cognitive training, anyone?

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
I'm curious if anyone else here is doing a formal type of cognitive training program. I am in a study assessing the potential benefit of cognitive training on breast cancer survivors who have been through chemo and suffer classic "chemo brain" symptoms. My symptoms are very mild, but, frustrating (don't remember names well, occasional word-finding difficulties, don't multitask as well as I used to, takes more practice to memorize new information). I have to operate at a high level at work, so any mild decline is noticeable to me (but not to others, I hope!).

I have been assigned to do 2 hours of cognitive training a week for 5 weeks, focusing on "double decision" type activities. Double Decision | BrainHQ from Posit Science

Apparently, if you increase your ability to focus your attention and your speed of processing, you should see improvements in your memory. I've already noticed in just 4 weeks of training that I can remember my students' names better. Love that! Am hoping it will carry over to other daily tasks as well.

The ACTIVE study showed benefits to older adults as well. Apparently some of the benefits were maintained for 5 to 10 years even after stopping the training. Fascinating! Cognitive Improvement, Brain Processing - The ACTIVE Study | BrainHQ from Posit Science

I will be re-tested after 5 weeks, then take a break for 6 months and will be re-tested again.

This is a very interesting experience. I will say, I have to force myself to do the training. I get frustrated at times, and after about 20 minutes tend to get a headache. But, then, suddenly I will notice my brain just "sees" the target and my speed of response goes up markedly. It's a very automatic response, I can't just make it happen. Then, I'm motivated to do more. The brain is really an amazing thing!

Wow, that sounds like a neat program! Hope it really helps with the chemo brain issues. I don't know anything about this kind of thing, but from your description, it must be very cool!

It is cool, and different. We focus so much on physical health and aging, but brain health is just as important (or more so).

SG, I'd love to read your progress and updates on this. :)

Back
Top Bottom