Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Decaf for this girl all the way. Freebird on caffeine is not funny.

I used to buy cheapo brand coffee. My new guy friend has turned me on to Dunkin Donuts coffee. I'm hooked!
I bought 1 lb of whole bean at a DD store. In the spirit of LBYM, I researched and ordered DD whole bean in 5 lb bags, shipped to the house. It is cheaper in whole bean bulk quantity than comparable quality brands in the grocery store large cans. I didn't believe it at first either, but it is true. I grind it as needed, enough for 4 days.
I might even start the periodic subscription where it would be auto delivered every 10 weeks (or longer). I'm still figuring out our consumption rate and the comparison of product cost + shipping charges on the back of an envelope.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Yes, I'm a bit of a coffee nerd.
Can you recommend the least expensive quality burr grinder for doing beans at home? Mostly I will use it for for manual drip coffee, but some espresso. (Bialetti stovetop espresso pot.)

Usually I drink my espresso in a coffee house of which there are about 6 within 5 blocks or so, but sometimes if I have someone over I like to make it here. But I make drip coffee every morning, and occasionally later in the day too.

Thanks!

Ha

Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Can you recommend the least expensive quality burr grinder for doing beans at home? Mostly I will use it for for manual drip coffee, but some espresso. (Bialetti stovetop espresso pot.)

Usually I drink my espresso in a coffee house of which there are about 6 within 5 blocks or so, but sometimes if I have someone over I like to make it here. But I make drip coffee every morning, and occasionally later in the day too.

Thanks!

Ha
I gave up on burr grinders after burning up 2 of them and returned to my 30 year old Krups whirr grinder. It does a decent enuf job if I pulse it. Sorry
Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I gave up on burr grinders after burning up 2 of them and returned to my 30 year old Krups whirr grinder. It does a decent enuf job if I pulse it. Sorry
OK, you just saved me some money.

Ha
Old 03-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I use a Cuisinart Coffee Bar coffee grinder. It has stainless steel blades and a clear brown plastic removable top. You can "see" the degree of grinding as you go. You activate it manually by pressing down on the large button (switch) built into the top. It is very compact at 7" high x 4.5" diameter. Perfect for small quantity grinding without taking up a lot of countertop space.
I have as second identical one dedicated to whole spice grinding. I buy black peppercorns in quantity and grind as needed.
http://www.cuisinart.com/products/co...r/dcg-20n.html
Old 03-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Coffee is good. I'll do my part.

But there is even a better health booster... Beer! Who 'da Thunk it?

Drink up.

Beer A Health Booster? - The Early Show - CBS News
Old 03-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
For the adventurous that love coffee, here's my favorite: Lavazza from Italy. Cheap on Amazon.com....smells and tastes delicious to me. I think they refer to it as the Gucci of coffees.

Lavazza Tierra! 100% Sustainable Ground Coffee, 8-Ounce Cans (Pack of 3): Amazon.com: Home & Garden
I use Lavazza crema e Gusto expresso as my regular coffee which I buy all over in 8.8 ounce vacuum packs.

have a boiling water on-demand tap and use a one cup metal camping filter to filter the expresso, with the grounds in the water as briefly as possible...maybe 30 seconds.

MSR Mug Mate Coffee/Tea Filter - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I also add a half teaspoon of pure cocoa and sweethen with erythritol

Erythritol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also whiten it with full fat evaporated milk, which tastes as creamy as half and half to me\

also great in coffee, or elsewhere

http://www.vancouversun.com/Maple+sy...872/story.html
Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a Krupps burr grinder, nicer than any of the bade grinders I have used. Don't remember what it cost but I would try the cheapest burr grinder and see if you like it. I could tell the difference but it also matters which beans are used, some are larger and harder than others.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I love coffee! If my teeth turn bright yellow then so be it!
Some people may only need to remove their teeth before drinking coffee, but I don't know if I envy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am imagining myself at age 90 drinking hot water instead (just joking).
My grandma liked to drink hot, not cold, water. I didn't know why. But she also drank tea.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My grandma liked to drink hot, not cold, water. I didn't know why. But she also drank tea.
I'll bet she wished it was coffee!

All this talk about coffee grinders and expresso machines makes me feel a little wistful. I couldn't afford them back when coffee didn't bother me. Now, I can afford them but coffee keeps me up.

