Join Early Retirement Today

Coffee: Nectar of the Gods??
Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Coffee: Nectar of the Gods??

As a professional coffee drinker, I happily gulp down 3-4 cups in the morning and another 1 or 2 during the day. Recently I've read some conflicting articles on the effects of coffee.

I'm interested to know how much coffee is too much and how many cups per day do you drink.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm retired - I try to stay under 10 cups or two pots a day.

heh heh heh

Old 09-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

one cup in the morning after I get to work. Sometimes I'll have a second cup if I'm really dragging or if I plan on staying up later than normal (like on a Friday).

I've noticed if I don't have my one cup on weekends, I'm frequently pooped by 9:00 pm or so (having 2 rugrats will do that to you).
Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
Recently I've read some conflicting articles on the effects of coffee.
I've been watching that pendulum swing for years. "Uncommon Grounds" and "Caffeine Blues" scared the habit out of me for a couple months but I can't find any compelling reason NOT to drink it...

Quote:
I'm interested to know how much coffee is too much and how many cups per day do you drink.
I drink two 12-oz cups of green tea in the morning before brewing two 12-oz cups of Kona. I don't always get to the coffee before the day heats up so it's probably only 10 cups per week.

If you get headaches when you skip a day, or if you can smell coffee when you're using the bathroom, then you're probably drinking too much!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I got hooked on coffee in cold weather training in the Marine Corps. I found the magic of filling one of my cantines (sp?) with super hot coffee to keep my hands warm, and it stayed hot for a few hours. Now drinking coffee is one of the pleasures of life for me
Old 09-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #6

I drink 1 - 2 cups in the morning. I very rarely drink iced tea in the afternoon on a hot day. Other than that, I don't have caffeine in any other forms.

I recently stopped drinking coffee for a week or so and it took 2 days for the headache to quit.

You might try skipping caffeine and see what the impact is on you and how long it lasts.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Administrator

In college I drank maybe 8 cups a day or more. As a postdoc I began to cut back very slowly and eventually I wasn't drinking any coffee.

When I eliminated that last cup of coffee, I became absolutely hellish to deal with so after a few years I re-instated it. Now, I drink one cup.

I plan to start mixing a little decaf with my coffee soon, to cut back on the caffeine. Caffeine is a drug and I don't do (other) drugs. Besides, it messes with my sleep. But I agree - - like you, I do love coffee!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

about 16 -20 ounces each morning. If drink any in the afternoon, I can't sleep at night. I could do decaf, but would rather have beer at that time of day.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I am pretty sensitive to caffeine. I drink 11 oz of coffee early in the morning and nothing else with caffeine the rest of the day. If I have another one at midday, I can't sleep at all.

I love the small of it, the idea of it, the look of it . . . I'd give anything if I could drink more without feeling wired!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #10

one more cup...

Quote:
Being basically a legal drug, coffee is probably not that good for you. But I can think of a lot of things in my life that are not positive to my well-being, like 75-80 mph commutes! So I take two negatives together to make a positive. Negatives: 65 mile, pre-dawn commute + 16 oz of very strong coffee= positive: I survive the trip.

Sometimes I get a "senior coffee" ( I hate that term, but I take it anyway) on the other end, decaf, along with a small something to eat.

If I miss coffee on Saturday morning, I get a headache all day. That can't be good. I never drank coffee until I joined the Navy after college. Then I way over did it. I had to quit after a few years because my stomach would hurt all the time. Navy coffee. Then many years later I started back on an infrequent basis, which of course got very frequent. This led to heart skipping beats in scary ways. That qualified me for EKG on the treadmill, but it turned up nothing abnormal. I quit anyway, problem disappeared.

But current situation requires me to drink it to survive. Heart has been mostly ok so far. When I quit this madness, I'll probably go back to just tea again.

Tight
Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
When I quit this madness, I'll probably go back to just tea again.
Yeah....I started drinking green tea for a while but found that it doesn't give me the same pick me up that coffee does. I thought coffee and tea had roughly the same amount of caffeine. Maybe I was wrong.

One benefit of tea, no coffee breath.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #12

One superstrong cup in the AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGal View Post
I am pretty sensitive to caffeine. I drink 11 oz of coffee early in the morning and nothing else with caffeine the rest of the day. If I have another one at midday, I can't sleep at all.

I love the small of it, the idea of it, the look of it . . . I'd give anything if I could drink more without feeling wired!
They are working on a GM coffee plant - they just remove the caffeine producing DNA (or however they do that stuff). No caffeine, so no processing to remove the caffeine and all the flavor. Just brew as normal.

-ERD50
Old 09-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Being basically a legal drug, coffee is probably not that good for you. But I can think of a lot of things in my life that are not positive to my well-being, like 75-80 mph commutes! So I take two negatives together to make a positive. Negatives: 65 mile, pre-dawn commute + 16 oz of very strong coffee= positive: I survive the trip.

Sometimes I get a "senior coffee" ( I hate that term, but I take it anyway) on the other end, decaf, along with a small something to eat.

If I miss coffee on Saturday morning, I get a headache all day. That can't be good. I never drank coffee until I joined the Navy after college. Then I way over did it. I had to quit after a few years because my stomach would hurt all the time. Navy coffee. Then many years later I started back on an infrequent basis, which of course got very frequent. This led to heart skipping beats in scary ways. That qualified me for EKG on the treadmill, but it turned up nothing abnormal. I quit anyway, problem disappeared.

But current situation requires me to drink it to survive. Heart has been mostly ok so far. When I quit this madness, I'll probably go back to just tea again.

Tight
I had the same thing happen to me but with mountain dew, after I got hurt in the Marines, I had a wretched office job, and I would sit around chugging MDew all day. I thought I was actually having a big heart attack too, it scared the crap outa me.

I used to love the taste of mountain dew, but now it makes me wanna barf, I cannot stand it.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

2 large cups in the morning for me. Then I switch to diet coke by lunch. I know I should make the switch to green tea soon, but it's just too hard to pass up a cup of coffee in the morning.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyC View Post
2 large cups in the morning for me. Then I switch to diet coke by lunch. I know I should make the switch to green tea soon, but it's just too hard to pass up a cup of coffee in the morning.
What makes you think green tea is any better for you than coffee?

They are both plant products and water. Beans or leaves.

-ERD50
Old 09-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyC View Post

Yes. Some researchers indicate that green tea has higher levels of antioxidants than coffee. There is a little controversy on that point... especially by the coffee industry.

I have read that coffee has a higher level of caffeine.

My preference is coffee.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This will help you recycle the coffee daily grounds.

Used Coffee Grounds - Associated Content

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #19

Nectar of the Gods? YES, indeed. Just the smell of freshly ground coffee gets me high. Love love love it. And I am super sensitive to caffeine and discovered that my blood pressure is reactive to it. Have to drink mostly decaf. Otherwise, I've read that coffee has antioxidents, like dark chocolate, and that's all good.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Usual dosage consumption is 48oz in the morning, with an occasional extra cup at w*rk. As long as I eat on schedule, usually don't get "wired".

Occasionally get an afternoon "cap or frap"; also like "Irish coffee"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote