Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was sedated for mine but went to the gym in the afternoon for a workout, a little shorter than my usual. I tend to listen to my body more than I listen to the doctors when it comes to physical exertion.

As for "clear liquids"- I told my doc I'd finished off with a chaser of good scotch after drinking all the prep stuff to get the bad taste of the prep solution out of my mouth. He laughed and said that was OK.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I specifically asked and they just told me not to drive.
I would interpret that as meaning I had to stay on the putting green.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

My doctor, who was a low key kind of guy, had recommended several times that I get a colonoscopy but I always put it off. No history of colon cancer in the family. One day in 2008 at age 59 I went in for a check up and he had an intern he was training. He turned me over to her. She asked about the colonoscopy and I gave the usual reply that I'm going to get one some day. Her answer was "ok lets set that up right now". I knew it was the right thing to do so I didn't argue with her.

They found two large polyps, too big to remove while doing the colonoscopy. Afterward the doctor came in, told me what he had found, showed me pictures and explained that he took samples for biopsy. The solution was to remove about 4 inches of my colon. As he left he said "I'm concerned about this" After sweating it out for a couple of days the news was good, no evidence of cancer. But in time it would have been. I had the surgery and recovered quickly with no lasting effects. I remember asking the surgeon what effect removing 4 inches of colon would have and his answer was "none, you have more than you need".

Anyway, if I had not had the colonoscopy I no doubt would have regretted it very much a few years later.

And I'll always remember the young doctor who pushed me into it.
upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

my dr friend says it's difficult to detect colon cancer without a colonoscopy
Old 07-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

There's bad, and there's good.

The bad was a colonoscopy @ age 53 that resulted in in a sigmoid re-section because of cancer. Back in 1989, the operations was more difficult than today, and resulted in weeks in the hospital, and not being able to stand up straight for three months. Much easier today, and sometimes can be done with a laparoscopy.

The good is twofold... the worry about recurrence caused a rethinking about early retirement, which we decided to try. The second part, is that there was no recurrence and we're still retired...27 years later.

"Tis an ill wind that blows no good..."
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upset264 View Post
And I'll always remember the young doctor who pushed me into it.
I hope you had a chance to thank her! I did go back to my gynecologist and thank her profoundly for recommending the fecal occult blood test that gave me the nudge I needed to get the colonoscopy.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Colonoscopies are piece of cake. Surely, you master the art of holding in while rushing to the bathroom, but you are unconscious during the procedure. I have had 3. Don't be a sissy.

The real big deals are procedures when you have to stay awake (it may or may not involve your bottom). Now, that's something to complain about. Or going through major surgeries, and having scars a foot long to remind you of the experience...

Among medical experiences, a colonoscopy is not a "life changing" experience. Wait till you get a real one.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think of a colonoscopy as a "colon cleansing" followed by some procedure.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a wimp about medical stuff. But really a colonoscopy is not a big deal at all. The prep is mildly annoying, for the few hours you are doing it. But it gives me a chance to catch up on some reading, while on the can. And the procedure is just a nap. I do recommend propofol sedation over other options, such as versed and fentanyl, if you are given a choice.*

* Nothing in this post constitutes medical advice. You should discuss the risks and benefits of any medication and medical treatment with your treating physician.
medved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The real big deals are procedures when you have to stay awake (it may or may not involve your bottom).
Like a prostate biopsy.

My first two were without anesthesia, and I would rate them as the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever had (although not especially painful).
The next two were with anesthesia, and a piece of cake.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm 60 and on the 5 year plan. Need to get it done for the 3rd time real soon.

Question for all the 2 or 3 timers-did you have to pay any $ out of pocket?
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #52

my first one was 5 years ago... found 1 polyp. Just had my second.. none found

The prep is not fun, but not really that bad. It works exceptionally fast for me. I was just hoping the nothing would be found. We had a friend our kids who when through colon cancer in the last couple years... In his late 20's.

Before I went in I heard a doctor giving the results to another patient. "everything looks fine. found a few polyps. We'll get back with you within a week on the pathology"
While that may be good news, I preferred the "every thing looks normal, no polyps." Unfortunately I am still on the 5 year plan.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post

I've had 2. They found polyps on the first one, none on the second. I didn't have to pay for either one. I, too, am on the 5-year plan.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Like a prostate biopsy.

My first two were without anesthesia, and I would rate them as the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever had (although not especially painful).
The next two were with anesthesia, and a piece of cake.
I am fortunate so far to have been spared that one.

As I have said before, as we grow older, we get more and more chances to go through procedures and treatments like that. People will remember their colonoscopy fondly, and wish everything could be so benign.

"Old age is no place for sissies." Bette Davis

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I specifically asked and they just told me not to drive. There were okay with my playing golf. I don't think they got to my intestines? difficult to tell since I was passed out on my side lol
I was just really surprised after the instructions we received. I am not a doctor.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Anesthesia did not affect me that badly, and I had general anesthesia all 3 times, and two different types.

Can't remember the names, but with one, I soon forgot what happened immediately after waking up and putting on my clothes. The only lasting memory was from the time I walked out with my wife's help. With the other type, which is newer, it was no different than waking up from a sleep. I remembered everything from the moment I woke up.

With either type, after the 30-minute drive that my wife took me home, the drowsiness was gone, and the rest of the day felt just normal, although I stayed home and did not do anything that could be hazardous.

Also had a sigmoidoscopy which I chose the option to stay fully awake. Ugh! That was a bit uncomfortable.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post

If they are coded correctly where they have found polyps before and you are not on medicare... it will be considered surveillance which is diagnostic and you should end up paying the agreed upon rates. If they code it as preventative, then you may luck out.

Look at your insurance guild lines for care.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #58

I'm wondering, for those on Medicare, does Medicare cover 100% of the cost?

Does it make a difference if you have it done at a hospital or a center that specializes in colonoscopies?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

For those interested in avoiding the small but life-threatening risks of the colonoscopy procedure (punctured colon--it happens!), the good news is that the US Preventative Services Task Force has just come out (JAMA, June 2016) with recommendations that say, for screening, annual fecal blood testing is as good as colonoscopy (and it's a lot cheaper/easier/safer). I think that once one of the screening methods finds evidence of a problem, then you are going to be stuck with colonoscopy.

No doubt your doctor might not agree that non-invasive screening is equally good, but consider that might be based on personal opinion, tradition, or his/her lifestyle needs.

The important thing is to make your choice (about screening options) and do it. Colon cancer is NOT something you want to die from...as anyone who has had a friend or relative die from this disease knows all too well.

From the JAMA article (link at bottom):
Evidence Review The USPSTF reviewed the evidence on the effectiveness of screening with colonoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, computed tomography colonography, the guaiac-based fecal occult blood test, the fecal immunochemical test, the multitargeted stool DNA test, and the methylated SEPT9 DNA test in reducing the incidence of and mortality from colorectal cancer or all-cause mortality; the harms of these screening tests; and the test performance characteristics of these tests for detecting adenomatous polyps, advanced adenomas based on size, or both, as well as colorectal cancer....
Findings The USPSTF concludes with high certainty that screening for colorectal cancer in average-risk, asymptomatic adults aged 50 to 75 years is of substantial net benefit. Multiple screening strategies are available to choose from, with different levels of evidence to support their effectiveness, as well as unique advantages and limitations, although there are no empirical data to demonstrate that any of the reviewed strategies provide a greater net benefit. Screening for colorectal cancer is a substantially underused preventive health strategy in the United States.
Screening for Colorectal Cancer:**US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement | Jun 21, 2016 | JAMA | JAMA Network
plsprius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
If they are coded correctly where they have found polyps before and you are not on medicare... it will be considered surveillance which is diagnostic and you should end up paying the agreed upon rates. If they code it as preventative, then you may luck out.

Look at your insurance guild lines for care.
I lucked out. This was my 3rd, history of polyps but new insurer. I was asked to pay up front for the doc and the facility, which totaled about $1,000. I later got notices that the insurance paid in full. I don't know why but I'm not complaining. The doc and facility fees were refunded to me.