On the other hand, a thought just occurred to me - - who cares if it keeps me up? I can sleep late to catch up on that lost sleep, now that I am retired. Maybe I'll even go back to "real" coffee once in a while.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Cuppa coffee, glass of red wine, cuppa black or green tea - that is alot of stuff recommended to drink every day! what else? hehe
I have never in my life had even a sip of any of those drinks. I guess i'm going to die young
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
On the other hand, a thought just occurred to me - - who cares if it keeps me up? I can sleep late to catch up on that lost sleep, now that I am retired. Maybe I'll even go back to "real" coffee once in a while.
I drink a lot of coffee, and do not have problems sleeping. I guess one develops a tolerance to caffeine. But I wonder if it is a major contribution to my blood pressure creeping higher.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have never in my life had even a sip of any of those drinks. I guess i'm going to die young
Hmm... It's not too late to join us.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I drink a lot of coffee, and do not have problems sleeping. I guess one develops a tolerance to caffeine. But I wonder if it is a major contribution to my blood pressure creeping higher.
Try doing without it for a month and see if it makes any difference. You might the caffeine withdrawal headaches ...
Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
OK, you just saved me some money.

Ha
A good site for coffee aficionados (I used to roast my own beans) but they carry all coffee supplies/equipment Sweet Maria's

I ended up getting the Bodum C-mill (blade grinder) based on their recommendation, and have been very happy. Not fine enough for espresso machines, but otherwise very good. The Bodum C-Mill Blade Grinder

My husband will probably still get a burr grinder when we move into the new house. I forget which one he favors at the moment. I know his favorite coffee equipment website is Wholelattelove and they have plenty of reviews.

Audrey
Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

We've tried a lot of the smaller local coffee roasters when traveling around the country. Some really great beans out there!

This Montana roaster really stood out, and we order most of our coffee from them - Hunter Bay Coffee.

We particularly like their dark roast blends - very smooth, dark rich taste with nice chocolate notes. "Expedition" & "Moose Drool". We also get the French Roast Decaf to create the 1/2 caffeinated coffee I drink.

Another really good one (also Montana - how about that?) Coffee Traders . They have a sister company in Austin, but somehow we liked the Montana versions better and would order from there instead of buying local.

Audrey
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #37

I accidentally discovered the decaf from Old Soul in Sacramento. MMMMMMM!!! FABULOUS!!! They roast their own beans (and bake their own bread - oh the heavenly smells there!) Mom flew out yesterday with a couple bags of beans for me...can't wait to get my hands on them! www.oldsoulco.com Absolutely worth it!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
W2R - tea has more caffeine than coffee I believe but decaf tea isn't so bad. You know we have a flood in common. How's it looking down there? We are set to demolish 700 homes this summer.
Is there a specific tea or brewing that you are referring to? I know from my time being pregnant that tea was generally half the caffeine of coffee...

On another note, my new capresso burr grinder is spectacular! Quiet and strong...I got mine on amazon but Costco is also selling one...
Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Is there a specific tea or brewing that you are referring to? I know from my time being pregnant that tea was generally half the caffeine of coffee...
You are the second person in this thread to say that...I'm not sure why I thought tea had less caffeine? Brewed coffee makes my hair stand on end though. I'm very sensitive to it for some reason - tea, not so much.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a coffee freak. I take my own bone china mug to Caribou.
I use a Black and Decker Burr grinder after killing two Krups in a year.
A few rules
1) Bean coffee should be kept in the Freezer until grinding. It should be used within a few hours of grinding.
2) If you use a drip filter, test different grinds for your particular machine and filters.Stick with what you like.
3) if you use a percolator, don't call the output "coffee".
4) if you use steam extraction as in a proper espresso machine, send me a note and Ill come by with beans. Yes I know there are people who prefer pump extraction, but there are also people who think shooting buffalo in a parking lot is hunting
5) The secret to an Italian coffee shop is the wooden drawer where they dump the used grounds. After 40 years or so the wood is pure coffee aroma. If you want to open a coffee shop go to Italy and buy the drawer.
6) The best coffee houses are in Vienna and Salzburg, The coffee is ordinary but the atmosphere is superb.
7) What they do to the great coffee they grow in Kenya should not happen to your worst enemy.
8) Egyptian coffee is fascinating, strong, sweet and they use the grounds to pave the roads.
9) Drink tea in England. If you are lucky the coffee is only 50 % sawdust.
10) To appreciate instant coffee you must be a scuba diver. After an hour biting on a rubber mouthpiece and breathing bone dry air even a Goodyear tire tastes wonderful
11) When you do the McDonalds coffee case in class, use raw chicken rather than a student to show the burn depth.