 12/30.

Right now, leaning toward enrolling in ACA starting 12/1 enrolling in same plan I intend to use in 2019.

I'm concerned about the 1-2 day gap in coverage after 12/30 (12/31).
I am not understanding the 1-2 day gap in coverage you are talking about.

If you want to enroll in ACA, I would suggest doing it sooner than later. So that you have the paperwork in place. Annual enrollment has already started.

Remember that for November 2018, your insurance ID card will show expired when health care providers look you up on the system, you will have to pay ahead for any services and then get reimbursement. Happened to me one time when I was laid off and transitioning to COBRA. The services was for an ultrasound, but it could have been something much more expensive.

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Sure if you like committing fraud. It's fraud plain and simple..But if your only consideration is you probably won't actually need healthcare you've probably done things of this sort before...
Lol, Ivinsfan to the moral rescue. You must have a really high perch to look down among the minions and judge.
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #25

Quote:
This doesn't address the issue of actually paying for it when you have elected it. If you got 60+ days of coverage and didn't pay for if are the insurance companies going to send a bill collector after you...
Yes they are. If you send in the form saying you elect to sign up for COBRA, then you are on the hook to pay the premiums for the entire 60-day election period plus however many months you stay enrolled after that, and you are subject to whatever bill collection method the insurance company uses. If you send in the form on Day 1 and cancel on Day 60, you don't have to pay the premiums for those two months until Day 105, but you do have to pay them. If you never send in the form, then none of your medical claims will be paid but you won't owe any premiums either.

However, you really can legally and non-fraudulently wait until the 60th day to decide whether to elect COBRA coverage. If you break your leg on the 31st day of your 60-day election period, you can still send in the form up until the 60th day and your broken leg will be covered. As far as I know, COBRA is the one and only kind of insurance that you can purchase retroactively.

The problem for OP is that if he takes the wait-and-see approach, there is a risk that he has some medical issue late in the 60-day period that prevents him from sending in the form, or that he needs medical care on New Year's Eve. He will have to figure out his risk tolerance for such events.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #26
Administrator

Let's remember to keep this friendly. We can all disagree without being disagreeable.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Yes they are. If you send in the form saying you elect to sign up for COBRA, then you are on the hook to pay the premiums for the entire 60-day election period plus however many months you stay enrolled after that, and you are subject to whatever bill collection method the insurance company uses. If you send in the form on Day 1 and cancel on Day 60, you don't have to pay the premiums for those two months until Day 105, but you do have to pay them. If you never send in the form, then none of your medical claims will be paid but you won't owe any premiums either.

However, you really can legally and non-fraudulently wait until the 60th day to decide whether to elect COBRA coverage. If you break your leg on the 31st day of your 60-day election period, you can still send in the form up until the 60th day and your broken leg will be covered. As far as I know, COBRA is the one and only kind of insurance that you can purchase retroactively.

The problem for OP is that if he takes the wait-and-see approach, there is a risk that he has some medical issue late in the 60-day period that prevents him from sending in the form, or that he needs medical care on New Year's Eve. He will have to figure out his risk tolerance for such events.
Broadways comment that waiting can leave you in a insurance limbo with providers and hospitals can be a concern too. And I guess at some point they might shorten that 60 day period too if they feel too many people are trying to game the system.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
Lol, Ivinsfan to the moral rescue. You must have a really high perch to look down among the minions and judge.
It's interesting that health care has become such a third-rail and polarizes people. Whether it's ACA and income management, Christian based health plans, Medicare for all, or trying to use COBRA for a couple months of free health care. I can't think of any other subject where people get so focused on getting something for free or pounding on people that don't agree with them.

I said IMO it's fraud to use something and not pay for it. If you don't agree that's fine. I'd tell you the same thing if you were asking about your light bill or your cell phone bill. You might ask yourself what I've said that could possibly tick you off so much that all you can do is come here and slam someone personally without even responding to the original topic.Perhaps you need to put me on ignore if you are just going to read my posts and seethe inside.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Broadways comment that waiting can leave you in a insurance limbo with providers and hospitals can be a concern too. And I guess at some point they might shorten that 60 day period too if they feel too many people are trying to game the system.
It definitely should be a concern.

It happened to me as I was transitioning to COBRA.

I still remember them using my insurance ID to look up my coverage and being told I had none.

Because I had been a patient with that practice for several years, they were willing to do the ultrasound in-house and bill me for it.
If I had gone to a place that specialized in ultrasounds, I would have had to pay immediately and wait for the insurance company to reimburse me.
Fortunately the paperwork for the COBRA went through by the time the payment was due.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #30

I did the two month free ride when I quit. Then started ACA in January.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I did the two month free ride when I quit. Then started ACA in January.

Same here.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote