Join Early Retirement Today

Cold weather sleeping
Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cold weather sleeping

With the low temps around here dropping down to 50 or lower almost every night i've been waking up with a sore throat from breathing the cold air all night. This happens every year around this time for me. I'm reluctant to turn the heat on this early in the season and am looking for cheaper alternatives. I thought about maybe trying to use a surgical type air filtration mask. Anyone try something similar or have an other ideas?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Wow, Aaron, 50 is perfect sleeping weather for me! Nothing like an open window, a warm blanket pulled up to one's chin, and a cat at the bottom of the bed as a sort of furry hot water bottle for the feet

Just wondering - have you considered fall allergies? Ragweed pollinates like mad in the fall. I am allergic to its pollen, and have to use Flonase every day to prevent sinus and throat infections.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Just wondering - have you considered fall allergies? Ragweed pollinates like mad in the fall. I am allergic to its pollen, and have to use Flonase every day to prevent sinus and throat infections.

Amethyst
It only happens at cold temperatures so I don't think it's allergies. I prefer to sleep at temps in the 70's. I have electric baseboard heat so I can heat just the bedroom. I think i'll have to go ahead and spend the extra $ to heat the bedroom when i'm sleeping. I'll make up for it by setting the rest of the condo at 50 all winter.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Have you thought about mayeb just using a humidifier by your bed? It wouldn't necessarily heat the entire room but it will help increase the moisture in the air and raise the temperature a little bit. I have the same issue and its what I do.
avengerki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I run a humidifier next to the bed all winter.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had a similar issue sometimes and I like to sleep in a cold room. I have done a simple pull the cover up to my forehead typed of deal. My mouth and nose is covered by the blanket/sheet, but not in close proximity that I feel 'suffocating'. That way I am breathing in warmer air and no sore throat in the morning.

Or I stop trimming the nose hairs and have a layer of fur to warm any incoming air
Old 09-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I have done a simple pull the cover up to my forehead typed of deal. My mouth and nose is covered by the blanket/sheet, but not in close proximity that I feel 'suffocating'. That way I am breathing in warmer air and no sore throat in the morning.
I've tried that and it works if I don't move at all during the night. That, however, almost never happens and I wake up with the blanket NOT covering my face and have a sore throat.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've tried that and it works if I don't move at all during the night. That, however, almost never happens and I wake up with the blanket NOT covering my face and have a sore throat.

Next move, duct tape.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Next move, duct tape.
That might work but there could be a small problem if I get a stuffed up nose.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sleep with a couple of cats and/or dogs in the bed. Pet hair is a strong allergen so it will desensitize you to the cold air and pollen.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Whenever I've had a sore throat come and go it was due to allergies causing post nasal drip. Each season has a new allergen, it seems. Have you tried taking an allergy pill before bedtime?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Whenever I've had a sore throat come and go it was due to allergies causing post nasal drip. Each season has a new allergen, it seems. Have you tried taking an allergy pill before bedtime?
I've never had allergies before but I talked to my mom about this and she said she never had allergies either until she was my age then they got worse every year since so maybe I am starting to get them too.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've never had allergies before but I talked to my mom about this and she said she never had allergies either until she was my age then they got worse every year since so maybe I am starting to get them too.
My allergies didn't really kick in until I was over 45. I take Loratadine, which you can buy very cheaply at Costco as a generic. Of course with your sleep problems maybe you'd like benadryl better.

Loratadine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My allergies didn't really kick in until I was over 45. I take Loratadine, which you can buy very cheaply at Costco as a generic. Of course with your sleep problems maybe you'd like benadryl better.
Loratadine does nothing for me. I do like benadryl at night though, helps me sleep and takes care of my sinus problems. Not so good for the day as it makes me sleepy then too. Claritin-D works well, but you have to get a doctors prescription for it here in MS, which is a pain in the behind. No refills either.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ever try a Neti pot? Yea, for people that never have, it's a "teapot" for your nose. It a process of nasal/sinus cavity cleansing (ratio 16 oz room temp water to 1 tsp of non iodized salt - sea salt works). I was always having issues with nasal passages closing up only when I would go to bed and for years had to do Rx nasal sprays, Flonase, etc. I tried the neti pot about 10 years ago and starting doing it daily until my symptoms subsided. Now I hardly use the neti pot, only a few times a year now and rarely ever use Rx or over the counter nasal sprays too. I would do this shortly before bedtime and it definely keeps your nasal/sinus/throat area hydrated for sure. Also, you have to keep some tissues around so your nasal passages drain out.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Loratadine does nothing for me. I do like benadryl at night though, helps me sleep and takes care of my sinus problems. Not so good for the day as it makes me sleepy then too. Claritin-D works well, but you have to get a doctors prescription for it here in MS, which is a pain in the behind. No refills either.
I was taking Clariton D also and quit because of the hassle of buying it. Its two ingredients are loratadine and pseudoephedrine sulfate. I found that the loratadine alone was enough for me and is freely sold. The pseudoephedrine is a decongestant.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Ever try a Neti pot? Yea, for people that never have, it's a "teapot" for your nose. It a process of nasal/sinus cavity cleansing (ratio 16 oz room temp water to 1 tsp of non iodized salt - sea salt works). I was always having issues with nasal passages closing up only when I would go to bed and for years had to do Rx nasal sprays, Flonase, etc. I tried the neti pot about 10 years ago and starting doing it daily until my symptoms subsided. Now I hardly use the neti pot, only a few times a year now and rarely ever use Rx or over the counter nasal sprays too. I would do this shortly before bedtime and it definely keeps your nasal/sinus/throat area hydrated for sure. Also, you have to keep some tissues around so your nasal passages drain out.
That is about how it went for me. I had post nasal drip that caused me to constantly clear my throat. It drove people around me nuts. Antihistamines and nasal sprays did no good. I also used to get a lot of nosebleeds in the winter from the dry air. The neti pot (actually, one of those squeeze bottle versions from CVS, with the paper saline packets) cleared up both problems. I used it every night for almost a year but now I use it maybe once every few weeks. I will probably increase use in the winter.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My guess wold be allergies, as others have also said. Maybe molds- as the temp drops, you are closer to dew point most of the time, and certain molds thrive. Either heat of dehimification should work fine to correct this. Can you run your AC in that room only on dehumidify?

Ha
Old 09-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

You could use a heater in the bedroom one night to see if it's allergies or it's in fact the cold air that is bothering your throat. I am one of those people whose throat (and sinus) get affected by cold air.

I'd try the humidifier as another poster has suggested.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I'm with your Mom, Aaron. My allergy problems kicked in during my early 30's. Before then - I was like - What's an allergy??

Amethyst

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote