Join Early Retirement Today
Cognition for Finances--Declines from mid-50s
Old 04-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Cognition for Finances--Declines from mid-50s

Today's NY Times has an excellent article regarding how our financial cognitive capacity peaks in our mid-50s!! By 80, half of us will have significantly diminished cognitive ability for numbers and processes.

If the link does not work, it can currently be found easily in the list of "most emailed". I do also recommend reading at least the "most recommended" comments from Readers--69 when I was there last. Really personalized the challenges that come from loss of cognition for ourselves or aging parents. There have been a number of threads recently of Forum members dealing with estate challenges from their parents passing.

One commenter recommended a book "What to do When I am Stupid". Have anyone here read--it is worth the time?

This article IMHO is especially relevant to how much complexity some of us have in our financial lives (myself included). For example, I know I have way too many positions in our investment accounts, spread across too many institutions. Started the process last week by consolidating our investment accounts at Fidelity last week. Once that is done, will retitle to our new Revocable Living Trust so probate will not be an issue for the surviving spouse. I am now especially inspired to cut down the positions so the DW will not feel overwhelmed should she survive me and so I can be sure to be able to manage it myself.

nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I thought that assets with joint ownership were not subject to probate. Also, retirement accounts with spouse beneficiaries declared.

Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Index baby, Index
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Index baby, Index
+1 squared and to the tenth power !

Think I'm about ready to turn 80 !!!!!!!!!
Normal is an illusion...what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
W+W = double pssst!
“I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” Alan Greenspan
Bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
Yep, at 66 I'm sure I'm a lot dumber than I was at 55 when I lost a bunch on beaver cheese futures.

I'm not crazy. Honest, the judge had me tested.
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote