Coffee!

Speaking of coffee, I just invested in the Clever Coffee Dripper. Essentially it is a Melita-type drip thingy but with a base that allows the coffee to steep before it drips into the cup. Makes very good coffee!

Drinking coffee helps reduce CVD. Thank goodness! I never cared for green tea.

https://news.yahoo.com/drinking-two-three-cups-coffee-230500348.html

“The results suggest that mild to moderate intake of ground, instant and decaffeinated coffee should be considered part of a healthy lifestyle

Professor Peter Kistler, study author

Compared with no coffee drinking, this was associated with a 14%, 27% and 11% lower likelihood of death for decaffeinated, ground and instant preparations, respectively.”

“ The study examined the links between types of coffee and heart rhythms, cardiovascular disease and death using data from the UK Biobank study, which recruited adults between 40 and 69 years of age.

Cardiovascular disease was made up of coronary heart disease, congestive heart failure and ischaemic stroke.”

Last edited:
Simmer a heaping teaspoon of cocoa in 6oz of water for 5 minutes. Sweeten to taste (I use a tsp of brown sugar Splenda). Add a tablespoon of chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips and stir until melted. A little goes a long way. Also, only 3 WW points, 2 with regular Splenda.

I started back with drinking coffee in the morning a few years ago but I still like chocolate. So I started putting in a 1/2 tsp of sugar and a spoonful of Nutella. Now I use a spoonful of Chocolate Collagen Peptides powder instead. Then about 1/2 milk. Tastes like hot chocolate/coffee.

Cheers!

Always been a coffee drinker, Megacorp supplied unlimited Folgers. I drank it with cream when I started there but found black was better when you slammed down yesterdays cold coffee.

Since retirement I've upped our coffee game. New Moccamaster brewer and a Profitec Pro 300 double boiler espresso machine with an absolute beast of an Oro single dose grinder. I had purchased a single boiler machine that didn't have a PID, a temperature control for the boiler, and it wasn't much fun at our altitude attempting to make espresso with steam. Due to altitude I can only get the boiler to 197°F which limits me to more dark roasts and decaffeinated coffee. Decaffeinated is necessary as DW's osteoporosis doctor says no more than 2 cups of caffeine daily.

The price of good equipment and the ongoing costs of beans should be a BTD thread.

Most days stop at favorite cafe for Americano. Whatever brand of beans they use is fine.

I do like my coffee, but it keeps me awake at night. I have had to switch to just one cup of half decaf per day, and eventually I will probably have to switch to all decaf.

At that point, I am thinking of switching to tea. Maybe that will allow me to sleep more easily. Or not. I am imagining myself at age 90 drinking hot water instead (just joking).

I wrote the above in 2010, 12 years ago.

Guess I was right! I am 74 now and drinking Folgers instant decaf instead of "real" coffee, due to the caffeine in the latter which keeps me awake at night. Actually the decaf isn't that bad, now that I'm used to it. And lately I have been thinking of switching to hot water, instead.

US is way down the list of per capita coffee consumption, like 9.26 pounds average per person in 2016 compared to world leader Finland at over 26 pounds.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/coffee-consumption-by-country

TBH, 9.26 pounds seem like a lot as well to me because I'm mostly consuming capsules, usually one a day.

Decaffeinated coffee seems to be a fraction of total coffee consumption in the US:

Decaf was one of the least consumed types of coffee in the United States. When asked about the kind of beverage they had drunk in the past day, only about ten percent of U.S. respondents stated they had a cup of decaffeinated coffee during this timeframe. About 44 percent of Americans had a cup of traditional coffee, while roughly 24 percent had espresso-based beverages. In the same year popular non-espresso-based coffee beverages included frozen blended and cold brew coffee. 13 percent of U.S. consumers had drunk frozen blended coffee for their past-week consumption, while 12 percent opted for cold brew.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/456356/us-per-capita-consumption-of-decaffeinated-coffee/

The decaffeination process may have some undesirable issues:

According to a 2017 systematic reviewTrusted Source, decaf coffee is similar in composition to regular coffee but contains little or no caffeine.

To remove the caffeine, manufacturers soak or steam unroasted coffee beans using a combination of water and other chemicals, such as:

- activated charcoal
- supercritical carbon dioxide
- methylene chloride
- ethyl acetate

Manufacturers use water because caffeine is a water-soluble substance. However, using water by itself may remove other compounds, such as proteins and sugar, from the coffee beans.

Using additional chemicals speeds up the decaffeination process, which minimizes the loss of noncaffeine compounds and helps preserve the distinct coffee flavor.

However, the use of methylene chloride in the decaffeination process has raised some concern among members of the coffee community as well as some consumers.

Inhaling even small amounts of methylene chloride — around 200 parts per million (ppm) in the air — can temporarily slow down the central nervous system and affect a person’s attention and hand-eye coordination. Mild exposure can also lead to symptoms such as:

- headache
- drowsiness
- lightheadedness
- irritability
- coughing or wheezing

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have approved the use of methylene chloride in the caffeine extraction process as long as the final product contains no more than 10 ppm, or 0.001%, of residual methylene chloride.

Well, sounds like it's about time for me to switch from decaf to hot water... :) One less thing to buy.

We are lazy, just K cups of San Francisco Bay Hazelnut Creme.

Oh, I sometimes get a "Senior" $0.54 cup of Burger King's finest rot gut while at my daily ROMEO meetup. Terrible stuff...:dead:

I like coffee and we buy it fresh roasted in 5 pound bags. I'd say every other month. So 15 pounds / person - :)

I'm probably 10 and wife 20, she drinks at least twice what I do.

Since hotel room coffee is typically terrible, I travel with a mini kettle, small sized pour over, #2 filters, and ground coffee. I’m up earlier than restaurants open for breakfast and love having an excellent cuppa first thing. They even have collapsible kettles and pour overs now, but my complete coffee kit takes up little space as it is.

Since hotel room coffee is typically terrible, I travel with a mini kettle, small sized pour over, #2 filters, and ground coffee. I’m up earlier than restaurants open for breakfast and love having an excellent cuppa first thing. They even have collapsible kettles and pour overs now, but my complete coffee kit takes up little space as it is.

Makes perfect sense to me.
When I take a road trip I frequently bring a small Keurig for the hotel room. Traveling by car lets you carry all you want, and it's a very welcome touch. DW uses fancy coffee K-cups at home, so it's easy to get her favorites in the morning along with my boring plain coffee.

When I travel by air, I bring an Aeropress. It takes little room in the suitcase, coupled with a little immersion heater and makes an excellent cup of coffee. I learned about the Aeropress from posters here (search for the word and you'll find a number of threads where it's mentioned), and have been very impressed with it.

I drink too much coffee. My coffee is morning to lunch than maybe a cup or two afternoons.

I guess I'm in the 8 cups range a day at the highest. Of course, when you fill a to go coffee mug/cup that is two cups right there.

It is the only habit I really have but I need coffee. lol

I drink 2 big cups in the morning. At night I have a cup of decaf.

DH and I have 2 mugs every morning, DH will have some in the afternoon or evening, but I need to switch to Decaf if I have anything after noon.

I love coffee. I have a 20 oz cup every morning. I grind the beans every day and use the pour over system. I have a voracious sweet tooth but for some reason I don’t like my coffee sweet. I use regular 1/2 and 1/2. I rarely drink coffee in the evening. I switch to water after my morning cup and don’t revert back.
For those wanting something hot with no caffeine try slicing some ginger root and putting it in hot water. Gives it a little kick. A squeeze of lemon makes it a tasty treat. I do that mid day in the winter if I’m cold.

Somewhere I saw a recipe and have made a number of affogattos. Vanilla or chocolate ice cream with a double shot of espresso or stong coffee. Some add shaved dark chocolate or a liquor too. I no longer need to ask DW if she wants one after dinner.

Per a recent study, it looks like a little (real) coffee is good for you:

Coffee Drinking and Caffeine Associated With Reduced Risk of Hospitalization for Heart Rhythm Disturbances | Kaiser Permanente News Center

I feel sensitive to caffeine so I pretty much stick to decaf and I know whose decaf coffee has more caffeine than others. I hope that this is true for chocolate too. I refuse to give up chocolate although I have cut back from bars to a piece every day. On my food pyramid chocolate is one of the major food groups.

coffee in italy is the best

If you are going to Rome, there are two famous coffee shops right on the Pantheon piazza with superb coffee: Cafe d'Oro and Cafe Eustachio. Romans drink espresso or, in the morning, cappuccino. Both are always excellent. Also not to be missed is their unique form of hot chocolate, thick enough to stand a spoon in it. I'll be in Vienna next week where I first learned, long before Starbucks, that coffee could be prepared a hundred different ways. I just love the classic old coffee houses there where you can linger for hours over a single cup.

Last edited:
Can’t wait to find out for myself. I will be there in 2 weeks! Any recommendations for coffee drinks to try or look for?

Some hotels will make cappuccino for you as part of breakfast.

May have to ask for it.

Also there's a difference in prices of coffee charged if you get it at the counter and drink it while standing vs. sitting down and taking up a table.

At cafes, especially those at a popular, nice piazza or square, the prices are higher, especially if you sit down at an outdoor table to people watch.

In fact most establishments at famous or well known locations, like Piazza San Marco in Rome or Piazza della Signoria in Florence, prices are high, though the setting and atmosphere are great.

If you can find a little bar or cafe in a side or back street with a lot less traffic, it will be cheaper but you may be standing at the counter or at a tiny table inside.

I think some places started to offer coffee to go but the tradition is to take it at the place.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom