Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I've drunk so many strange brews in the Navy under the dubious heading of "coffee" that it's hard to get excited about a specific brand or brew. One of my favorite (very few) happy memories of active duty is standing on the bridge of a surfaced submarine at 3 AM, heading toward the Honolulu city lights glowing over the horizon, and smelling a "fresh"-er cup of coffee being sent up the hatch. I still have that "Ahhhh" reaction when I hear the pot finish brewing.

When I ER'd I stopped all caffeinated beverages, but after a couple years I slowly re-introduced green tea and then regular coffee. No issues. I drink a 24-oz pot of each one each morning and in colder weather I'll follow up with a pot of decaf. If I go out to lunch or a conference/meeting then I'll swill the house's coffee with wild abandon but otherwise that's it. Cold evenings are meant for hot chocolate, not coffee.

I haven't experimented much with various flavors. Small bag of straight Kona, beans or ground, whichever's cheaper. Black. Stronger the better. I enjoyed a bag from a trip to Kauai Coffee Company where they let you literally pick your beans before they're roasted.

One morning by chance our bunny gave a very strong "Oboy!" reaction when he smelled a green tea bag. So now when I'm done with them (and what little caffeine they contain has been soaked out of them) I pull out the staple and he gets the teabag. It's funny to watch him daintily tear the top open, carefully lick out the tea leaves, and then gobble up the rest of the bag. The remaining debris (grounds, filter, the other teabag) goes into our vermipost.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
1) Bean coffee should be kept in the Freezer until grinding. It should be used within a few hours of grinding.
This is a common misconception. Storing your coffee beans or ground coffee in the freezer is the worst place for it. Most of the coffee flavor is in the aromatics in the oils. The freezer is extremely dessicating and destroys the oils faster than anything. Coffee stays good the longest at cool room temperatures in an air tight container, not in the refrigerator or freezer. The best container is a vacuum bag or jar so there is no air at all in the container.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:03 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Emeritus, if you wrote all that without help you're hysterical! That's really clever and witty!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
This is a common misconception. Storing your coffee beans or ground coffee in the freezer is the worst place for it. Most of the coffee flavor is in the aromatics in the oils. The freezer is extremely dessicating and destroys the oils faster than anything. Coffee stays good the longest at cool room temperatures in an air tight container, not in the refrigerator or freezer. The best container is a vacuum bag or jar so there is no air at all in the container.
Others disagree
When to Freeze Coffee

How long does coffee stay fresh? A good rule to use is two weeks. Now, if you happen to have found a great price on bulk coffee, and you don't plan on using it within two weeks, the freezer can be an acceptable one-time shot. What this means is that once you take it out of the freezer, it should never go back in. The constant changes in temperature will wreak havoc on your coffee. The frozen moisture on your coffee will melt and be absorbed into the bean. When you put it back into the freezer, you are repeating the process.

The goal in freezing coffee is to keep it away from moisture. If you have a five-pound bag of coffee to store, divide it up into weekly portions. Wrap those portions up using sealable freezer bags and plastic wrap. I've even read you should go so far as to suck out the excess air from the freezer bag using a straw!
Remove the weekly portion when you need it, and store it in an air-tight container in a dry place like your pantry. Do not put it back into the freezer!
Store Coffee - How to Store Coffee – Secrets from a gourmet roaster! - CoffeeAM
To Freeze, or Not To Freeze...

The age old question, and also our number one question asked at our weekend coffee shows. How shall I keep my coffee, in the fridge, or in the freezer?

There are two schools of thought here, I'll share them both with you.

First and fore most, keep a weeks worth of coffee in an air tight container, such as a Tupperware or mason jar or etc, at room temperature, in your cupboard or pantry. Keep any excess coffee, that amount that you will not be using in the next week, sealed in an airtight and moisture tight container in your freezer, for the following reasons:

The first school of thought: Your fridge (if it's anything like mine) tends to sometimes have less than desirable aromas contained within it. That leftover meatloaf that was left a little too far over, those fried onions, that science project in the back, all can be quite aromatic if not kept under control. Coffee absorbs aromas as it stales, in the same fashion as baking soda. If you leave your coffee next to that science project, over time, it will start to taste like that science project in your cup, no matter the container the coffee is held in. Result: The fridge is not the place to store your coffee.

The second school of thought: your freezer circulates moist air, and moisture damages the flavor oils in coffee. Correct, hence the moisture tight container for the freezer. Freezing the coffee slows the staling process that much more than the fridge. The closer you can get to keeping your coffee to 32 degrees Fahrenheit, the better. So the freezer is the place. Just keep it air tight, and moisture tight. A freezer bag works well, two freezer bags, even better. But...

Remember to keep a weeks worth of your coffee at room temp. Never use (grind or brew) frozen coffee. Once your coffee comes out of the freezer, it needs to stay out of the freezer. Repeated freezing and thawing of coffee will damage the flavor oils. Put your excess coffee in the freezer, and leave it there. Once that weeks worth comes out, it stays out until it's used. Another way of putting it, your coffee should only be frozen, and stay frozen ONCE. Take out a weeks worth at a time, and draw from that until it's time to bring more out.

Freeze Your Coffee?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
W2R - tea has more caffeine than coffee I believe but decaf tea isn't so bad. You know we have a flood in common. How's it looking down there? We are set to demolish 700 homes this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
You are the second person in this thread to say that...I'm not sure why I thought tea had less caffeine? Brewed coffee makes my hair stand on end though. I'm very sensitive to it for some reason - tea, not so much.
You must have just flipped the two when you wrote your other post...
Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Starbucks announces new size offering, the 128 ounce "Plenta"

SEATTLE -- Starbucks got into the spirit of April Fools’ Day as the coffee giant unveiled a giant coffee.
The company announced two new drink sizes on its blog Thursday.
“Plenta” is a hefty 128 fluid ounces, while “Micra” is a tiny 2 ounces.
Starbucks added the the extreme cup sizes were definitely recyclable. Among the suggestions for the Plenta cup, the company suggested customers reuse it as a popcorn receptacle, rain hat, perennial planter, lampshade or yoga block.
The Micra cup, Starbucks said, could be reused as a milk dish for kittens, or a paper clip holder.
While the announcement of the two new sizes were just an April Fools’ joke, complete with the April 1 timestamp on the blog post, Starbucks had previously said it is testing a 31-ounce coffee size, called the Trenta, in several markets, including the Tampa Bay Area.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I absolutely love coffee. A few years ago when the e-mail coffee jokes of the "Juan Valdez named his donkey after you" were circulating--20 people must have sent them to me with little "saw this and thought of you notes." That said, I am not real picky and will usually drink most any brew labeled coffee. However, since retiring I have gotten pickier about my morning coffee since I no longer gulp while getting ready to run out the door. Before retirment, day old coffee reheated in the microwave was okay with me---but now that I have time to actually taste/enjoy coffee in the morning, the day old re-heat just won't do.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Coffee is back, assuming it left your life in the first place.

Note the cartoon on the first screen.

The Coffee Achievers is back online. « MitchClem.com
Old 02-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Emeritus, if you wrote all that without help you're hysterical! That's really clever and witty!
+1.

On my recent Costa Rica tour, they took me to coffee plantation and here are some of the things I've learned.

• Properly brewing coffee step is as complex as properly brewing tea (I am not talking about tea bags. Think the way of "dao."
  • Coffee can taste better served cold.
  • Lesser quality coffee are sold with flavors added, English toffee, e.g..
  • Even lesser quality coffee are turned into instant ones. Folgers, e.g..
  • Decafs are produced with some kind of water treatment. Be careful - there are ones which are chemically treated.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #50

Probably the only menu item I will endorse from McDonalds. In many areas it is much superior to Starbucks, which I can barely tolerate. A smooth cup of Joe, Dunkin's works as well, is all I want. Not some in your face brew.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #51

The report that coffee might inhibit development of type 2 diabetes caught my eye, since diabetes runs in my family.

"In 2002, a Dutch cohort study of 17,111 adults identified 306 new cases of type 2 diabetes and showed that those subjects drinking at least 7 cups of coffee per day were half as likely to develop type 2 diabetes. This association was statistically significant. Since then, more than a dozen other studies have confirmed this finding in other populations." Bring on that Columbian!

Coffee Health Benefits : Coffee may protect against disease - Harvard Health Publications
Old 02-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
The report that coffee might inhibit development of type 2 diabetes caught my eye, since diabetes runs in my family.

"In 2002, a Dutch cohort study of 17,111 adults identified 306 new cases of type 2 diabetes and showed that those subjects drinking at least 7 cups of coffee per day were half as likely to develop type 2 diabetes. This association was statistically significant. Since then, more than a dozen other studies have confirmed this finding in other populations." Bring on that Columbian!

Coffee Health Benefits : Coffee may protect against disease - Harvard Health Publications

Just read that flex seeds help prevent type 2 diabetes. Since I need to drink coffee (rather than injecting caffeine intravenously), I will use flex seed powder instead of cream. It should cancel out the negative effects coffee has on type 2 diabetes.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed
The hands acquire shakes
The shakes become a warning

- The Programmer's Mantra
Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed
The hands acquire shakes
The shakes become a warning

- The Programmer's Mantra

He who controls caffeine controls the universe.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Good thing this post was resurrected from 2010.

I LOVE COFFEE

There...I just wanted the World to know. I feel much better now as I post this while hanging out at Starbucks.

Sent from my HTC One using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Just read that flex seeds help prevent type 2 diabetes. Since I need to drink coffee (rather than injecting caffeine intravenously), I will use flex seed powder instead of cream. It should cancel out the negative effects coffee has on type 2 diabetes.
No, no, coffee discourages diabetes. So the seeds should enhance the positive effect --they both work toward a common goal, if the studies prove correct.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
No, no, coffee discourages diabetes. So the seeds should enhance the positive effect --they both work toward a common goal, if the studies prove correct.
Oh, I read earlier post wrong .... never mind.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never been a fan of coffee, and straight doses of caffeine go right to my stomach. If I need a perk up I've started using Sprayable caffeine, it sprays on like a perfume and is taken slowly into your system. That way the caffeine sensitive don't seem to get the jitters and upset stomach involved in a straight shot to the belly :P It's a recent development for me, so I'm still seeing how it works, but so far so good!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #59

We have Delonghi Magnifica, pain to clean but works well, I invented an AutoFill water reservoir for it using a miniature float system a couple of years ago, and it has worked well since. Filling the water was tedious. Now I just feed it through a filter from the fridge's water faucet.

I buy Lavazza Crema on line and it makes a great cup.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #60

I was in Honduras last year and brought back best coffee I've ever had, at $4 a pound! Was certified organic, and was the "select" as in where they hand sort out the beans. I wish I'd thrown away my dirty clothes to make more room for more coffee!