Join Early Retirement Today

Coffee is good for you -- and your brain.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Coffee is good for you -- and your brain.

A group of international experts were organized to explore the effects of caffeine on the brain by guest editors Alexandre de Mendonça, Institute of Molecular Medicine and Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon, Portugal, and Rodrigo A. Cunha, Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology of Coimbra and Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, Portugal.

The resulting collection of original studies conveys multiple perspectives on topics ranging from molecular targets of caffeine, neurophysiological modifications and adaptations, to the potential mechanisms underlying the behavioral and neuroprotective actions of caffeine in distinct brain pathologies.

A special supplement to the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, "Therapeutic Opportunities for Caffeine in Alzheimer's Disease and Other Neurodegenerative Diseases," presents key findings based on substantial evidence from epidemiological studies and fundamental research in animal models.

The supplement was funded by the Associação Industrial e Comercial do Café. The entire issue has been made available on a no-fee basis at IOS Press - Journal Issue.

An example:

Quote:
The findings of the previous studies are somewhat inconsistent, but most studies (3 out of 5) support coffee’s favorable effects against cognitive decline, dementia or AD. In addition, two studies had combined coffee and tea drinking and indicated some positive effects on cognitive functioning. For tea drinking, protective effects against cognitive decline/dementia are still less evident. In the CAIDE study, coffee drinking of 3–5 cups per day at midlife was associated with a decreased risk of dementia/AD by about 65% at late-life. In conclusion, coffee drinking may be associated with a decreased risk of dementia/AD. This may be mediated by caffeine and/or other mechanisms like antioxidant capacity and increased insulin sensitivity. This finding might open possibilities for prevention or postponing the onset of dementia/AD.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #2

What a nice post to see while I am drinking my morning coffee - thanks for posting

Old 05-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I know coffee is good for me! It puts a big smile on my face every morning!

That's why I go to the trouble of ordering my beans from my favorite roaster (I may get back to roasting my own some day) and let my DH spend ridiculous amounts of $$ of primo coffee grinders, etc.

Audrey
Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jack and the Magic beans...
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Administrator

Wonderful!! (as I gratefully suck down my one daily cup of half decaf, half coffee).

Guess this would give me an excuse reason to increase my coffee drinking to 3-5 daily cups of REAL coffee. Ah, how heavenly that would be! I might never sleep again, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

The problem with these observational studies is we never can be sure whether caffeine consumption just happens to be an association with less cognitive dysfunction, or if there is an actual causal effect. Nevertheless, I am going to continue drinking my coffee.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The two magic "beans" which we ferment, dry, and then roast for our pleasure: Coffee and Chocolate.

Coffee is actually the fruit pit of the coffee cherry. Origin - Ethiopia.

Chocolate beans come from a fleshy pod which is the fruit of member of the mallow family (like okra and hibiscus). Origin - Central America.

I don't know how I would live without either of them.

Audrey

I tasted a coffee cherry once in Hawaii. It tasted kind of like a white grape - small, fleshy and juicy but light flavor.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Administrator

OK, after reading this thread I finished off the coffee pot. So there. I'm not even sorry about it (though I may change my mind around 3 AM tonight)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Is this the "what are you drinking" thread. The antioxidant super tea tmm First Blush organic white tea with 100% pure chardonnay juice. Got it sight unseen from the online grocer. Not bad but I though I was ordering a very cheap wine.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Is this the "what are you drinking" thread. The antioxidant super tea tmm First Blush organic white tea with 100% pure chardonnay juice. Got it sight unseen from the online grocer. Not bad but I though I was ordering a very cheap wine.
What a surprise that must have been!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

It is by the beans of java hat thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion ...

It seems that usually whenever there is a controversy amongst professionals, the topic of the controversy turns out not to be that important, that is, if researchers can not figure out whether coffee is good or bad for you despite spending tons of research dollars on the subject, it likely does not really matter.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OK, after reading this thread I finished off the coffee pot. So there. I'm not even sorry about it (though I may change my mind around 3 AM tonight)
So, how did that pot of coffee affect you?

Was this you at 3am?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Medical News: NIH Panel Provides No New Clues for Unraveling Alzheimer's Disease - in Neurology, Alzheimer's Disease from MedPage Today
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So, how did that pot of coffee affect you?

Was this you at 3am?
Unfortunately, yes (cute emoticon, though! ). I didn't get to sleep until after 3 AM, and then I had wild and unsettling dreams. Only slept for six hours, too.

Serves me right. (sigh) Ah, but that coffee was divine.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #15

No real science please - we love our coffee
Coffee Doesn't Cause Dain Bramage
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #16

Coffee Doesn't Cause Dain Bramage

I drink lots of coffee and it hasn't caused any dain bramage at all !

Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I am glad it is good for me. It is tearing the heck out of my throat.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

That's why I go to the trouble of ordering my beans from my favorite roaster (I may get back to roasting my own some day) and let my DH spend ridiculous amounts of $$ of primo coffee grinders, etc.

Audrey
Not sure if it's good for me, but it's certainly good for those who have to be around me in the morning...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Audrey

I've never known anyone to roast their own beans before. Impressive..but how is it done? And where do you buy the beans to even roast??
Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I've never known anyone to roast their own beans before. Impressive..but how is it done? And where do you buy the beans to even roast??
Google for "green coffee beans" if you want to buy in bulk. Otherwise head down to a coffee shop and convince them to sell you some green beans.

They are roasted much like popcorn (but without the oil). You can use a pan with a lid (the hulls pop). Shake often. For more consistent results use a hot air popcorn machine. After a few minutes (about 3-5) the beans will turn brown. Keep roasting until you reach the desired color: medium, dark, etc.

Now cool them rapidly. The easiest way is to put them in a colander and head outside. Shake the beans in the colander to get the hulls to fly away. Alternative pour them between two bowls. Works better when windy. You're done.